Author Topic: 65 GS 401 Air Cleaner and Silencer Assembly Needed  (Read 1144 times)

Offline 1971

• Crazy about Buick!
65 GS 401 Air Cleaner and Silencer Assembly Needed
« on: January 09, 2016, 05:17:43 PM »
To all you Buick Guys,
    I'm back on this great (Buick) website as I have got many parts and questions answered.  I'm going through my wife's 65 GS and need a "65 GS 401 Air Cleaner and Silencer Assembly.  At least that is what my manual calls it.  I call it an "Air filter Assembly".
Would someone have this?  Also, if you just have the "base", I would purchase that.  Some of my Buick friends call this "Air Assembly" a Pancake?  thanks, Richard

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS 401 Air Cleaner and Silencer Assembly Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:15:42 PM »
I have a few, not sure which are 65 and which are 66. Is yours a Fremont car, I think they have an extra fitting?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:19:17 PM by GS66 »
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
CA has been "at it" for over 50 years . . . (Re: 65 GS 401 Air Cleaner)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 09:44:01 PM »
Dear 1971, Jim, and mid-60s "states rights" Buick types, . . . . .

I have a few, not sure which are 65 and which are 66. Is yours a Fremont car, I think they have an extra fitting?

I think what you are referring to with that "extra fitting" is the crankcase recirculation system that was required in California only in 1965 (perhaps earlier.)  It pulled vapors from the crankcase to be sucked into the carburetor to "reduce air pollution."  Of course this was the first instance (that I know of) where a government mandate required that you "poison" your engine with exhaust gases.  :angryfire:

Of course if you really want an original 1965 California car you should replicate it.  On the other hand, my trusty wagon has lived in California all but 3 months of her 50-1/2 years and . . . . . she didn't have any reservations about stopping to inhale exhaust!  :laughing7:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 12:49:39 PM »
There is an a/c or non a/c piece that does or does not belong. Possibly all California cars had the extra port into the base. I know my Flint built car just had a plug in the valve cover and no extra provision in the air cleaner.The one pictured is an a/c car that has the original base. My Flint car does not have the elbow and hole from the valve cover.

Offline 1971

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 09:32:43 PM »
Dan,
        Thanks for the photo, it will help in identifying the pancake air filter assembly I need.  The engine in my wife's 65 GS is a non-California car and does not have that extra fitting shown in that picture.
                                                                                                                         thanks
                                                                                                                         Richard

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 08:56:49 PM »
Hello Richard.. If you havent located one yet, I have a few 65 GS air cleaners!
Contact me direct: PenWheelz2@ij.net

Wheelz, Tampa Bay
Wheelz, Tampa Bay