Author Topic: Dependability - Classic cars as daily drivers  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
Dependability - Classic cars as daily drivers
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:57:56 AM »
I would like to get some opinions on this, mostly curious. I have had a few classics over the years, never really did a complete ground up restoration, however, had the joy of driving these cars around quite a bit after doing the necessary repairs and mods. As far as classics go, do you feel your cars (non-EFI) are quite acceptable as daily drivers? Do you treat it as something you would drive anywhere, or is it just a collector/hobby car?

I guess they never would reach the dependability of a new car. It just got me thinking after reading through some of the posts on aftermarket fuel injection systems and the difficulty with getting these to work well. I have been thinking of the 200-4R trans upgrade, along with a fuel injection system, however, I am not convinced it is the way to go, seems there are still a lot of problems with these aftermarket EFI setups. I will initially keep mine stock and see how it goes. Of course, I probably would not drive it cross country, but then again, that's what everyone did back in the day.

What do you think?  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

-George

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Dependability - Classic cars as daily drivers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:09:36 AM »
We drive our vintage cars a lot, including 11 trips on the Hot Rod Power Tour. We have had minimal issues and these are usually between 2,000 and 4,000 miles in a week. Of course years ago all of these cars were someone's main mode of transportation. The key is keeping things up mechanically. Sometimes the more you drive them the better they run. Sitting around excessively is not that great for the cars. Modern upgrades do help especially brakes and air conditioning. For our '57 Dodge truck cruise was a must for driving any long distances.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
Haven't used one as a DD in a long time, mainly because of the northern midwest climate.
I drove my 66 Impala daily for 4-5 years from April to October after it was driven to MN from the west coast.
It never let me down. Currently shows about 155K miles. Had to replace a fuel pump 15 years ago or so,
and the car was at home when that happened. I would add an electronic ignition conversion to a points car.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 01:52:09 PM »
I used one of my 65 Gran Sports as a daily driver a few years ago. It was essentially stock with an electronic ignition upgrade and an Edelbrock carb.

Never gave me any problems, although it didn't look the greatest. I would do that again, just not with a real nice car.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 03:19:54 PM »
My commute currently is under two miles, so once I get the car together, I won't be too worried. 
-George

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear George, Jim, Mark, Tom, and mid-60s Buick classic transportation,

As far as classics go, do you feel your cars (non-EFI) are quite acceptable as daily drivers? Do you treat it as something you would drive anywhere, or is it just a collector/hobby car?

A car that is left in its ~1965 condition will have the hassles of cars of the day.  You can't just start the engine and go.  The climate control won't be as convenient, etc.

I started trying to modernize my trusty wagon because I wanted to enjoy her as I enjoy modern cars.  However, I ran into a rather hopeless problem.  Once I made her into a very nice looking classic, she was vulnerable.

If you are planning on a short commute and it isn't too badly congested using a classic as a daily driver might work out fine.  However, I'm always nervous driving here in congested (and incompetent) San Francisco East Bay conditions.  We don't have a car that we really feel could be "thrown away."  So driving around with people who really do consider their cars expendable is hard to swallow.  As long as you didn't put too much effort into restoring a classic perhaps having to put it together again after an accident is part of the restoration experience.  However, I think it is too hard to get the parts to stomach having to find rare parts after an accident.

It is really your call.  Even on a 2 mile commute there are plenty of opportunities for an incompetent driver to wreck your classic.  Even if you go several years, that first accident will break your heart.

My 2 cents, . . . . . Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 09:57:48 PM »
^^^^^ Yeah, that's my biggest concern, getting hit by another driver.
1) Make sure you have adequate insurance.
2) Consider upgrades such as brighter taillights or adding a third brake light in the rear window.
3) Drive defensively, always watching for the unexpected!

A '65 is fine for a daily driver. But constant short trips are hard on exhaust systems and engine oil since it doesn't get hot enough to get rid of moisture build up in those systems. Just take the long way home sometimes!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 05:00:23 AM »
Hi,

Back in 2008 I got my 4 door 65 Special from Brian Stone,  and proceed to use it as a daily driver.  At the time I was working in NC and going home to MI every other week (800 miles each way).  Granted all the nos hoses, belts and factory style hose clamps went shortly after using the car that much, but after that it was very dependable. 

I put 30,000+ miles on it over 3 years and once I finally got a job back home I used it as a daily driver for another 2 years. At that point it developed a engine issue, ring or piston and has been sidelined, but as soon as my other projects get to a point it will be back to a driver.

Currently I am fixing up a 65 Cutlass for a daily driver/cruiser.  I bought all of my cars to use and enjoy.

As stated have insurance that you can live with if something does ever happen, I've been rather lucky with my old cars, unlike my 07 Ram over the last 7 months has hit 3 deer, 1 turkey and had someone run into it.  So would that have happened if I was driving a old car, maybe, but either way I get to drive something I enjoy to drive, and all I can hope is something doesn't happen, only worry about what you can control, otherwise you will go nuts and having a old car will loose its appeal.

Regards, 
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 06:46:05 AM »
I should add that we put the Sylvania Xtravision headlights in the cars too, make a big difference driving at night. Lots of deer around here.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
2-Wheeler as alternate. (Re: Classic cars as daily drivers)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 11:19:32 AM »
Dear Walt, Jim, Jim, and mid-60s Buick lovers,

I agree that things like running light upgrades are a good idea.  If you can manage to set up a 3rd brake light that will help because drivers are used to having those now-a-days.

Something else to think about is that 2 miles isn't very far.  If you are in good enough physical condition, that ought to be a relatively easy commute by bicycle.  One of the reasons my wagon is still around is that I commuted most of my life by bike and usually the distance was much farther than 2 miles.  When the weather is good biking is great exercise and sparing your classic the engine start for a short hop will prolong the life of the engine.

If a bicycle isn't your style perhaps a simple scooter might due if the roads are safe enough for that sort of thing.

Some more food for thought!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 11:08:54 PM »
To clarify my previous post, I have about a 15 mile drive each way and not during the typical drive to/from work that most *normal* people endure.  :icon_biggrin:  All fluids would reach normal operating temperatures during each trip. An occasional tire chirp or bark "might" have happened too.  :nono:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
I agree that some updates like lights,brakes,etc...can be a positive to the overall safety of the car,but as far as any dependability argument goes....any mechanic would probably feel better driving a 65 Buick from Jersey to L.A than a new car. There is not too much on our old cars that can't be diagnosed in about ten minutes. I think oil pressure,water temp,and just plain maintainance like belts,hoses would be the biggest concern. A good radiator and a car with no leaks is a universal inspection on any car,tractor,etc.....It is my belief that anyone could drive a 1965 car cheaper than a new one.

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 09:44:47 PM »
2) Consider upgrades such as brighter taillights or adding a third brake light in the rear window.

A '65 is fine for a daily driver. But constant short trips are hard on exhaust systems and engine oil since it doesn't get hot enough to get rid of moisture build up in those systems. Just take the long way home sometimes!
What exactly is the issue with moisture build-up on short trips?
-George

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 10:56:51 PM »

What exactly is the issue with moisture build-up on short trips?

.....short trips are hard on exhaust systems and engine oil since it doesn't get hot enough to get rid of moisture build up in those systems.....

^^^^ moisture in the exhaust system makes it rust out faster.  Moisture in the oil isn't good for the inside of the engine either. Combustion isn't efficient in a cold engine, so carbon may build up in the combustion chambers, pistons, and valves.
I'd consider a 'short trip' to be under 5 miles or so, where the engine doesn't get fully warmed up.
A longer trip once in a while (once a week?) will boil off that moisture and get rid of those potentially harmful effects.

In my case, I live 3 miles from work. My daily driver doesn't even fully warmed up on the trip.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 08:39:26 AM »
In Late November of 2010, someone made my son an offer on his "daily driver" that he couldn't pass up. So you can guess the rest of the story. He didn't get another until the middle of February. So I let him commute in my '73 Century 350.0 Car was bone stock, including points, and had wide tires not so good for a snowy Cleveland winter. He made to work every day (20 miles round trip) without fail, but he wasn't comfortable knowing what could have happened nothing did, and this is what it looked like come spring after he cleaned it up for me.

So can you, yes; do you want to, probably no.... True story.

Jerry
Jerry