Author Topic: 65 Slylark tail light bracket in the trunk  (Read 1649 times)

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
65 Slylark tail light bracket in the trunk
« on: June 04, 2015, 10:10:08 PM »
The outer brackets that are removable, is there a L and R? Should the 90 degree lip go in or out. Will post a picture later. I took mine out and do not remember how they were. Thanks Bill.

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 Slylark tail light bracket in the trunk
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 10:21:41 PM »
Bill,

There is no L or R. Same either side. There were two different style brackets, so a pic would be helpful.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »
Mark, thanks for the reply. I  have at least six of these. Here are some pictures of two. The top and bottom look slightly different one end is bent up. I was thinking the lip went to the outside. Looking at picture 3 the lip is to the outside and the lower is slightly bent up. Should the slightly bent up go up or down?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:40:47 PM by gs spoken here »

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »
Bill,

Not sure if these help, mine are the other style bracket. It appears that curved end is the top.
You'll probably have to peek under there with a light and check them that way to confirm.

Mark

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 01:49:04 AM »
Mark, thanks for the pictures, they should help. I am going to try to finish the install today. From looking at yours the 90 degree bend goes to the outside and the angle to the top. Know if anyone had any tricks to installing the repro gaskets that would help. Having trouble keeping them in place while I bolt them in and alignment is a problem. They fit very well without the gaskets but with them the alignment is off. Thanks Bill.

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »
Bill,

Not too difficult to install, just takes a little finessing. Can't  remember what I used, either a thin bead of weatherstrip adhesive or RTV (I'm thinking RTV) on the tailight housings, then put the gaskets on the housings. I think there's a couple of pins that align the gaskets. I moved the gaskets around until they just fit inside the edge, or as close as I could get, and let the RTV set up. Then set the housings into the tail panel. I put 3M strip caulk on the studs inside, then put the nuts on. Just snug them down. The gasket will compress to the body overnight. You'll need to re-snug the nuts a couple more times until gaskets stop compressing. The center emblem can go on last... Be careful, if there are any gaps you risk breaking a tab off. I had to use some thin washers between the emblem and body to get the rear emblem where it looked good and didn't put stress on the tabs. Easy, just a couple of hours... Lol!

Hope that helps!

Mark

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 07:48:45 AM »
Mark thanks for the info. I tried to put them in dry and that may have been the problem. Did not get very far. I will remove and use the RTV trick to hold the gaskets. Need to check the alignment pins and fit them without the gaskets again to be sure the center aligns so the center will fit. Thanks Bill.