Author Topic: A/C vent  (Read 865 times)

Offline 65Skylark2

• Buick Fan
A/C vent
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »
I have a '65 Skylark a/c car and have been trying to tighten up the side vents.  Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to do this.  I did think of simple installing a set screw so the vent will not move but I would rather fix it right.  Thanks 65Skylark2

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: A/C vent
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:53:46 AM »
You have to remove the whole vent assembly and disconnect it from the flexible duct.  Once out, there are setscrews holding the back housing onto the front part you see from the seat.  Once you separate the two parts, the ball vent will come out the back.  You will then see that there is supposed to be a strip of felt glued around the inside perimeter of where the ball is.  This felt usually comes loose and that is why the ball flops aroud freely.  I re-glued mine and reassembled it and it was like new again. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:45 AM »
I have the same problem with my drivers side vent, the felt fell out.  I took the screw out on the front of the dashboard, but couldn't figure out how to disconnect the vent from the duct.  It doesn't come away from the dashboard enough to see behind it to get to any kind of connection between the vent and the duct, and I was afraid to just pull on it.
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:59:41 AM »
Yes, you will have to take the duct loose from the plenum down under the center of the dash and carefully work it up through the hole the vent is mounted in.  Once you get it through enough to see the joint, you can take it loose there and not have to pull the rest of the duct through the hole.  The duct is very fragile and brittle due to age, so be very gentle with it. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Best to replace the felt. (Re: A/C vent)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
Dear 65Skylark2 and mid-60s Buick fans,

I have a '65 Skylark a/c car and have been trying to tighten up the side vents.  Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to do this.  I did think of simple installing a set screw so the vent will not move but I would rather fix it right.  Thanks 65Skylark2

If the side vents are loose, really the best thing to do is to replace the felt.  I upgraded my trusty 1965 Buick Special wagon to Vintage air, but used the OEM outer vents.  After a lot of experimenting, found that 1mm weatherstripping felt works perfectly to restore the proper operation of the outer vents.

Take the advice of everyone else when it comes to dismantling.  I didn't have that problem and clearly they know what needs to be done!  Otherwise, you might be sorry!!  :BangHead:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:49:44 AM »
Thanks to both of you for the guidance. Sounds like I have a weekend project now!!!   :blob7:
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline 65Skylark2

• Buick Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:38:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I will get new felt and glue it in place.  I knew it should not be that big on a deal but just never had this problem before.  65Skylark2

Offline Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 11:55:32 AM »
Just did mine.There are two pieces of felt that came out of each ball vent housing (front and rear area) Joann fabrics sell adhesive backed felt sheets. I purchased the black and cut 1/4" strips with scissors. Cleaned the mounting areas inside each housing. Peel and stick the felt,trim off access. (no overlap) They work perfect!
Jim
Chicago

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Good to hear! (Re: A/C vent)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 03:29:30 PM »
Dear Jimbo and mid-60s Buick owners who like to be cool!  :glasses9:

Just did mine.There are two pieces of felt that came out of each ball vent housing (front and rear area) Joann fabrics sell adhesive backed felt sheets. I purchased the black and cut 1/4" strips with scissors. Cleaned the mounting areas inside each housing. Peel and stick the felt,trim off access. (no overlap) They work perfect!

Glad it worked out for you!  :icon_thumright:  It took me several attempts but I finally got it working.  Take my advice.  Learn from other people's mistakes - because you can't make all those mistakes by yourself!!!  :BangHead:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: