Author Topic: Gasket Sealer?  (Read 735 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Gasket Sealer?
« on: March 28, 2016, 10:26:18 AM »
I'm about to start the rebuild of my engine and I'm curious if anyone uses any type of gasket sealer in your rebuilds.  I assume the OEM metal head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets wouldn't get any sealer.  But what about the front cover, oil pan, valley and valve cover gaskets?  I've heard good and bad about RTV and know if used, t needs to be very sparingly.  So interested in what's worked well on your Nailheads.

Thanks!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Gasket Sealer?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
Chuck,
    I use Hylomar on steel head gaskets EXCLUSIVELY!!! On the other gaskets, except intake, can use the old Permatex 300 brown colored, brush on or sparingly RTV, usually the Gray import stuff. Use NOTHING on the oil pump pick-up or oil pump to block gasket. On the pick-up bolts I usually safety wire them & use red Loctite on the bolts to keep from loosening, which they WILL do. As far as the timing cover goes. Nothing will seal properly if there is ANY corrosion where the cover mounts to the block or where the water pump mounts to the cover. I will usually machine the surfaces to make them flat & get rid of the deeper pitting. Usually .020"-.030" will do it for either side. Now you need to make a shim to go behind the water pump pulley the same thickness, or close, as what was removed from both sides to keep the pulley's lined up.

Tom T.

Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:55:02 PM »
Thanks Tom.  Looks difficult to find Hylomar locally; I'll have to get it from Amazon I guess.  Just brush it on the entire surface of both gasket faces, right?

And no sealer on the intake gaskets, correct?

Using the Permatex 300, do you coat both sides of the gasket or just the sides that are not against the engine block?  The block should be straight and flat; I've been told by others to only use sealant on the other side (oil pan, etc.) where the other sealing surface is likely to be more irregular.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 04:41:57 PM »
Yes Chuck, both sides of the gasket. If you want to be positive about the intake gaskets you could use the Aerobic sealer made by Lock-Tite which is called gasket eliminator 518 sealant with an item # of 51813. Gasoline doesn't harm or dissolve it & it remains pliable for just about forever & is easy to clean up. I've used this with NO gaskets on "Nails" at all without any problems.  I coat BOTH sides of the gasket with my finger. Normally NO sealer is needed for the water manifold gaskets to the head. Before you tighten the timing cover bolts, just finger tight, install the water manifold. Makes it MUCH easier because the gaskets to the head are so thick. We DON'T want to cut the o-ring. If you forgot & tightened the cover bolts don't despair it can still be installed. For the o-ring to make sure it DOESN'T LEAK. I clean the sealing surface where the o-ring sits in the timing cover removing ALL corrosion. If ANY corrosion is left in there it will only give it a path to leak. Now you can use a little gray import silicone in the bottom of the cover & some around the neck of the water manifold. This will ensure a positive seal. Next I use an inner valve spring shim & mount it against the water manifold. It can be anywhere between .030"-.060" thick. The thicker, to some degree, ( not nec.) will insure a positive seal. As much of a pain it is to remove the manifold again this is ONLY an added precaution. You will have to machine the OD of the shim to fit into the timing case cover.  Install the manifold into the o-ring then install the manifold to head gaskets. These gaskets are pretty thick & will be kind of a pain to get into place.  Install the 2 bolts into the opposite side. Then just use a long device to be able to put some force to it. Don't go crazy because you could damage the o-ring. What we are trying to do is NOT cut the o-ring. Usually I use the yellow glue (we in the business call it yellow snot) to hold the pan gasket to the block & nothing on the pan side. Most have a tendency to over tighten the pan bolts TOO much. Read the manual as far as torque specs. go. The valley & valve cover gaskets. Again, I use the yellow snot to hold the gaskets to the covers. Then a finger swipe, again, of the grey import silicone. It keeps things sealed & IF nec. to remove for some reason, if you take a rubber mallet & give it a good wack they will usually pop off without destroying the gasket.
To me this is engine ( not motor) rebuild 101.
I could type for days & NEVER give all the info. When you pay me to rebuild your "Nail" it's these little details that count which takes time & time is $$$$.

Tom T.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com