Author Topic: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project  (Read 74417 times)

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #330 on: January 28, 2020, 10:52:39 AM »
I guess I shouldn't wait another year for a project update.  Not much new visually, except the convertible top frame has been installed along with the hydraulic pump, cylinders and lines.  I spent most of the summer preparing parts for final assembly.  Cleaning window regulator hardware, painting various bits including the black and silver to the rechromed taillight housings.

I also decided to move away from a “nice driver” fully to a points judged restoration.  So, I’ll now be removing the front disc brakes I had added and reverting to the stock drum setup.  I have all the hardware that I removed from the car and will be cleaning, painting, etc. to install after taking the front end apart.  I didn’t have an original master cylinder or a nice vacuum booster, as I’m adding power brakes to the car.  Thanks to John Evenson, I procured the original master cylinder that he had bought from Yachtsmanbill and had it rebuilt by a local brake company.  I also had a vacuum booster restored, which came out extremely nice.  So I now have all the parts to do the brake swap.

But not until I return home.  My wife and I have been residing in Ohio since the end of October, caregiving for her sister.  We hope to return home in March.  So I haven’t had access to this project for months and have now modified my expected timing for completion.  I planned to have it ready to show at the July BCA Nationals in the Cleveland area.  But I’ve ditched that plan in favor of continuing to do the restoration well and not rushing through it.

So, more updates to come when I have more to show in the coming months!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for the update! (Re: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project)
« Reply #331 on: January 28, 2020, 01:21:41 PM »
Dear Chuck and caregivers to more than mid-60s Buicks,

Thanks for the update.  Sorry to hear about your wife's sister's predicament, but glad that you were able to help.  Interesting that you have decided to return the car to a concourse stock.  It is more of a challenge but probably will be more satisfying in the end.

I hope the project goes as smoothly as such things do and looking forward to your next update!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #332 on: January 28, 2020, 05:36:58 PM »
What a refreshing twist! Glad to see that M/C being put to a good use, however, and thats a big "H" the safety factor of the dual path brake system needs to be a concern as well. I'd suppose that if the system is absolutely 100% NEW stuff, with a yearly fluid change, it should be OK... afterall it was the system de rigueur in the day. MORE PICS!    Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #333 on: January 28, 2020, 07:02:48 PM »
More pics when I return home.  The rebuilt master cylinder is not in my possession yet, but I'll post pictures when it is.

I agree that there is much more safety with the dual MC, but since this will be a show car for a few years, I can add it back later.  The red car has stock drum brakes and stops fine.  Until it doesn't....

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline red65gs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #334 on: January 28, 2020, 07:10:48 PM »
Looks Great so far Chuck! Glad you are going the harder road on resto. I'm planning the same for my 3 speed. I know its a long expensive journey but the outcome will be so rewarding.
Don
Central KY
BCA 51221

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #335 on: January 28, 2020, 07:16:06 PM »
Looks Great so far Chuck! Glad you are going the harder road on resto. I'm planning the same for my 3 speed. I know its a long expensive journey but the outcome will be so rewarding.

Amen, brother!!

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #336 on: January 28, 2020, 08:23:12 PM »
This is going to be a great car! Nice work!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #337 on: January 29, 2020, 02:24:40 PM »
Your bride's sister is blessed to have such devoted support.   Life's challenges can create diversions however your car is still way ahead of mine and your project is still the gold standard for 65 Gran Sports. 

Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #338 on: May 04, 2020, 01:53:14 PM »
I guess it's time for an update.  With the time found during the COVID-19 quarantine, I've been able to chip away at a few things.

Conversion back to drum brakes is nearly complete.  I'll pick up the turned drums from the shop tomorrow, will install bearings and be ready to put them on the car and fill and bleed the brake system.  The drum spindles, backing plates, wheel cylinders, shoes and actuation hardware have been installed and are waiting for the drums.  The rebuilt master cylinder is ready for permanent installation on the vacuum booster.  The emergency brake system is all installed and awaiting adjustment after the drums are installed.

I've also made some progress with the convertible top header and A-pillar moldings and seals.  That part was worrisome, but actually went pretty well.  I was fortunate to have the original parts restored so they fit relatively well.

Painted my shocks Delco gray, added rear coil spring cushions, added the glove box arm grommet, etc.

Had a bunch of parts plated and think I'm ready to attach the remaining parts to the car.  It will be slowly though.  Deadlines, such as BCA and AACA meets have evaporated, so I'm enjoying the remainder of the ride without the urge to rush and cut corners.  And that's a good feeling.

All for now. 

:cheers2:

Chuck

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:58:50 PM by cwmcobra »

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #339 on: May 04, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »
A pillar, windshield header and visor mount pictures.

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #340 on: May 04, 2020, 02:23:03 PM »
Everything looks really great - especially that windshield assembly. Sweet.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #341 on: May 04, 2020, 03:44:18 PM »
Yes, looking great!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #342 on: May 04, 2020, 06:16:45 PM »
Chuck you're moving along nicely, it looks great.  I just got a door installed, installing it took 20 minutes, getting it alined and adjusted took 8 hours. Nice to have the artesian three steps ahead, when I have a questions I know who to call.   
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2020, 09:29:57 PM »
Looking very nice chuck . Your on the home run stretch by the looks of it .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2020, 02:00:30 AM »
Yes Sir! That green machine is looking nice!