Author Topic: Complete AC system  (Read 1226 times)

Offline 1965special

• Crazy about Buick!
Complete AC system
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:30:19 PM »
I'm getting ready to start a complete restoration and am collecting parts.  As part of resto, I'd like to add AC.  Does anyone have, or know where to find, a complete AC setup for 65GS (my understanding from GS repair manual is there are differences) for sale?  thanks, Steve

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Complete AC system
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »
Everything on the firewall and dash is the same in a Skylark as long as you use the POA valve system. Early  '65 Skylarks used a suction throttle valve system. The hoses on the compressor are '65 and '66 GS only. The rest of the under hood tubes, hoses, muffler and drier are same as Skylark. The compressor mounts are same as large cars, as are the pulleys. It takes a double pulley on the alternator and A/C compressor.
The compressor hoses are the most difficult part to find.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline 1965special

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 10:10:47 PM »
Thanks Loren.  I had assumed the compressor brackets would be different for small block vs big block.  So if I can find a small block car with a complete system I could use that except for hoses?  Do you know whats different about the hoses?  Any idea where to find a set?  Steve

Offline 1965special

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »
Loren, I just re-read your reply and now see that the compressor mounting would need to be either from a GS or large Buick.  Do you know what years would interchange with 65GS?  And is the compressor from Skylark small block same as for GS?  Steve

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 09:42:53 AM »
Steve,
  I would have to look it up in my parts book to be 100% sure, but safe to say '64 through '66  brackets would work. As you noted, small block won't.
Compressors are pretty much the same, but the GS uses a double belt pulley. Same on the alternator.
Reason is the lack of belt to pulley contact area.

Pretty much any thing you find, the compressor will need to be serviced as should the condenser, evaporator, drier and POA valve.
I've seen the condenser and evaporator available new aftermarket.

The GS had a special label on the compressor. And as I remember, the mounting brackets for the condenser are different between the SB and BB. I would have to look at what is out in my storage area.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline 1965special

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 07:23:12 AM »
Thanks very much for the info Loren. Please do let me know what you find for these ac systems.  I am thinking I might as well put ac in when I get the dash completely dissasembled.

I'd be interested in any original ac parts. Id rather use repro only where necessary.  Any part leads (and advice) is greatly appreciated!  Steve

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 09:51:49 AM »
My car has the factory A/C system installed, as far as I know it has not been modified.  If you need any pictures to help in your restoration, let me know.

And, yes, it still blows cold air!!

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline 1965special

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
Thaks Keith.  Yes pictures would be appreciated. Theu would help me find correct parts and help during instal. Still blows cold?  That's great. Did you convert the system or is it still freon?   Steve

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 07:23:48 PM »
Thaks Keith.  Yes pictures would be appreciated. Theu would help me find correct parts and help during instal. Still blows cold?  That's great. Did you convert the system or is it still freon?   Steve

Not been converted, as best I know. It works, so I'm just leaving it alone. Any specific photos?

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline 1965special

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 07:30:11 PM »
Keith, I am not up to speed enough on ac systems to know what to ask for.  Am thing general photos and a few showing GS specific items like the hoses Loren mentioned, the compressor label, the fan and shroud.  Would also like to see firewall area so I can see what I'm getting myself into... Steve