Author Topic: front springs collapsed  (Read 2217 times)

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
front springs collapsed
« on: June 15, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »
Finished the restoration of the silver convertible last week, just in time for the big show in Springfield. The ride height was just as it should be when the new springs were installed. Measuring to the top of the front bumper on the side of the bumper was at 21 1/2 inches. That was the ride height before, during and after the show. When I unloaded it this morning from the trailer and parked it back in the garage, it was quite noticeable that the ride height dropped in the front, now down to 19 inches on both sides. It dropped 2 1/2 inches and crushed the rubber bump stop on the lower A arm. I have looked at all the connecting points of the upper and lower control arms and they look to be fine. It's as if both springs colasped. What happened? Do I install another set of brand new springs or is there something else wrong. BTW, the springs were ordered and installed the first time by the previous owner just before I bought it from him. He ordered the springs from Kanter? I removed them for the restoration and reinstalled after powder coating. It's riding so low in the front now that I can not make sharp turns without the tires rubbing against the fenders. It's so low that I can't even get the floor jack under the front cross member. Any ideas as to what happened?

Thanks,
John

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: front springs collapsed
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:16:22 PM »
Hi John,

Is it possible that the springs that the previous owner purchased were for a small block car (less weight up front) or maybe intended for another car and Kanter interchanged them incorrectly?  I would buy a new set of springs and rubber bump stops (if damaged) and make sure they are for the correct application.

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:56:49 PM »
They may have been damaged by the powder coating process....
Many powders need to be baked at 400*F to cure the powder. That much heat could affect the spring temper, leading to the spring collapsing.
Years ago I read that springs should not be baked at over 350*F. Found the info on the Eaton Springs site:
http://www.eatonsprings.com/powdercoating.htm

If you trailered the car to the show and had the tie downs on the frame, compressing the springs, maybe it's possible they're 'stuck' in a lowered state, and need to recover?..... I'm thinking the A-arm bolts could be loosened to relax the bushings and see if it rebounds a little.   I never heard of this happening, but maybe ??
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 07:16:15 AM »
Chris, I have the sales receipt for the springs from Kanter. However, the part number is no longer valid. But it does have the correct application typed on that receipt. It did have the correct height immediately after the engine and front clip was installed. It was only after driving it the twenty miles so far, that the front end has dropped. I should say that when I pulled it out of the trailer and into the garage, I drove over the shallow curb and gutter and the front suspension groan and creaked loudly. Didn't think much of it at the time. The car was strapped down by the rear axle and the front A arms. Therefore the springs were never in a compressed state.

Walt, I was thinking the same thing about the powder coating process. It does seem like the springs just lost their temper and collapsed. In looking at the springs, the coils are equally compressed with no sign of a break. Looks like I will need to order a new set, front and rear, even though the rear springs look okay now.

This weekend, I'll get the car up on jack stands for a closer look.

Thanks,
John

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
It really sounds like you are going to be changing them. It is normal for any new springs to settle a bit,but you have lost the temper or just had too low of compressed pressure on the springs when new. It would be good if you had a pair of used gs springs to compare because skylarks are noticeably different. I would not be afraid to use a pair of used originals as long as they were in good shape. I am not sure who you would contact,but a real spring shop had charts with spring pressure and loaded heights for coil springs. I ended up blasting and painting my originals because every skylark that I tore apart had different front springs and none of them matched the diameter and height of the GS. 66 GS springs should be the same,but I think most new replacements do not distinguish skylark from GS. If you take a micrometer to the coil,see if it is the same size as a skylark. That way you would at least know what is in there. Dan

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »
John,

Check this thread:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=47.0

I bought all 4 of mine from Espo. They were powder coated and there are no issues. My guess is you have the wrong springs.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
I think my first mistake was using the "new" springs that came with the car without double checking there specs.  My second mistake was having them powder coated, rather than buying a set that was already powder coated. The place that powder coated all my suspension pieces does powder coating on larger construction equipment from Catepillar. Really massive Catepillar frames and hydraulic parts. I'm thinking they had the furnaces a lot hotter than what would be used normally on smaller thinner metal car parts. A new set has been ordered. I'll know in 2-4 weeks when they show up. Thanks for all the help.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 02:46:46 PM »
John,

Check this thread:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=47.0

I bought all 4 of mine from Espo. They were powder coated and there are no issues. My guess is you have the wrong springs.

Mark

I have had great luck with springs from Espo too. Have them on three cars.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto