Author Topic: Interesting 65 GS Vert Tampa Bay  (Read 610 times)

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
Interesting 65 GS Vert Tampa Bay
« on: November 06, 2014, 02:52:09 PM »
I am looking over this 65 GS VERT with an absolutely PERFECT RUSTFREE BODY... the body is in epoxy primer. Was in a 'resto mode' for 20+ years and now the owner has lost direction and is ready to part ways.  Here is the million dollar question.
I researched the original well documented BUILD SHEET as shown.  It IS indeed a GS, has 401 engine mounts, minus motor & tranny,  GS glovebox, trunk emblem, I have no reason to think it is a fake. It sports exceptional floors and trunk and quarters etc. However, there are factory elongated holes down the side, as in BODY TRIM holes.  ?? 

The BUILD SHEET shown, states at the bottom, "BRIGHT EXTERIOR MOLDINGS" and goes into a description available on some 65 Skylark convertible Models...

COULD IT BE, the original owner, (who is selling the car thru a friend)  ordered the GS with factory side moldings??? 

I  am considering puchasing this perfect bod but only after I ask for some all important feedback and do a little more research. I am trying to contact the owner but with some resistance on Peoplefinder sites. 

ANY FEEDBACK is appreciated.

Wheelz, Tampa Bay

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:55:58 PM by wheelz »
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Interesting 65 GS Vert Tampa Bay
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 03:09:22 PM »
Hi,

Believe that blurb at the bottom is fairly standard and most likely referring to the normal molding (rockers,  convertible trim etc)

There was a post a few months back of a convertible that the dealer installed the normal Skylark side spear moldings minus the fender moldings on a Gran Sport

Maybe someone with more knowledge on codes will chime in
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »
My 65 GS coupe is a numbers matching original car with Protecto Plate however at some point in time, someone decided that they had to have side moldings and they added them.  This could have been a dealer add or a previous owner could have took the car somewhere that specialized in aftermarket extras.  Who ever added them did a good job and they had to have used a jig or special tool to cut them as cleanly as they are.  They are a larger oval sized hole and different that a factory Skylark molding hole.  They are being removed by placing a copper backing plate behind them and fill them in with a mig welder (the weld doesn't stick the the copper).

Chris   
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:26:28 PM by Chris »
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 11:18:57 PM »
Isn't that a repo window sticker?
I think we saw that pic of the cowl tag before....you can just barely make out the 'S' under the '157' trim code.
That means it has the GS package! :hello2:
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal