Author Topic: intro page correction  (Read 1665 times)

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
intro page correction
« on: April 16, 2009, 08:51:06 PM »
Chris,  please check this out as this info is slightly off...from the intro page.

Codes for other models of 401's is "LS"  (edit-LT = 401 ) as used in Riviera, Wildcat and Electra. There is also the "LT"( edit.. LW would be 425 single, LX = 425 dual quad)   code 425 with two four barrel setup. Used in the Wildcat, Electra and the Riviera GS.

Thanks Chris,  just getting particular.   I've spent a little time researching the 65 Wildcats, they designated the engine options
L90  A5  Export low compression 401 single 4bbl
L75  A7 Wildcat 465 single 4bbl 425
L80 A8  Super Wildcat dual quad 425

Cheers, Ted
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: intro page correction
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »
Great catch Ted... someone is paying attention.   ;)

Tom had brought this to my attention one other time and I misunderstood what he was referring to, but now I see it.

Please correct this for me and I'll adjust it:

=========================================================
As for the engine, the GS had a special code.It is stamped into the block. Location is at the front top edge of the block directly behind the thermostat housing and before the valley pan. For '65 it will read "LR" followed by the serial number. The "L" is 1965 model year. The "R" is the speciffic code for the correct "GS" engine.

We've also seen in some rare instances where "LT" codes have also been used. We have several documented cases of this in the GS registry. If you are in doubt, double check the serial number to that of the block number and if they match you've probably got a winner. No 65 GS models came with small blocks, therefore all 65 GS were equipped with big block 401 motors.

Codes for other models of 401's is "LS" as used in Riviera, Wildcat and Electra. There is also the "LT" code 425 with two four barrel setup. Used in the Wildcat, Electra and the Riviera GS.

I know that we've got documented cases for both the LR and LT coded engines in the 65 GS's however the other models I could use the clarity on.

Thanks again,

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:39 PM »
Codes for other models of 401's is "LT" as used in Riviera, Wildcat and Electra. There is also the "LW" code 425 with single four barrel setup and "LX" code 425 with two four barrel setup.   Used in the Wildcat, Electra and the Riviera GS.

I had some time tonight to peruse the photos.  What a great looking car!  Thanks, Ted
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »
I just remembered that I may have a correction also pertaining to the "wider" drum brakes on the 65 GS.

I think Brian had brought this up once before for discussion, however I don't believe that I ever heard a definite on whether on not wider drums were part of the GS package.

When things like this come up for discussion, you guys are hitting on one of the most important principles of this site.  The technology of the web brings us all together in a way that we can gain alignment and build the documentation for our cars.  

There seem to be a lot of missing links out there today pertaining to our Buicks and it's only by discussing things constructively (like we have been doing) will we set the record straight and provide a basis for preserving the history of our cars for the next generation.  

THANK YOU GUYS and let's please keep this up!

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline 65gs76limited

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 09:37:17 PM »
I believe the "R" as in LR is depicting the 400 CID.Remember in 1965 GM did not allow anything bigger than 400 cubes in the A body.This was buick's way around the 401 LT code.They coded it LR called it a 400 and the rest is history.

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:47:41 PM »
Ok guys.. tell me how this looks and if it's ok, I'll try to make the changes this weekend:

As for the engine, the GS had a special code.It is stamped into the block. Location is at the front top edge of the block directly behind the thermostat housing and before the valley pan. For '65 it will read "LR" followed by the serial number. The "L" is 1965 model year. The "R" is the speciffic code for the correct "GS" engine.

We've also seen in some rare instances where "LT" codes have also been used. We have several documented cases of this in the GS registry and the blocks have been verified by the Protect'o Plates.

If you are in doubt, double check the serial number to that of the block number and if they match you've probably got a winner.

No 65 GS models came with small blocks, therefore all 65 GS were equipped with big block 401 motors.

Codes for other models of 401's is "LT" as used in Riviera, Wildcat and Electra. There is also the "LW" code 425 with single four barrel setup and "LX" code 425 with two four barrel setup as used in the Wildcat, Electra and the Riviera GS.

How does that look?

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline 65gs76limited

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:12:26 PM »
By George i do believe he's got it!You are correct Chris. LT-LR-LW-and LX.Now you know in 66 they dropped the X and went to Z but i don't want to confuse you anymore.

Offline richard65

• Buick Nut
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 03:10:35 PM »
Mr Chris i went and checked the numbers on my motor and donot know what it is all of my dads 65 had the Lr stamp.Mine is 6I50184 and two 22.The other 413b4bb2. Im pretty shure its not gs but its a stoung   nailhead. I will check and see what the trans is?

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »
Corrected...

http://www.65gs.com/intro.html

Thanks for catching this Ted and Tom,

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC