Author Topic: Rear Axle Colors  (Read 999 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Rear Axle Colors
« on: January 09, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »
I'm about to prep my axle to go off for blasting and thinking about how to paint it when it returns.  So, I've been looking at a number of pictures and discussions in the Projects section and I'm confused.  I see that John's and Dan's axles are painted all black (GM Chassis Black, I presume), with one also having a recreation of the colored paint markings that it had originally.  I also see Mark's axle with the center section in "bare metal" and everything else in black.  Was there a variation in how the axles were painted based on what plant they were assembled in?  My car was built in Flint; is there a right and wrong way to do this?

Thanks,

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Rear Axle Colors
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »
Chuck,

Think that Mark's rear axle would be the 'correct' one. The rear axle in my Bamboo car is painted that way (without the stripes).

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:52:11 PM »
Thanks Dan.  That's the way my painter says they did the GTOs as well.  Bare metal it is!

Have a great weekend!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 06:19:28 PM »
There were variations....
My silver '66 housing from Fremont didn't have a trace of black paint on it but did have green axle tube stripes. Only the cover was painted black. I believe the orange paint marks denote a posi.
The bare/cast iron center section with black axle tubes is popular.
Many (most?) assembly line cars just got a quick, sloppy, shot of black paint on the front and rear suspensions to keep them from rusting so they looked decent while in the showrooms and dealer lots.

Take your pick of the above options!

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal