Author Topic: Rotisserie restoration tips  (Read 378 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Rotisserie restoration tips
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »
As we are preparing for the frame-off restoration of my 4-speed car I'm interested in your collective experience on the best method to brace the door openings while the body is on the rotisserie.  My painter likes to weld angle iron to old hinge bases, but it appears these top hinges are aluminum, so not weldable.  Any pictures, diagrams or other depictions of how you guys have successfully done this? 

Thanks,

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Rotisserie restoration tips
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 10:12:37 PM »
If you look at the posts related to my restoration five years back (It's called "Re: Restoring my Rusty 65 4spd convert from start (and hopefully) to finish") you will see some photos of my convert on the rotisserie.   No braces were used although most of the time the doors remained on.   :thumbsup:

Rob
65 Gran Sport Convertible 4 Speed

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Rotisserie restoration tips
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for the link to your restoration thread.  Looks like you had to deal with more body issues than I will and the car came out beautiful!  That color combination looks familiar  :thumbsup:

Interesting that you were able to work the body on the rotisserie without bracing.  Of course, if most of the work was done with the doors on, I'm sure that helped.  I'm equally sure that my "Old School" painter will not consider doing this without bracing, so I'm still on the hunt for more ideas in that area.

I hope we can get our red convertibles together in the future!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100