Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Any ideas?
« on: November 21, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »
I have some nasty arm rest cushions and I am looking for suggestions on how to restore them. I plan on sending the plastic bases in for new chrome,but I do not know what to do about the pads. These are the 14 inch pads that I do not see reproduced.Dan

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
About all you can do is watch for good ones to show up, unfortunately.

At one time someone had done a reproduction, but it was not very exact in size. It was smaller then the originals.  Close but visibly different.
I may still have a pair of those around.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »
Thanks Loren,
 I am definitely in need of a pair if you have some. I have a couple extra bases,but all my pads are very poor condition,Dan

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 04:36:39 PM »
I am going to be hurting for these very soon as well.  I have my originals which are/were very damaged.  I had a guy attempt to recover one with what I would call limited success.

Is there another model car that shares mountings with the GS whose bases and pads can be used in a pinch?

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
Not that I am aware of.
I see guys using sedan bases and pads,but I just can't do it.These look like they are molded with foam underlay and I was trying to think of a way to reproduce that correct look.

Offline tsollazo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:02:10 AM »
In case you're still hunting for these. the parts place repros them part IN2314S. The originals have a vinyl cover over a foam base. These are of a durable foam with the outer molded to the contour of the originals. They come in black only. I painted ours with adhesion promoter and matching acrylic lacquer. They came out very well IMO. The fit seemed to be ok. Never compared it to the originals. If you use these, be sure to take a razor blade to the foam flashing where the pad screws into the base. Many have not done that and thought they didn't fit. Clean that flashing off and they fit...At least mine did.

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 08:22:47 AM »
I bought the bases from OPGI they were Very good quality but mine is a sedan .However the pads just sucked they looked like crap i sent them back .they are made of hard plastic .i may have a spare set of oem sedan pads but i dnt think thats what you are looking for .I would think the sport coupe pads would be much more readily available then the post pads

Offline priariecanary

• Buick Nut
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 08:29:40 AM »
I used the parts place reproductions on my '67 and they look ok, better than torn orginals but they don't have the right grain and appear a little bit cheap on close inspection. As mentioned only a nit-picking Buick guy would notice the difference. Photo of those parts along with replated base is attached.

I also recently had some original pads remolded/recovered at Just Dashes. I had one set done in black for the '67 and one in red for the '65. They look more like the originals and have the proper grain. They color matched the paint for the '65. I haven't installed them yet but they paint looks a little more pink than than the original red. I don't remember the cost but nothing comes cheap from Just Dashes. Photos also attached.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 08:52:54 AM by priariecanary »
61 Lesabre bubbletop
62 Skylark Convertible 4-speed
65 Gran Sport 4-speed
67 GS400 Convertible
70 GS455 Stage 1