Author Topic: Pipes exhaust 2.5"?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
Pipes exhaust 2.5"?
« on: April 17, 2016, 01:49:07 AM »
Meant to say "Pypes ".

With a 301 motor, pretty much stock, except for a 4-barrel carburetor, is 2.5" too big? Shouldn't the small blocks run 1.75 pipes?
-George

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Bigger won't hurt (Re: Pipes exhaust 2.5"?)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 09:34:16 AM »
Dear Polishmeatballpizza and mid-60s Buick fans,

Meant to say "Pypes ".

With a 301 motor, pretty much stock, except for a 4-barrel carburetor, is 2.5" too big? Shouldn't the small blocks run 1.75 pipes?

A larger exhaust can't hurt anything except for the hassle of installation.  I have a friend with a 64 Buick who is going to 2.5" exhaust.  He is planning to upgrade to the Buick 350, but that's a modest increase in displacement.

I have a Pypes 2.5" exhaust, but my wagon has a Buick big-block engine and long-tube headers, so she does need at least 2.5"  Here is a photo of how the installation looks:

My friend decided to go with the TA-Performance exhaust because there is a consensus on V-8 Buick that the TA-Performance systems fit a bit better:

http://www.taperformance.com/

That's something you might want to consider although I don't know what the 65GS.com crowd thinks.  I don't believe this question has come up since I've joined.

Cheers, Edouard

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Bigger won't hurt (Re: Pipes exhaust 2.5"?)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 12:09:26 PM »
Dear Polishmeatballpizza and mid-60s Buick fans,

Meant to say "Pypes ".

A larger exhaust can't hurt anything except for the hassle of installation.  I have a friend with a 64 Buick who is going to 2.5" exhaust.  He is planning to upgrade to the Buick 350, but that's a modest increase in displacement.

I have a Pypes 2.5" exhaust, but my wagon has a Buick big-block engine and long-tube headers, so she does need at least 2.5"  Here is a photo of how the installation looks:

My friend decided to go with the TA-Performance exhaust because there is a consensus on V-8 Buick that the TA-Performance systems fit a bit better:

http://www.taperformance.com/

That's something you might want to consider although I don't know what the 65GS.com crowd thinks.  I don't believe this question has come up since I've joined.

Cheers, Edouard

That does look nice.

Am I correct in assuming Pypes is THE choice for exhaust? What about Flowmaster? Any others out there?

Should I get headers, or stick with the stock manifolds?

Which mufflers? I don't want this LOUD. I prefer a nice "quiet" rumble. It's ok if it's loud when I punch it, I just don't want that drone at highway speed. I want to cruise and be able to listen to the radio too.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:13:02 PM by Polishmeatballpizza »
-George

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Pipes exhaust 2.5"?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:59:13 PM »
For a 300 engine you could use a 2" system. If you will be upgrading to a 350 at some point in the future I would then use 2.5".

Tom T.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »
Full length headers for the 300 are no longer available. They were once made by Poston Enterprises.
Shorty headers are avail, but you're probably better off just using the stock manifolds.

Be aware the 64-67 cars are longer in the trunk area than a 68-72. Make sure the tailpipes are designed for a 64-7 if you want them to exit at the bumper. TA Performance sells extensions for this purpose.

I'm not too familiar with the Pypes systems, even tho they are local to me! Best to call them and ask which mufflers are the quietest.
$510 for a stainless system isn't bad. Oddly, according to their site,  the 'Race Pro' mufflers are quieter than the 'Street Pro'.

I got a killer deal from Amazon on a Magnaflow 15893 a few years ago, about $350. Now it's $675. Nice system with several tailpipe exit options. I hated the mufflers, too loud, replaced them with some Walker Dynomax. They are preferred by many for their mellow sound.

I swapped the old 2-1/4" system onto my 300 '66 Special. It sounded great on the 401 GS, but awful on the 300, lots of raspy popping. bought some stock Walker mufflers for it and it sounds nice..... healthy like a musclecar but not loud.

A 2-1/4" system would be fine for you. 2" would work too.
If you don't need a stainless system, Summit has a 2-1/4" aluminized steel system for $210. You will need to fab some extensions to fit the stock exhaust manifolds.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680120/overview/year/1966/make/chevrolet/model/chevelle

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:18:10 PM by WkillGS »
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 09:10:29 PM »
A 2-1/4" system would be fine for you. 2" would work too.
If you don't need a stainless system, Summit has a 2-1/4" aluminized steel system for $210. You will need to fab some extensions to fit the stack exhaust manifolds.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680120/overview/year/1966/make/chevrolet/model/chevelle

I don't need stainless.

