Author Topic: How many are two many?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline 65gs76limited

• Crazy about Buick!
How many are two many?
« on: July 21, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »
This is definitely a sickness we all suffer with.I'm not looking for another car but they seem to find me!I get a call last week from a friend who sees a 65 Riviera setting out in a front yard,no FOR SALE signs but figures i might be interested anyhow.I take a 35 minute ride to look and sure enough it's sitting in the yard but no one around.I'm not the type to go snooping around a car with out permission but i have no problem walking up on the poarch and knocking on the door.No one home so as I'm leaving i get the address and write it down.When i get home i Google the address and get a phone number,tell me you guys would go this far and I'm really not mentally disturbed.Anyhow i make the call and get the wife, her husband is out of town until Sunday afternoon and she knows nothing about the car.This is Wensday so i put the number in my wallet so no matter where I'm at Sunday afternoon i can make the call.Sunday rolls around and i can't waite to talk to this guy and i don't even know if the car is for sale! I call and the owner answers.I tell him who i am and was wondering if the Riv was for sale?He says yes bring me 6,500 dollars and you can drive it home today.Now i don't know about you guys but I'm somewhat of a cheap ass or so I've been told on more than one occasion and don't think the car is worth anywhere near that BUT i have to drive the 35 minutes back out to see it anyway.Turns out it a solid Calif. black plate car that he bought about five years ago and drove it home from Vegas. Low option 401 needs restored but much better than a parts car.We get to talking and he says you can buy either one cause he has(here's where it gets interesting,i know this has been long but stay with me)another one buried in the back garage and it's one of those GS'.Yep,he has a all original 65 Riviera GS buried in the back garage and it's been there for about 18 years. Let me know if you guys want to hear the rest of the story.     Tom

Offline Joe65SkylarkGS

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: How many are two many?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 05:21:52 AM »
Your perfectly normal!!!

It's a sickness and we all got it!!!!

Now, where's the pics??
Going Fast with Class
GSCA # 3741
1965 GS 4 Speed Hard Top (Under Construction)
1965 Skylark 462, 12.21@109.8
1964 Special FireBall V6, 3 on the tree 4 Sale
1987 Grand National
1987 SS Monte T-Tops 4 sale
1995 Slammed Asstro
17 in Boyd Coddington
Daily Driver

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 01:13:55 PM »
Yes.  Now we want to hear how interesting this already interesting story gets!
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 03:47:59 PM »
Tom.. I can probably already guess the ending to this story but please tell us more...

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »
It's not a sickness by any means.  ;D Keep us posted.

I know of a 63 or 64 Riv (not sure of year but it has clamshell headlights), and a 68 Sportwagon that are just sitting in a dry building. They've probably been there for many years. I made one discreet inquiry about them, but have not established personal contact with their owner. I have limited funds at this time anyway, but you never know............
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline 65gs76limited

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 07:31:19 PM »
Well all righty then kiddies.We walk around the side of the building and another garage door is opened and the guy says,"there it is."Now I'm required by the State of Ohio to wear corrective lenses when i drive but my eyesight isn't that bad.I don't see anything but a bunch of junk.I asked the guy"where do you see a car in there?"He points to the middle of the building and says"see,it's right there."I followed his finger and low and behold i caught about the last 8-10 inches of what looks like a Astro Blue 65 Riviera.At this point i almost have a pre-mature discharge(i sure everyone following this has been there)but i keep my composure not wanting to show any intrest in the car.Now there is so much crap in this garage i can't get anywhere near it to look at it and it wouldn't have done any good cause you can only make out the last couple inches of the left quarter.He goes on to say that the car is complete and has white interior with power drivers seat and those automatic wing windows(Power Vents.)and that big chrome air cleaner.Still not wanting to show any intrest in the car i tell him i have a buddie looking for one(I'm sure everyone that's a car hore has used that one before)and how much are you looking to get out of it.He says i gotta get XXX.XX amount of dollars for it before i let that one go.Joe i didn't have my camera with me but i will get some pics as i left a message on his answering machine.Now that everyone is up to date I'm back to the original question as am i mentally disturbed to want this car seeing as how i already have a #'s matching small emblem Sahara Mist 65 GS that Ive been trying to get done for the last 6 or 7 years?How cool would it be to have have two of these!I'll keep you posted on the progress but just to make it more interesting,the XXX.XX dollars was less than the first Riv but the condition of this one is unknow at this time.       Tom

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »
Ok Tom...

Here is my take on your situation.

You are crazy! 

You are a very disturbed individual that needs an extreme amount of help!

This is what I want you to do.... it's a simple two step process for recovery.

1.  Pass on this car.

2.  Give me the lead so I can buy it.

I'll clean her up and drive it back up to your place so you can witness exactly what you've missed out on.

I figure that this should cure any sickness that would cause you to even second guess yourself on missing out on what could be the purchase of a lifetime!  ::)

Hell most of the fun is chasing these cars down and discovering the new treasures still out there.

All kidding aside, if this is one you decide to pass on, I would appreciate the opportunity to check it out myself and maybe join the Riv club.

Best of luck on your find,

Chris

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:08:52 PM by Chris At 65GS »
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 09:53:55 AM »
I am your buddy looking for one, remember? I'll give you $XXX for it, too!
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »
Only 3 $X's? That's a deal!! ;D

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline halfmoontrail

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 01:25:53 PM »
I also suffer from the same sickness, but learned long ago that it is manageable if I can afford the hobby, without depriving the family and without any illegal activities.

You hit the nail on one point though...it is really difficult to finish any one project if you have other cool projects lurking in the garage. Case in point is my '69 Corvette 435 hp convertible, I worked on it hard for about 3 years, and then let it slide. Just now trying to finish it. Chris and Dan on here know about my '65 GS convertible, that has held a low place on the priority list for about 18 years...it's next after the vette, I promise...

Although the '72 GS and the '70 Cutlass Supreme convertible 4-speed both insist they are next!

Buy the Riv GS!

Steve