Author Topic: PERFECT factory Original appearing REPOP DASH PADS?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
PERFECT factory Original appearing REPOP DASH PADS?
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
Guys... we ALL know how difficult it is to locate a good UNCRACKED or UNwarped 65 DASH PAD, right??
Well. . .I have been corrosponding with a company VP who reproduces EXCELLENT AFTERMARKET DASH PADS for 67 Lark/GS.  ie: Dash Pad Pros. 
It all started back in May, when my good 67 GS customer in Sarasota 'skeptically' purchased a DASH PAD from them on eBay (look up '4thePool' vendor) and I tell ya, I cannot tell the difference 'original' from reproduction'! The FEEL. the APPEARANCE. the FIT...THESE ARE  ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!

After my many conversations with the technical, engineering, mold makers and production guys,  I have confirmed my idea to reproduce 65 GS/Lark DASH PADS thru this vendor.  Altho NOT CRAZY-expensive per piece,  the startup is costly.

Tooling for a mold is $6900.  PLUS they need AT LEAST 12-14 "'cores" ie: cracked, melted, sun disentigrated etc, these would all be considered USABLE CORES as long as the stamped steel framework is intact and not rusted AT ALL!

3 Months after they receive my initial $6900 deposit, they will have a 'prototype for inspection'.  . .and thats reasonable.

However, before I can get any forward movement on this idea and to meet their criteria, I need feedback from from you guys:

1) would you be willing pay INITIAL up front $575 for a new repop dash pad in correct original finish & feel?  (Just Dashes out of California charge almost $750 and their product is no where near original appearing)
2) would you be willing to dye your own pads (they will be black when you receive them)
3) would you be willing to send in your CORES at your expense (I will be sending them 4)
4) would you trust me to be the GO TO GUY aka ADMINISTRATOR for these dash pads?

YES you can go direct but untill they have MINIMUM orders for 12 at $575 to cover the initial $6900 tooling costs, you will simply wait.   and wait.  and wait.

I am willing to step up and I feel 100% confident these pads will be every bit as nice as the original equipment that was on your car new. I HAVE NO DOUBT.

So, let the feedback/conversation/comments begin.  SOMEONE.  SOMEDAY will reproduce these pads..why not US?  Why not NOW??

Wheelz, Tampa Bay 

Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: PERFECT factory Original appearing REPOP DASH PADS?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:42:13 AM »
wow.  40 people took the time to read this post and NOT ONE PERSON replied with feedback, encouragement,  good, bad or indifferent. 
hmmm. I am think'n this is a huge risk NOT worth taking at this time.

Wheelz, Tampa Bay 
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Small community (Re: PERFECT factory Original appearing REPOP DASH PADS? )
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 11:03:31 AM »
Dear Wheelz and mid-60s Buick lovers,

Sorry if the reception seems so negative, but this is a small community and there may not be enough people needing dash pads for this to make sense.  My parents and I took great care of my trusty wagon's dashboard pad is a wonderful shape.

You might find eventually the critical mass you need to make this run worthwhile, but the number of guys who like the earlier Buick models is small and communications is slow.  So your assessment is correct - for the moment.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 11:09:59 AM »
 40 people took the time to read this post and NOT ONE PERSON replied with feedback, encouragement,  good, bad or indifferent. 
hmmm. I am think'n this is a huge risk NOT worth taking at this time.

This is most likely the reason there are not a lot of reproduced parts for the '65 Skylark.

If the price was in the  '67 dash area, you might see more interest. 

Just a thought,
  Loren

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:13:25 AM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 11:38:20 AM »
I hear ya Loren.. however, CAN I assume THAT ALL 40 viewers possibly DO NOT have perfect dash pads?  Heck if even 10 of these guys needed a NEW pad, that would cover the initial order...  Im just say'n.

Anyway, I was explained...the prices will come down reasonably once the initial order and tooling has been acheived.   Thus. prolly in the 67 Pads price range...

I know, still a tough sell... I know.. thot it was worth trying.  :icon_scratch:

Wheelz, Tampa Bay
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 12:29:37 PM »
My dashpad is perfect and I have another in the closet, so no justification to get another one at this point.  Having to supply a core is an issue for most people too--if they don't have an extra, they will have to remove the one from their car and send in off into the wild blue yonder not knowing what it will come back looking like.  I can see how some would rather have a cracked original than take the risk of sending off their original not knowing what the quality will be like when it comes back.   I have seen some pretty poor reproduction dash pads before, so I am always skeptical until I see the finished product. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:38:48 PM by Brian »
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »
Wheelz - I was one of the 40 that read your post and did not respond.  The previous owner of my car took very good care of the dashpad on my car, and I have continued that care, so mine is in near perfect shape.  However, I do appreciate that people like you go to the extra efforts to try to come up with solutions to problems like these.  As we know, our population is very small, which makes things like this extremely difficult to financially justify.

Another thought.....I wonder how many of those 40 reads were real?  For example, right now as I'm logged on, I can see that there are two other members logged on, but 8 Guests.  Have to wonder how many of those "Guests" have a real person behind the keyboard, and how many are automated hits.  Perhaps our moderators can determine how many of your 40 reads were actual reads by Members?

Keith
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:39:19 PM by campfamily »
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 01:05:49 PM »
ThanX for your input Guys..ALL good points well taken.  :icon_thumright:I have been down this road many times...about 10 years ago I thought I could become a supplier of READY RESTORED pot metal headlite besels...ie: send me your old cores and in 15 days you would have a restored set on your car..so I bought all that I could find all that I could afford, somewhere near $2800 worth. Sent them to the restorer 5 sets at a time...  UNfortunately, the place in Houston I was using, decided to put a less-than-qualified person as a stripper... ruined a few sets... then the quality went south real fast... 
Long story short, I like to innovate stuff to help people out... and that pot metal restoration idea cost me dearly.  Like well over $5300...  ugh.   HARD to recover from that these days.

Anyway, like I said, you have all brought up good points to consider.  ThanQ.

Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
Wheelz, I am one of the 40 that looked at this post. My 65 is a driver and the dash pad is good, just faded. If I ever do more work on it I will just re-color it. You may want to post this on V8 Buick, there are a lot of 65 people there that may not be on this board. Thanks Bill.

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 04:57:53 PM »
i have a good one if i didnt i think the 500 -600 range is about right .a good used one could probably grab 350 or so.I might be in for a spare but my core is long gone. I think to you Wheelz on a trade for something.

Offline tsollazo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 09:58:01 PM »
Hi Wheelz,

I was in the market for a very good dashpad several months ago. I didn't get very far and wasn't interested in paying the justdashes price. So, I put some work into my "ok" dashpad and got it to "better than driver" quality by cleaning it, regluing some detached areas and dying it. Had the option you are considering making available been available I would have definitely sprung for it.

I could see buying the repo you are describing in the future. I have an extra core in the condition you are describing.

I 2nd the advice of putting this on the v8 site.

Thanks,
Tony

Offline 36racin

• Buick Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 10:31:30 PM »
Wheelz
    I have a pad that was perfect before UPS got ahold of it.  No longer good but has a useable core if you have a need for one.  Hit me here or V8 site.

Todd