Author Topic: Da' further adventures of da' trusty billy-goat wagon!  (Read 20633 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
For display or operation? (Re: Da' trusty billy-goat wagon! )
« Reply #450 on: November 23, 2022, 12:28:35 PM »
Dear Jim and mid-60s Buick caregivers who are rain averse,

Hi, if the arms stop in the same spot all the time You should be able to just lift the arms off and rotate them to the park position and put them back on.jim

Is the idea just to get the wipers down on the cowling so it doesn't look so weird, or do you think the wiper would actually work after that?

My thinking is that the motor will rotate to move the wipers down the windshield from the current parked position.  That is what it is doing now.  If I rotate the wiper mechanism so the wipers are down, then the motor would still turn in the same direction and try to move the wipers down into the cowling - obviously that won't work.  Am I missing something?

Thanks for trying to help!

Edouard

Offline Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Da' further adventures of da' trusty billy-goat wagon!
« Reply #451 on: November 23, 2022, 04:16:15 PM »
 Hi Edouard,
The wiper motor rotates only one way from what I remember.

https://www.google.com/search?q=clasisic+car+wiper+motor+operation&oq=clasisic+car+wiper+motor+operation&aqs=chrome..69i57.21513j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:34ecd5d1,vid:Pa4jv8FvjAQ

This video explains it, even though its a few years newer than our cars.

Happy Holidays, and hope your 2023 is going to be 1000 times better than 2022 for you.  :icon_thumright:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 04:18:50 PM by Jimbo »
Jim
Chicago

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #452 on: November 23, 2022, 05:13:44 PM »
Hi, you can pull the arms off make one out cardboard tape it on and run the wipers to see what you have.Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Something for next year. (Re: Da' trusty billy-goat wagon!)
« Reply #453 on: November 25, 2022, 03:48:42 PM »
Dear Jim, Jim, and mid-60s Buick rain averse types,

The wiper motor rotates only one way from what I remember.

Okay, that's interesting.  I never thought of the wipers operating in much the same way as the rods of a steam locomotive.  In that case it should be possible to move the wiper mechanism to park the wipers correctly.

However, back in the Autumn of 2014 the same motor was parking the wipers too low.  Here is a photo that I took in part to explain why we had to send the motor back to Detroit Speed:

So I definitely need to be a bit cautious with this rig.

Hi, you can pull the arms off make one out cardboard tape it on and run the wipers to see what you have.Jim

That would certainly be a way to run a test safely.

However given a December 16th surgery date, I think I'll wait to take this on until I've recovered from that.

Happy Holidays, and hope your 2023 is going to be 1000 times better than 2022 for you.  :icon_thumright:

Thanks!  I sure need a change in my fortunes!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
First outing since the deluge! (Re: Da' trusty billy-goat wagon!)
« Reply #454 on: January 18, 2023, 02:02:49 PM »
Dear 65GS.com fans of a certain rascally wagon,

California has been making the news headlines with all the extreme rain events.  We are finally catching a break after essentially a month of wet weather.  My trusty wagon hasn't been out since mid-December so it was overdue.  I ran over to get some groceries and on my way back took this photo a historic site nearby:

I'm sure she was happy to "stretch her legs" again,

Cheers, Edouard

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #455 on: January 18, 2023, 05:29:07 PM »
She's lookin' good, Edouard! And thanks for showing some of us that live in the northern part of the country what sunshine looks like!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Biquette and autumn trees. (Re: Da' trusty billy-goat wagon!)
« Reply #456 on: November 21, 2023, 01:33:36 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who are a fan of a certain rascally wagon,

Last Friday, I had one more skin cancer surgery.  It was a Mohs procedure under local anesthetic to remove a small basal cell tumor on my scalp.  They were able to remove the tumor with clear edges in an hour and half and send me home.  There was one more surgery on my left ear in October to remove the remaining noninvasive melanoma.  I'm not doing as well on that one because a skin graft was necessary and the ear continues to be very tender.  Still, unless they find something new, I should be at the end of all these cancer surgeries.  I see my dermatologist tomorrow for another 3 month checkup.  We shall see . . . .   

On Monday, I took my trusty wagon to a shopping center that always has beautiful trees in the fall.  I couldn't resist taking a few pictures:

Here is one more:

I took advantage of the Detroit Speed black Friday sale to buy the upgraded Selecta-Speed Wiper Kit:

https://www.detroitspeed.com/products/electrical/selecta-speed_wiper_kits/parts/121601

That will solve the wiper parking problem Biquette has had since last autumn.  However, I'll have to face the same switch modification problem I had with the previous kit.  I'll be asking for advice on that one once I get the kit in my hands and can size up the problem!

Thanks for your support!

Edouard

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #457 on: November 22, 2023, 08:36:05 AM »
So sorry to hear of more surgery. You continue to be in my prayers.

Always great to see the beautiful pictures of Biquette.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Nothing new found by dermatologist. (Re: Da' trusty billy-goat wagon!)
« Reply #458 on: November 22, 2023, 03:09:17 PM »
Dear Loren and mid-60s Buick caregivers who are in need occasionally of some care themselves,

So sorry to hear of more surgery. You continue to be in my prayers.

Thanks for the prayers Loren.  This morning my dermatologist didn't find anything that required anything more than some freezing by liquid nitrogen.  So I seem to be finally at the end of the tunnel at least when it comes to skin cancer surgeries.

Always great to see the beautiful pictures of Biquette.

Thanks, hopefully she will finally get some much needed luv' now that I'm past all these trials.

Edouard

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #459 on: November 22, 2023, 04:25:32 PM »
   Edouard, You are in our prayers. Take the time to heal and enjoy driving your Buick. The photos of the trees are beautiful, have a blessed Thanksgiving with your family...

Tony & Karen
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #460 on: November 22, 2023, 05:34:30 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving! Great news...Congratulations. I am sure everyone here is very happy for you. Prayers definitely work. :hello2: :hello2:
Jim
Chicago

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #461 on: November 22, 2023, 05:42:54 PM »
What a long road Edouard, all the more wonderful to be near the end of it. Prayers from here as well for your full recovery!

Enjoy a blessed Thanksgiving!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #462 on: November 22, 2023, 09:40:38 PM »
Hi Edouard,
What great news!
Wishing you the best of luck on a full recovery.
Marcus

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #463 on: November 23, 2023, 01:17:49 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Edouard