Author Topic: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project  (Read 74393 times)

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #405 on: April 17, 2021, 09:01:23 PM »
Chuck

Thanks for all the detailed pictures.

You have answered several question I didn't even know I had.

Congratulation on such a well done restoration!

You have moved mountains since last time I seen the car at your place.

Milton
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2021, 10:24:38 PM »
Latest update...several big steps forward.  First, the hood is on. 
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #407 on: April 25, 2021, 10:27:20 PM »
The front bumper and rocker moldings are on...
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #408 on: April 25, 2021, 10:28:37 PM »
And the rear bumper is on.

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2021, 10:36:20 PM »
You'll note in that last set of pictures that the tail light housings are not installed.  That's my big step backwards.  I installed them and then checked the fit of the center tri-shield emblem and found it does not fit.  It's as if the rechroming of the tail light housings and the emblem have created interference in the fit of the emblem to the housings.  I've tried adjusting the locations of the housings within the range that is possible, but in the end, it appears that some chrome will have to be removed from small, select areas of the housings to make the emblem fit.  I took them off the car and am researching possible ways to precisely remove chrome.  Not sure my nerves are up to it.  I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.  If you guys have any experience or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2021, 10:40:58 PM »
PS: I'm hoping to overcome this problem and finish the restoration in time to take it to the AACA Central National Meet in Auburn, IN on July 2-3.  Based on current status, that should be doable if I can get the rear emblem to fit the tail light housings.  Meanwhile, I'll be working on the interior.  Drilled holes for the rear seat belts that will be installed.  I need to check the BCA judging rules to see if they allow current safety features to be incorporated.  If not, I'll hide them under the rear seat until the car takes its first road trip.

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #411 on: April 26, 2021, 06:17:53 AM »
Wow ! Chuck looks spectacular! You have any other centers to try? I know
on my one GS I had to try like three or four different ones!

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #412 on: April 26, 2021, 06:36:20 AM »
Thanks Jon.  I have one other emblem to try, but it doesn't fit any better and hasn't been restored so I really want to use the one I'm working with.

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #413 on: April 26, 2021, 09:14:25 AM »
PS: I'm hoping to overcome this problem and finish the restoration in time to take it to the AACA Central National Meet in Auburn, IN on July 2-3.  Based on current status, that should be doable if I can get the rear emblem to fit the tail light housings.  Meanwhile, I'll be working on the interior.  Drilled holes for the rear seat belts that will be installed.  I need to check the BCA judging rules to see if they allow current safety features to be incorporated.  If not, I'll hide them under the rear seat until the car takes its first road trip.

Chuck,
 Check the accessory booklet. I think rear seat belts were available.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #414 on: April 26, 2021, 09:55:43 AM »
Thanks Loren, I'll do that.

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #415 on: April 26, 2021, 10:38:21 AM »
I did find the dimples behind the back seat to pilot the holes with, so that's one positive indicator....

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #416 on: April 26, 2021, 10:59:15 AM »
Chuck,

I still don?t have an emblem on mine and my tail lights have never been rechromed. Mine fits identical to yours and I have tried a few different ones. I have adjusted everything to where I am happy with the fit of the housings,but I have resorted to egging the three holes and that is the ONLY way I can make it look correct. I must say that I have looked at a few and if it fits nice it?s because someone made it fit.

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #417 on: April 26, 2021, 06:29:36 PM »
   Chuck  Sorry I'm a little late to the party. Congratulations on the green convertible, you are making fantastic progress. Keep up the momentum and you will make it to the AACA meet.  If you need to try other rear emblems for a better fit I have several in my stash of parts that I could send out to you so you can attend the meet without any worries. Just let me know..
                                             Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #418 on: May 08, 2021, 07:16:58 PM »
A little progress to report.  Spent a tedious day installing window fuzzies on the interior panels.  I used the staples that came with the Cat's Whiskers fuzzies.  I'm happy with the result, but don't want to do that job again.  Makes my back and head hurt!!  :BangHead:

No go on the rear emblem yet.  Almost convinced I'll have to try to flatten the flanges at the ends of the housings.  But not up for that yet.  Have a consultant scheduled for tomorrow and hoping he will bring some magic to the process!

:cheers2:

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #419 on: May 08, 2021, 07:18:38 PM »
   Chuck  Sorry I'm a little late to the party. Congratulations on the green convertible, you are making fantastic progress. Keep up the momentum and you will make it to the AACA meet.  If you need to try other rear emblems for a better fit I have several in my stash of parts that I could send out to you so you can attend the meet without any worries. Just let me know..
                                             Tony  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer Tony.  I've got an extra or two here and they fit even worse than the one that's been rechromed and intended for the restoration.  I really think I've got an issue with the angles on the ends of the housings.  We'll see.

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100