Author Topic: Engine Miss  (Read 2218 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Engine Miss
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:38:50 AM »
For those of you that read my post in the New Members section, you've seen that I am trying to diagnose an engine miss in my '65 GS.  I need to get a compression tester and check cylinder pressures to be sure I don't have a cracked ring, but meanwhile, I have a question.  This engine had not been fired in about 14 years.  I am surprised that there's not external fuel leakage from dried out gaskets, etc.  When I pulled the spark plugs,  all are very black and smell like fuel.  One was wetter than others whice makes that cylinder suspicious.  For you carburetor gurus out there, do you think the rich fuel condition could be caused by something haywire in the main carb?  Something that perhaps a carb kit might cure?  I was going to wait until I rebuild the engine to rebuild the carbs, but will do it now if this could be a solution.

Here's my checklist for diagnosing the engine miss:

1.  Check/adjust timing (done)
2.  Check spark plug wire resistance (done & seems OK)
3.  Adjust points gap & dwell (not done yet; don't have a dwell meter.  Had one and gave it away years ago  >:( )
4.  Check distributor cap & rotor (not done yet)
5.  Check coil (how do you do this?  Take to Autozone?)

I've gotten myself focused on a fuel problem because of the black, fuelly plugs but perhaps that's not the answer.  Any experiences to share or other suggestions on potential solutions I've missed?

Thanks!
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Engine Miss
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:11:33 AM »
I have fired up engines that sat like that for a long time and had problems with rough running/misfiring.  I did all the normal diagnostics like you just described and everything checked out fine.  What it ended up being was carbon/junk in the cylinders.  I got the engine warm and fed a bottle of water through the carb air inlet while giving it throttle.  Blows all the carbon/rust/junk out of the cylinders and it purred like a kitten when I was done.  I have done that to several old Buick engines and it works great. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:41:21 AM »
If it is running rich, two things come to mind... first would be the choke not opening properly. That's easy to check.
The other would be stuck primary metering rods in the carb. That's easy to check too....there are two small sheetmetal covers on the top of the carb. Remove those and see if the metering rod assembly moves freely. It is held in the up position by light spring pressure. Engine vacuum pulls them down and leans the mixture.

Another common problem is a stuck butterfly valve in the right side exhaust manifold. It's at the manifold/pipe junction. It is closed when engine is cold. When closed, it forces the warm exhaust gasses thru the passages in the intake manifold, heating it. It should open as engine warms up. Check by rotating the counterweight on the outside of the valve to see if it moves freely. It's held closed by spring pressure.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:44 PM »
Thanks guys.  Here's my current status.  The metering rods in the carbs are free; nothing sticky there.  The butterfly valve at the exhaust manifold is a different story.  It's not stuck, but it has no counterweight on it and the pin that holds the thermal coil in place is badly bent.  Picture attached.  Can I buy a replacement or do I need to refurbish this one?  Or perhaps I should just wire it open and reinstall it.  At least for now.......

Before taking the butterfly valve off, I took the car for a short drive on our back roads here in the country.  It ran OK and didn't stall at all, but give it anything more than a feather to the throttle and it bucks and snorts and misses.  In any gear.  Seems to be very load sensitive.  I suspect timing is part of it, but I'm not confident that my high tech timing light is reading this right.  It only has an inductive pickup and I'm not sure it's compatible with the old small diameter plug wires.  I'll have to do more research on that.

I haven't tried Brian's water in the carb trick yet.  Thought I'd try to build confidence in the other areas first.  I also thought of a vacuum leak, but the only vacuum hoses that I can see are to the distributor advance and the EGR valve.  The only other path for a vacuum leak I can think of is at the intake manifold gasket.  Don't hear any whistling and haven't tried any smoke tests.  Looking for the obvious at this point.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:08:31 PM by cwmcobra »
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:47:52 PM »
give it anything more than a feather to the throttle and it bucks and snorts and misses. 

That could be the accelerator pump in the carb. With the engine off, open the choke, look into the carb and twist the throttle lever open....you should see a good shot of fuel come out. If not, the seal on the accelerator pump is probably shot. I think you can buy just it from NAPA.

As for the exhaust butterfly, I'd suggest repairing it. Remove the pin, drill a hole there, and insert a metal rod in its place.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

79 Turbo Regal

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 05:42:10 AM »
Thanks Walt.  I'll look into the accelerator pump in a couple of days.

Didn't you say there is supposed to be a counterweight on the butterfly valve?  I remember that from older days.  This one has none.  Will it function OK without?

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:05:04 AM »
You're right. The counterweight is gone!
I checked one I have off the car, the counterweight doesn't seem to keep the valve in one position, even with the spring off. Maybe the balance is not too critical. Hard to say if it will work properly with no weight.

You could just wire the butterfly open. Or remove it completely....to do that you have to destroy it, as the butterfly is spot-welded to the shaft. Then tap the shaft holes and plug them with set screws.

The valve assembly is pn 1377496 or 1377547 for 64-66 401-425.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

79 Turbo Regal

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
I haven't posted in awhile since I didn't have time to work on the GS.  I've spent some time on it this week and the result is it is running much better, although not perfect.  Here's what I've done:

-- Compression test:  lowest is 145 PSI, others in the range of 150-160 PSI.  I presume these are acceptable and don't indicate a particular problem.

-- Rebuilt the primary carb: with kit from Carmen Faso.

-- New distributor: with Pertronix ignition system from Carmen, including a higher energy coil.

-- New spark plug wires

-- New platinum tipped spark plugs

The bad miss I had is gone, but it still shakes a bit at idle.  Guess I'll have to try Brian's suggestion of putting water in the intake.  Brian, do I do it with a spray bottle, or just slowly pour it into the carb???

Do you recommend the factory spec for timing at 2.5 BTDC?  Or are there other thoughts?

Thanks for your suggestions.  It's almost roadworthy now!

Cheers!

Chuck
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:03:24 PM by cwmcobra »

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline richard65

• Buick Nut
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »
Hello Mr. Cwmcobra,
Not sure if this helps, but my 65 has a rough idle.  When I'm sitting at a traffic light the whole
car moves with the lope of the engine, you know the good lope. I was told that this is normal for a nailhead.  My car runs strong under a load with no miss, no upgrades, all stock igntion and single carb.
 Good luck, happy fathers day

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »
Chuck

I had an idle problem as well, some things to look at:  Make sure all vaccum fittings are sealed with teflon tape and tight.  Power brake fitting, transmission modulator and any vaccum  fittings on the carb or on the manifold.  Also check to see if the throttle shafts are not worn and leaking.  Check manifold gaskets, anything on the intake side that would suck air into the combustion chambers. 

As far as timing, I would go with total advance setting.  I believe the 401 runs great at about 35-40 total advance, including the vaccum advance.  Should reach at about 3500 RPM.

After I went through everything possible, I gave up and bought a new carb.  Works great now.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:01:19 PM by sjfd04 »
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed