Author Topic: Recruiting new members  (Read 866 times)

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Recruiting new members
« on: May 29, 2009, 08:28:06 PM »
Should we be more aggressive in recruiting new members from sites like V8?
I keep telling those guys about this site, but haven't seen them posting here yet.
It's getting to the point where I fell like telling them I'll only answer their question if they post it here! ;D

I don't want to pull guys off the other sites, but there have been some good questions there lately that would be great topics to discuss here....
Such as Scot wanting to ID the 4 speed tranny and shifter for his 65.
And Benderbrew looking for rad support bushings.

Ideally, mirror posts on both sites would be fine. This site will become a great resource for all 65 (and 66 :D) owners, just need more participation.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: Recruiting new members
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
Walt,

I battle with the same thoughts...

I don't want to "steal" members from the other sites, but I'm with you and I  don't understand how 64 and 65 owners don't flock to this site when told about it.

Anyone suppose it's because it's 65GS.com and not 64and65GSandSkylarkandSpecial.com?    ;D

By admission, before being a GS owner and having a 65 Skylark, I kind of thought the GS crowd was a little snooty and maybe this is the impression others have of us?

I know that there are others that I've met at car shows and these folks email regularly however they also don't appear here as members.

One thing that would force people to sign-up would be to turn off Guest viewing however if they don't sign up now to post, if they signed up they'd probably still not post.

Maybe we need a swimsuit issue?   8)

Any other thoughts out there on how to increase membership?

Chris

-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Joe65SkylarkGS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:02:09 AM »
I think people see 65 GS and get discouraged. Cause they don't have a GS, just a Skylark. Not like there's anything wrong with that. I love my 65 Lark and i'm looking for another one rght for a driver, now since I sold my 87 SS.

Maybe incorporate Skylarks and Specials somehow?

Just a thought.

I also tell people to no avail.
Going Fast with Class
GSCA # 3741
1965 GS 4 Speed Hard Top (Under Construction)
1965 Skylark 462, 12.21@109.8
1964 Special FireBall V6, 3 on the tree 4 Sale
1987 Grand National
1987 SS Monte T-Tops 4 sale
1995 Slammed Asstro
17 in Boyd Coddington
Daily Driver

Offline richard65

• Buick Nut
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 08:42:30 PM »
Hello GS guys,

I have an uncle in Vermont that owns a few 65 gs.  I will definitely pass this site onto him, even though I have not spoke to him in a while.  I've also been to several car shows but there were no 65 guys to spread the word to. 

I really enjoy the site and would love for more people to join. 

Richard65

Offline 65gs76limited

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »
If you built it,they will come!Let's give it some more time.I tell everyone that's ask me about my cars or looking for parts to check us out.I don't think we can compare this site"65GS.com" to the "V8 Buick" site.This is more of a speciality site to one model.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 06:20:56 PM »
I agree with Tom,I think it is important to keep the " '65 GS" , the focus of the site. Isn't that the reason "65GS.com" was born?

I too wish there was more participation and only time will tell.  At this point we need to keep pushing the site into the forefront.

Maybe Walt's idea isn't so bad. If someone wants 65 GS info , direct them here. Is that "stealing" from another site? I don't know.

If we become known as "THE place " for '65 GS answers, hopefully that will increase the participation here.

Skylarks and Specials are certainly our brethren and GS owners probably know alot about those models as well, but this site is focused on the 65 GS and I for one appreciate that.

I will now step down from the soap box and hopefully not get hurt.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division