Author Topic: Engine Removal?  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Engine Removal?
« on: January 22, 2016, 06:26:18 PM »
After a long delay I'm finally ready to pull the engine on the red car. I was going to pull the engine and trany at once but decided to remove the trany first. 
This is my first time pulling a Nailhead, so I'm wondering what guys typically use as sling attachment points. I was planing on attaching the sling chain's to the back of the head's at the firewall and using the upper bolts on the of the manifold that runs from head to head.
I did leave the exhaust manifolds on. 
Thanks in advance.   
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Engine Removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 06:56:48 PM »
That's where I use for lift points. I also have an engine leveler that allows for changing the angle on the engine.

Good luck with it,

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 06:57:33 PM »
I used Brian's recommended technique, removing the intake manifold and attaching chains used those manifold bolts.  Thread:  http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=2246.0

My painter likes to use a carb adapter plate, as shown by Dr Frankenbuick in the referenced thread.  Apparently both work well.  Pictures below.

Let us know how it went!

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 07:05:46 PM by cwmcobra »
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:04:27 PM »
If you have the trans out and hood removed, then the carb plate is the way to go.  I would use carb studs with nuts rather than bolts.  If you have power steering, disconnect hoses at the box and pull the pump mounted in place.   Pretty easy job.
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 10:17:20 AM »
Thanks sharing your experience. We used a combination of suggested methods. The front chains were fastened to the upper water manifold bolts, we had to use the aft intake manifold bolt positions for the rear straps as I couldn't get bolts started in the back of the head.  Vinnie stopped by and most of the work, I just spilled transmission and anti-freeze fluids everywhere.
I have renamed the starter, drivers side exhaust manifold and the guy that designed that set-up.
Anyway, engines out and on the stand and we still have all our fingers.         
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »
I have renamed the starter, drivers side exhaust manifold and the guy that designed that set-up.       

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 11:20:42 AM »

Mark

Don't think they are printable on this site. LOL

LOVE that ships clock on the wall !!  At least that's what I think it is.  Where do I get one ?

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »
One of my Mini-Starters will solve the starter dilemma.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »

Mark

Don't think they are printable on this site. LOL

LOVE that ships clock on the wall !!  At least that's what I think it is.  Where do I get one ?

Dan

Dans correct, I won't go into to many details, however, the new name does make reference to their family ancestry.  Dan that clock is an old aviation navigation training aid. Sorry, it's a one of one.

telriv, tell me more, I'm interested. I'd hate to put this thing back together and have starter problems. Feel free to post here or send me a pm.

The engine is not original to the car although it appears to have been in there for sometime, it's an LT engine but I can't explain the color it looks like an Oldsmobile color. 
I did remove the exhaust manifolds today, great news all 16 bolts came out without snapping off.

Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 05:49:40 PM »
Dans correct, I won't go into to many details, however, the new name does make reference to their family ancestry.  Dan that clock is an old aviation navigation training aid. Sorry, it's a one of one.

telriv, tell me more, I'm interested. I'd hate to put this thing back together and have starter problems. Feel free to post here or send me a pm.

Boo-Hoo. On the other hand, can vouch for telriv's mini starters.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 06:41:11 AM »
1st.   Thanks Dan for the positive words about my Mini's. I'm sure there are others ALSO who are pleased. Honestly there have been some problems, but NONE to do with the actual starter itself.
While the manifolds are off get the mating surfaces re-surfaced & DON'T USE GASKETS & install the "French Locks".
The Mini's are $319.00 + shipping which fit in a medium "Flat Rate Box". I believe the cost is $15.00 now that USPS has raised the rates. They are 6lbs. 12ozs. Don't sound like a Mini-Starter & fit with headers unlike some others who say theirs do. In stock ready for shipping.

Tom T.
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply Tom. I'm going to open this engine up for inspection, depending on what I find it may or may not go back in the car. If it goes back in, I'll want a mini starter. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 11:12:01 AM »
Forgot to mention. When having the manifold sealing surfaces finished I don't mean a belt sander.  Leaves the surfaces not true & rounded off.  The ONLY proper way is to have them cut on the head re-surfacing machine. In my area costs around $225.00.
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 12:34:26 PM »
Forgot to mention. When having the manifold sealing surfaces finished I don't mean a belt sander.  Leaves the surfaces not true & rounded off.  The ONLY proper way is to have them cut on the head re-surfacing machine. In my area costs around $225.00.

What's your location Tom?
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 12:57:48 PM »
Connecticut
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.