The exhaust system you linked is for a Chevelle - are these all the same?
-George

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 09:43:45 PM »
Several years ago I had a 64 Skylark convert with a 300 ci 2 bbl engine. I had a local muffler shop install a full dual system with stock manifolds and a decent pair of low restriction mufflers. Those were reasonably quiet while cruising around. That alone really woke up that engine. Wouldn't bark the tires, but it did help low end performance. I did surprise an IROC Z-28 one day.  :hello2:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 09:45:06 PM »
If you search for '1965 Skylark' it would result in the same system.
A 'header-back' exhaust system would be the same for an A body Chevy, Buick, Olds or Pontiac. It won't connect to the stock exhaust manifolds until you add the extra pipe (downpipes) required to reach them. Those would need to be custom made, but parts (flanges, elbows, straight pipe) could be bought from an auto parts store and easily cut and assembled.
This system will likely need some cutting/trimming for the best fit.

A 'mandrel bent' pipe would have less restriction than a conventional stock-type bend. Also costs more. This one has mandrel bends, so that's good!

Tailpipes exit straight back so they are likely long enough to reach the bumper for a 64-67. You can add angled or downturned tips later if you want.

If you want an exact-to-original system, Gardner Exhaust offers a '67 GS 340 system that is absolutely incredible, but it's also over $700!
http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/1967-buick-exhaust-system.html

Walt K
Eastern Pa

79 Turbo Regal

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 09:46:52 PM »
Several years ago I had a 64 Skylark convert with a 300 ci 2 bbl engine. I had a local muffler shop install a full dual system with stock manifolds and a decent pair of low restriction mufflers. Those were reasonably quiet while cruising around. That alone really woke up that engine. Wouldn't bark the tires, but it did help low end performance. I did surprise an IROC Z-28 one day.  :hello2:

Midas Muffler once offered stock replacement pipes but I don't think they are still available. Might be worth a try tho.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Don't know about smaller . . . (Re: Pipes exhaust 2.5"?)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 09:49:54 PM »
Dear George, Tom, Walt, and mid-60s Buick exhaust experts,

Am I correct in assuming Pypes is THE choice for exhaust?

As you can see, there are many choices.  I don't know about the quality, but I have bought a lot of stuff from Summit!  (Haven't we all? . . . :laughing7: )

Which mufflers? I don't want this LOUD. I prefer a nice "quiet" rumble. It's ok if it's loud when I punch it, I just don't want that drone at highway speed. I want to cruise and be able to listen to the radio too.

You might be able to go with the stock mufflers since you are stuck with the exhaust manifolds (unless you get seduced by a Buick 350.)  I have the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on my wagon:

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo-mufflers/super-turbo-offset-offset-17798.html

They are free flowing but quiet enough that you can hear the stereo (especially with electronic fuel injection, but that's another story!  :laughing7: )

There are Dynomax 2-1/4" mufflers that are roughly equivalent.   You do have a lot of choices when it comes to exhaust systems so you might want to shop around a little.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 11:06:53 PM »
If you search for '1965 Skylark' it would result in the same system.
A 'header-back' exhaust system would be the same for an A body Chevy, Buick, Olds or Pontiac. It won't connect to the stock exhaust manifolds until you add the extra pipe (downpipes) required to reach them. Those would need to be custom made, but parts (flanges, elbows, straight pipe) could be bought from an auto parts store and easily cut and assembled.
This system will likely need some cutting/trimming for the best fit.

Are there any systems that would bolt up to the stock manifolds,  or,  do they all require custom down tubes?
-George

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 09:41:45 AM »
The Parts place has this one. Says it's complete:

EX12858S   (1964 - 1965 Skylark/GS/Regal/GN)
EXHAUST SYSTEM PRE-BENT TO FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS - ALL SYSTEMS INCLUDE CLAMPS 2 HEAD PIPE 2 MUFFLERS, 2 TAIL PIPES, ALUMINIZED 14 GAUGE WITHOUT RESONATOR    
$329.00
Walt K
Eastern Pa

79 Turbo Regal

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 12:48:19 PM »
Another. It's a stock-type system. Note how the bends are a smaller diameter than the rest of the pipe. That'll hurt the flow.

http://waldronexhaust.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_31_366&products_id=3848
Walt K
Eastern Pa

79 Turbo Regal