Author Topic: Nailhead Aircleaner Clearance  (Read 892 times)

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
Nailhead Aircleaner Clearance
« on: July 17, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
All

Does anyone know how much room there is between the top collar of our Carter and the bottom of the 65GS hood?

I know it can't be much because I see more than a few hood dimples left from the aircleaner hold down stud.

I measure the pancake aircleaner body as 1 1/2 inch and the lid an additional 1 inch in rise for a total of 2 1/2 inches but how much more clearance to the hood.

I have the same question for the 1963 Riviera my son has if you happen to know.

Milton
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Nailhead Aircleaner Clearance
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »
Hi Milton,

My technique for checking hood clearance is rather simple. I use the "modeling clay" method. Roll out a round tube at the approximate height and stick it to the top of the aircleaner at various locations, then close the hood, open and then measure how far the clay compressed. Since the bottom of the hood is not flat, the reinforcing structure under the hood, will hit first. Out of curiosity, I just measured mine and this is what I found. Putting a roll of clay next to the aircleaner wing nut, it compressed down to 2 1/4" clearance. This is with the hood insulation left in place. I put another roll of clay on the highest point of the aircleaner at the front edge. That reinforcing structure under the hood has 1 1/2" clearance.

Regarding your hardtop, the original owner switched out the carburetor with another Carter AFB and neglected to shorten the stud, consequently, that created a ding right in the center of your hood. I don't know about the clearance in Rivieras, but this simple technique should work for you.

John

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Nailhead Aircleaner Clearance
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:50:53 PM »
John

Thanks for the process.

Don't say anything but I will try to sneak out with some of my wife's flower arrangement clay and it should serve the same purpose.

Don't worry I'm not looking to be making big changes on the HT but I did run into a really really good deal on two used B&M dog bone air cleaners in perfect shape to fit on my 2X4 setup. These look like a sidedraft setup but I don't think it would fit under the hood. I guess I will just have to save them for that bucket list display engine I have been saving parts for all these years.

Another comment to others on Buick A Body hoods

In the early 70's I had a 64 Skylark with the 300 4 barrel carb setup. This didn't have the pancake air cleaner like the GS but the standard Skylark. My engine motor mount broke and if you pressed hard enough to down shift the transmission the whole works would torque over and come right off the frame and slam into the hood. At that point you have a car going like heck and a gunny sack full of bob cats fighting under the hood. Needless to say I learned how to change motor mounts real quick. GM later came out with a recall to wrap a cable around the motormounts so things wouldn't get so exciting when you broke the mount. This item is displayed in our Photo Gallery under NOS Parts. If anyone would like to get rid of a set of these let me know.

Milton

65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale