Author Topic: Dressing for engine hoses?  (Read 627 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dressing for engine hoses?
« on: September 13, 2016, 11:21:22 AM »
Dear mid-60s engine bay experts,

A friend of mine started applying ArmorAll on the hoses in his engine bay, so I decided to try it.  Here is what the engine bay looks like "as is:"

I didn't really do a real cleaning and detailing.  Instead I just used mineral spirits to remove the bulk of the grease and dirt and then applied my usual long-lasting tire dressing.  This is the result:

The effect is subtle but I think it gives the engine bay that extra touch of elegance.  I haven't seen anybody else doing this.  Is this a mistake that damages the hoses?  Is there any other product besides tire dressing that is a better choice?

A curious mind would like to know!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Dressing for engine hoses?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:37:57 AM »
Hi Edouard,

Nice touch in your engine compartment that is a head-turner to start with.  I've seen that done before and I'm not aware of any detrimental effects to the hoses from ArmorAll.

Now, for those of us that are going for the "factory look", the raw rubber is as authentic as we can get.  I doubt there was any ArmorAll in the factory!

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
A product for the "factory look" ? (Re: Dressing for engine hoses?)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 11:06:45 AM »
Dear Chuck and mid-60s Buick engine bay fashion experts,

Nice touch in your engine compartment that is a head-turner to start with.  I've seen that done before and I'm not aware of any detrimental effects to the hoses from ArmorAll.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but actually I used the long-lasting tire dressing from Meguiars called Endurance:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g7516-endurancereg-tire-gel/#dwXPvPw4UFwopcpT.97

It does have one downside.  You need to be careful to buff the hose otherwise it leaves an oily residue that is slippery and will bind dust to your hose.

Now, for those of us that are going for the "factory look", the raw rubber is as authentic as we can get.  I doubt there was any ArmorAll in the factory!

Actually, there is a product that might restore that raw rubber look to any hose that has gotten dirty.  It's from Griot's Garage and is called Rubber Prep:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/rubber+prep+16+ounces.do

It's intended to remove everything before applying some sort of a dressing, but if you don't apply anything afterwards it should leave the tubes looking like they did when first installed at the factory.  I've never tried the stuff, because so far I haven't had a need to clean rubber that completely, but perhaps someday.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: