Author Topic: Power Steering Gear Upgrade  (Read 870 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Power Steering Gear Upgrade
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:49:52 PM »
I'd like to improve the gear ratio in the steering gear to make it more quick ratio and more like what we drive today.  I've read good things about Power Steering Services, Inc. and the restorations they do including their "Fast" system with 12.7:1 ratio.  Has anyone bought one of their upgrades and, if so, how do you like it?  Worth the $$$??

Thanks,

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline rwg65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Power Steering Gear Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
Had Chip do mine . Great guy to do business with. When I got it and put it on it wasn't quite right. Called Chip and he said send it back. He took care of all shipping. Two day turn around. He said it had a cracked spool, happens sometimes. He said sorry for the trouble and even sent a gift card to mac donalds in the return box. Love the ratio big difference.

Bob

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:08:01 PM »
Thanks Bob.  That's what I expected, but it's great to hear a real testimonial.  I'll send mine off and it will be ready to install when the restoration gets to that point.

Thanks again!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:26:05 AM »
I installed a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box in my yellow car re-manufactured by Lares, from Rock Auto, just under 2.5 turns lock to lock.
Just a side note; our old Buick's have those large steering wheels, when I installed the quick ratio box I quickly noticed it's very easy to over steer. Takes some getting used to, at 70 MPH you can sneeze and change lanes. 
Having said all that, I absolutely love the improved handling of the tighter steering combined with QA1 coil-overs.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.