Author Topic: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project  (Read 74448 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #240 on: June 30, 2016, 09:16:32 PM »
Guess it's time for an update.  I've been really bogged down with other things for the past few months, so progress has been slow.  The chassis is almost finished.  The engine is almost built.  The body is almost ready to meet the chassis.  Seems like I'm almost making progress......but I am.

Decided to be more factory correct and buy the T10 4-speed from John Egel to replace the Muncie M21 that my car came with.  Bought a Hurst shifter for it and back up light switch and bracket.  Also the Muncie shift lever adapter for the Hurst shifter.  So when that all arrives, I hope to have finished engine assembly and be ready to install the engine and transmission into the chassis.  Then the Gardner exhaust system that's been sitting in boxes here for weeks. 

The finished body has been moved from the paint shop to my shop and now rests on sawhorses right next to the chassis.  When the chassis is ready, I'll have to fit the body bushings and then mate the two.  Meanwhile, the sheetmetal parts (hood, deck lid, front inner and outer fenders, core support, doors) will go for media blast and paint work will resume.  Carmen is working on my carburetors and they'll be ready soon.

There's my status.  Summer seems to be flying by, but maybe I should wish for fall when all the yard work, pool maintenance, etc. is done for another season and I'll have time to focus on the GS!
I will be enjoying driving the red convertible to the local "Cruise to the Fountain" on Saturday night.  And get my repaired starter installed in the Cobra for when I need a real rush of acceleration....

I'll get pictures up when the chassis is done.

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #241 on: June 30, 2016, 09:34:11 PM »
You're making good progress Chuck!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Keep pluggin' at it! (Re: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project)
« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2016, 11:07:20 AM »
Dear Chuck, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Guess it's time for an update.  I've been really bogged down with other things for the past few months, so progress has been slow.  The chassis is almost finished.  The engine is almost built.  The body is almost ready to meet the chassis.  Seems like I'm almost making progress......but I am.

Hang in there!  Everybody is short of time.

There's my status.  Summer seems to be flying by, but maybe I should wish for fall when all the yard work, pool maintenance, etc. is done for another season and I'll have time to focus on the GS!

Ain't that the truth.  According to the calendar, summer is barely two weeks old but I'm already worn out from the heat!

I'll get pictures up when the chassis is done.

Looking forward to them!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #243 on: October 03, 2016, 06:02:25 AM »
It's been a long time coming, but I've reached a milestone in my restoration.....the chassis is essentially complete.  All new steering and suspension components, including a 1 1/4" front sway bar from a Firebird that came on the car.  It also came with boxed rear control arms and rear sway bar.  And I've added rear stiffeners (thanks Brian Stone!).  New Right Stuff fuel and brake lines.  Front disk brakes were installed (I'll be running 15" rally wheels).  Steering gear has been rebuilt by Hector from V8Buick.com with quick ratio gearing. 

The engine is rebuilt and waiting for my refreshed carbs and linkage from Carmen to top it off.  The missing torsion clutch return spring has been procured (thanks Bob Bowen!), cleaned up and installed in the bellhousing.  The rebuilt T-10 (thanks John Egel!) has been painted, "KR" marked and installed, replacing the Muncie M21 that was removed.  Hurst shifter with back up light switch has been installed.  Driveshaft is installed along with the Gardner exhaust system.  I also installed the A/C compressor (thanks Brian Stone!) and will now work on restoration of the alternator and power steering pump.  I haven't put roller wheels on it yet, but will soon when ready to roll it under the body that's been waiting for it.  I successfully modified the two mid-frame body mount bushings to fit into the smaller frame holes, so the chassis is truly ready to accept the body.  I have some work to do on making seals for the Z-bar linkage pieces that I'd like to put on before mounting the body.  Need to do it this week as the weather forecast is looking good after several days of rain and ideal for rolling the chassis outdoors to locate it under the body.

Meanwhile, the sheet metal is all in high build primer and will be painted Verde Green in the coming weeks.  Lot's of work left, but it feels good to see it coming together!

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #244 on: October 03, 2016, 06:07:05 AM »
More pictures.....

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #245 on: October 03, 2016, 06:22:58 AM »
Extremely nice Chuck !! Congratulations on your latest milestone.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #246 on: October 03, 2016, 07:42:34 AM »
Wow Chuck

Looking really great!

Hard to imagine it was only a couple of weeks ago since I seen your car as part of the Northwest Ohio 65GS get together.

Congratulations

Milton
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #247 on: October 03, 2016, 08:29:49 AM »
Chuck ,   very nice .   Excellent detail .
Looks like your at the funnest part of the build .  ( except for turning the key )   
I wouldn't be able to stay out of the shop that point !
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline 66nailhead

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #248 on: October 03, 2016, 08:44:52 AM »
Looking great!!!  [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Harper

66 buick gs hardtop.  401/st400
66 buick gs convertible. 401/st300. Original Verde green with 70,000 miles
66 buick special 2dr post. 340/st400.
66 buick special wagon

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #249 on: October 03, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »
Hi Chuck,

Sweet! Yep, this is the fun stage of a restoration. Looking good!

John

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
BEAUTIFUL!! (Re: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project)
« Reply #250 on: October 03, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »
Dear Chuck, Dan, Milton, John, Dan, John, and mid-60s Buick fans of really sweet rides, . . .

Looks like your at the funnest part of the build .  ( except for turning the key )   

I definitely agree!  As wonderful as it is to put the car back together you are really going to enjoy starting up that engine and cruising down Main Street!

Congratulations!  Restoring a car is always a wonderful feeling but making it as special as you have is really going to make it your pride and joy!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #251 on: October 03, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »
Very nice work Chuck!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #252 on: October 03, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
Extremely nice Chuck !! Congratulations on your latest milestone.

Dan

X2!!!

Almost ready to install that interior. lol

Really looks sweet Chuck.  You're setting a high bar to reach.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #253 on: October 03, 2016, 07:29:09 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm pleased with reaching this point and apprehensive about what lies ahead.  But I'm ready!  Don't worry Loren, you'll be hearing from me when the interior is in my sights!

Cheers!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #254 on: October 03, 2016, 08:10:32 PM »
Should be metal-metal contact between exhaust manifolds & heads. NO GASKETS. & I don't see ANY french locks for the exhaust.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com