Author Topic: Power Antenna?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Black wedge

• Buick Fan
Power Antenna?
« on: December 20, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Will a power antenna fit in the stock location on a 65 Skylark/GS?  It would be nice not to deal with manual one anymore.

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Power Antenna?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 08:34:42 PM »
Black Wedge

Welcome to the group.

Good question with 22 hits already.

We are not the only two with your question.

Again welcome to the group.

Milton
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline gearhead46

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 10:27:33 PM »
I bought a universal power antenna at O'Reilly.  I took the manual antenna out and tried to put the power one in its place.  I gave up after an hour or so.  It looks like the rf fender needs to come off to mount it properly. Definitely not a drop I , but should work if the fender is already off.
Professor Gearhead
65 Gran Sport Sport Coupe
57 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop
57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 04:26:28 AM »
If the car does not have factory AC on it, then yes, you can put a power antenna in it.  The mechanism has to go down into the cowl area to the outside of the passenger side kick panel.  If the car has factory AC, then the evaporator core box occupies this area and you cannot install a power antenna. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Black wedge

• Buick Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome!  I'm currently disassembling the front end to clean and paint the wheel wells, firewall etc.  The fenders will be coming off so I figured it would be a good time to look into a power antenna.  The car does not have AC so it looks like I'll pick up a universal power antenna and give it a try.

Thanks!

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 11:42:45 AM »
As Milton said , seems to be a fair amount of interest in the idea.

Keep us updated and pictures are always great.

Welcome,
  Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Where were you 20 years ago! (Re: Power Antenna?)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:16:22 PM »
Dear Black wedge, Milton, gearhead46, Brian, Loren, and 1965 Buick music lovers,

Not to digress too much but I could help but chuckle reading this thread.

Will a power antenna fit in the stock location on a 65 Skylark/GS?  It would be nice not to deal with manual one anymore.

I bought a universal power antenna at O'Reilly.  I took the manual antenna out and tried to put the power one in its place.  I gave up after an hour or so.

Around 20 years ago I got a universal unit from J.C. Whitney and . . . . also gave up.  I don't think I tried for an hour - it looked plenty hopeless.

At the time, my wagon was kept outside and so I had a car cover over her most of the time, so the antenna was a problem.  At first, I cut a slit in the car cover for the antenna.  On later car covers, I removed the antenna before putting the cover on.  This wasn't so bad, because I only used my wagon once a week to get groceries and go to church.  Eventually, I came back home and my trusty wagon is back in the garage.  So having an antenna isn't a problem anymore except for the worry of it getting snagged by a branch.

Nonetheless, the antenna situation still feels really silly, because I've gotten so used to playing music from my smart phone to the Custom Autosound 630 stereo in my wagon via Bluetooth.  So in the end the antenna is only there to fool the public at car shows!

Nothing about a classic car is as simple as it looks!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 07:28:57 PM »
The ones I have seen on cars like ours have been mounted on the rear quarter panel instead of the front fender.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 09:11:24 PM »
I should be cringing at the thought of a non-original part on a 65 GS. It does sound like a cool idea if you are not going back all "restored". The problem is that most GM cars have a power antenna in the fender or in the rear quarter panel. Our cars actually would have to have it installed inside of the cowl to put it in stock location. I think it could be done,but the question is the finish of the job. You would either have to weld in the fender to make a smaller hole or use a factory teardrop bezel and make the antenna fit it for height and diameter purposes.I would not even attempt it with the fender installed.I think it would be a trial and error to make it look like it was meant to be. You would probably have the fender off and on several times to make it a successful fit.Basically you would be mounting the antenna solid and adjusting the height until the finished bezel or hole was aligned and tightened.

Offline Black wedge

• Buick Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »
I should be cringing at the thought of a non-original part on a 65 GS. It does sound like a cool idea if you are not going back all "restored". The problem is that most GM cars have a power antenna in the fender or in the rear quarter panel. Our cars actually would have to have it installed inside of the cowl to put it in stock location. I think it could be done,but the question is the finish of the job. You would either have to weld in the fender to make a smaller hole or use a factory teardrop bezel and make the antenna fit it for height and diameter purposes.I would not even attempt it with the fender installed.I think it would be a trial and error to make it look like it was meant to be. You would probably have the fender off and on several times to make it a successful fit.Basically you would be mounting the antenna solid and adjusting the height until the finished bezel or hole was aligned and tightened.

True, you might not want to do this to an original GS, my car is a Skylark. 

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »

[/quote]

I think most of us would agree that " if works for you, it's good".  And there is nothing wrong about a Skylark. Our '65s ,whether it be a Special, Skylark or a Gran Sport are the best of the A body's

There are a lot of different facets to the hobby, just enjoy and don't forget to keep us up on the progress.  It sounds interesting and something I have thought about also.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »
It seems like the trick would be finding a small enough antenna to fit in the area. I think you would also want a high quality part because you will not want to try to find a replacement if it quits on you. I was wondering if you could buy or create an escutcheon to sandwich the teardrop bezel in a fixed location and just use a delco antenna that pushes up through the hole. It would be nice to use a factory piece from a corvette,riviera,etc...because if you mounted it permantly fixed in the cowl it may be easy to replace without messing with the fender at all once you are done.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Different could be better in some cases. (Was: Power Antenna?)
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »
Dear Black wedge, Loren, and mid-60s Buick creators of something "special" (no pun intended.)

I think most of us would agree that " if works for you, it's good".  And there is nothing wrong about a Skylark. Our '65s ,whether it be a Special, Skylark or a Gran Sport are the best of the A body's

There are a lot of different facets to the hobby, just enjoy and don't forget to keep us up on the progress.  It sounds interesting and something I have thought about also.

I think Loren is making an important point that everyone restoring cars of this period should consider.  In some cases it is really a good idea to restore a car to as close to factory specifications as possible.  If you have a original car in good condition, that's clearly the way to go.  However, there are mid-60s Buicks who aren't so lucky, but nonetheless can be restored.  If you really cannot put the originality back into the car, why not consider another direction?  My understanding is that the prices for "restomods" are increasing much faster than original cars.  While they still aren't worth as much as a truly original car, there appears to be a new kind of buyer that wants a classic car with modern amenities.  Unfortunately, many of these "restromods" are nothing more of a gutting of an old car to put in a modern crate drivetrain, but you don't have to be crude.  I'm really pleased at how my wagon has turned out even with small updates that nonetheless make driving her more safe and enjoyable.  I got caught in some unexpected drizzle and got to try out the Detroit Speed interval wipers for the first time.  It was very nice to turn the original Buick windshield wiper knob, but have the extra convenience and safety of interval wipers.

It is a different kind of restoration, but it is one that can make a car more appealing to a new kind of classic car buyer and could be a lot more enjoyable for you.  With those modern conveniences, you might drive your that classic more often than a car stuck with all the limitations of 1965.

Some food for thought.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: