Author Topic: Could someone take a photo of the center A/C vent in a original 1965 car?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear mid-60s Buick "cool-cats" . . . .  :glasses9:

I'm revising the two poster panels of pictures and text that I put up at classic car shows describing the lengthy 47 year story of our trusty wagon with our family.  I really haven't updated it since 2011, so most of the details of how the engine bay and dash were modified are missing.  One of those details I would like to explain is how I created the center dash A/C vents using some round Old Air Product round vents:

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/accessories/32-13/louver-p-3343.html

This is what I ended up with:

In order to explain the differences between the A/C on my wagon and the 1965 Buick factory air, it would help me if someone could take a picture of about this same location in a 1965 A-body with factory A/C.  Can anybody get into their car without disturbing its winterized state and grab me a quick photo of approximately this region of the dash above the radio?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can pull this off!  :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Could someone take a photo of the center A/C vent in a original 1965 car?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »
Edouard - when I get home from work, I'll take a picture of my car and send it to you.  I'm in Southern California, so winterizing a car means nothing to me!!!

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 05:50:56 PM »
From my parts car, now going into my restoration.......of course, ignore the aftermarket radio that will not be used!

:cheers2:

Chuck

PS:  If you need higher resolution, let me know....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:52:43 PM by cwmcobra »
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks! (Re: Photo of the center A/C vent in a original 1965 car?)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 04:58:30 PM »
Dear Keith, Chuck, and mid-60s cool-cats, . . .  :glasses9:

Thanks guys!  :thumbsup:  I figured this was the right place to ask!

Edouard - when I get home from work, I'll take a picture of my car and send it to you.  I'm in Southern California, so winterizing a car means nothing to me!!!

Definitely no rush, but I assume you have an original looking radio - correct?  If so a photo of that setup would make the comparisons easier on the viewer.

From my parts car, now going into my restoration.......of course, ignore the aftermarket radio that will not be used!

Thanks, I've downloaded the photo.  I was worried for a second about that aftermarket radio!  Do you have a usable trim place so that you could put back an original looking radio?

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:11:53 PM »
This is from a different angle but may work for you.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
Re: Thanks! (Re: Photo of the center A/C vent in a original 1965 car?)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
Dear Keith, Chuck, and mid-60s cool-cats, . . .  :glasses9:

Thanks guys!  :thumbsup:  I figured this was the right place to ask!

Definitely no rush, but I assume you have an original looking radio - correct?  If so a photo of that setup would make the comparisons easier on the viewer.

Thanks, I've downloaded the photo.  I was worried for a second about that aftermarket radio!  Do you have a usable trim place so that you could put back an original looking radio?

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers, Edouard

I do have a usable trim piece for the radio.  I combined parts from the parts car and the restoration and have a pretty good looking dash panel.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks! x2 (Re: Photo of the center A/C vent in a original 1965 car?)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 09:37:57 PM »
Dear Dan, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick audiophiles, . .

This is from a different angle but may work for you.

Thanks Dan, yes that helps because it has the original Buick radio.  That will be less confusing to a neophyte. 

I do have a usable trim piece for the radio.  I combined parts from the parts car and the restoration and have a pretty good looking dash panel.

. . . Well don't just stand there,  leaving us in suspense!! . . . . . What sort of a super-deluxe audio system are you going to put into that authentic 1965 Buick radio space! . . . .

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
Re: Thanks! x2 (Re: Photo of the center A/C vent in a original 1965 car?)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 09:48:45 PM »
I haven't decided what to use for an audio system yet.  I have two original AM radios.  I like the idea of something that will do FM with USB/Aux inputs.  I think that you have already done that, Edouard.  Do you have any new suggestions for me?   :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure I can find something to work as a "head unit".  The bigger challenge will be where to mount speakers.

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Some audio choices. (Was: Center A/C vent in a original 1965 car?)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 11:32:47 AM »
Dear Chuck and mid-60s audiophiles,

I haven't decided what to use for an audio system yet.  I have two original AM radios.  I like the idea of something that will do FM with USB/Aux inputs.  I think that you have already done that, Edouard.  Do you have any new suggestions for me?   :thumbsup:

I'm sure you realize that the trade-off is convenience versus originality.  I put a Custom Autosound 630 into my wagon, but that's because I've had a Custom Autosound stereo in the car since around 1990, so I was used to that.  As you can see in my photos, you can customize that stereo to look really close to stock, but it won't fool anybody who actually knows what a 1965 Buick is supposed to look like.  To preserve originality, there are two routes.  One is a modern stereo hidden somewhere like the glove compartment.  The other is to have your stock radio modified to carry additional functionality without changing its external appearance.  There is this electronic system that can be tucked away into the original radio:

http://randbvintageautoradio.com/radio-conversion.html

This is a rapidly evolving technology.  Last time I checked there was no voice control technology built in.

I'm pretty sure I can find something to work as a "head unit".  The bigger challenge will be where to mount speakers.

The same trade-offs apply.  Since I wasn't aiming for a strict originality, I went the the custom autosound kick panel speakers which you can see under the steering wheel in this picture.

They do fit nicely, look neat, and clean and preserve the fresh air vents.  That's especially important for a car with Vintage Air A/C because the Vintage Air system is strictly recirculation only.   There are speaker systems that replace the original single speaker of the original car and you could try to tuck speakers behind the dash where the cannot be seen.  However, with the A/C ducting are area behind the dash will be plenty crowded.  You could give up on front speakers all together and try to go with rear deck speakers only.  Not sure how you could hide those speakers if you want to keep the trunk area looking original though.  Since I had to come up with a different setup for the rear speaker for my wagon, you probably need some advice from the rest of the guys around here on that problem.

Enjoy the challenge!  :laughing7:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »
I need a radio update too and have been looking at several options. Has anyone used the speakers that "hide" under the seat? The radios were easier in the 66's since a factory FM was available and they work just fine.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto