Author Topic: Getting hot!!!!! Why?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
Getting hot!!!!! Why?
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:02:35 AM »
Hello, I have a 65 Lark GS vert with the 401 nailhead, new 4 core radiator, new heater core, new thermostat. when the motor comes up to temperature the thermostat opens and you can hear the coolant flowing through.  Kind of annoying.  When I run the car on the highway at 3000 rpms in warmer temps car gets real hot.  Sometimes over 210.  When I slow down temp comes down slowly.  Unless its very hot out some times wont come down unless I stop.  Anyone have any ideas what's going on?  Thanks Dave 
now wouldn't you rather have a Buick

65' GS vert, 4 speed

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Getting hot!!!!! Why?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:08 AM »
It has been talked about on several post, try this: http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=1879.0
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:59:53 PM »
When I run the car on the highway at 3000 rpms in warmer temps car gets real hot.

There are cases where if you push water through the radiator too fast, the water doesn't have time to give up it's heat to the radiator.
I don't know if that's happening in your case, but it's a possibility.
Buick used a water pump for air conditioned cars that had more impeller fins (5 instead of 3) to increase flow, and also used different sized crank and water pump pulleys to spin the pump faster. Does your GS have AC?
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 06:07:06 AM »
Dave, heating issues like yours are very frustrating. Overheating while going down the highway should not occur. From your post it seems like the radiator, etc may have been recently installed. Is that the case ? If so, you may have an air bubble in the system. The normal cure for that is to 'burp' the radiator by running the car up to operating temperature with the radiator cap off. The system will then kind of belch out the air bubble. Or it may be as simple as a tired radiator cap that is not sealing properly. Let us know of any progress.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline RVA65GS

• Buick Nut
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:59:13 AM »
Hi Dave,

I have the same issue.  The warmer the temperature outside, the warmer the car will run.

I like to drive mine.  I recently drove from VA to KY to surprise my dad and go to some car shows with him.  The car did well, staying around 190-195 running 60-70 mph.  Reached about 200-210 going up some of the longer mountains. 

Although I do not really feel 200-210 is too hot, I want mine to run closer to the thermostat (180).  In cooler, less humid weather, it runs about 185 at just about any speed.  In hot, humid weather it runs 200-210 down the highway.

Is it possible that the original radiators are just not efficient enough for prolonged driving at higher rpm? 

What I've done:
1. Switched from a 3 to 5 blade pump.
2. Had radiator pressure tested (ok).
3. Installed new 180 t-stat, tried 2 different ones.
4. Installed new 16 lbs cap, tried 2 different ones.
5. Replaced all core plugs/freeze plugs/expansion plugs or whatever you want to call them.  Therefore, I was able to see into water passages, where one would not normally be able to see into.  I did not encounter anything that would suggest restricted passages, but again, I could only see small sections of the water passages.
6. Timing. Timed it both with a gun and by ear.  Even if the ring has slipped on the balancer, I've had it so advanced and so retarded, I think I've eliminated a timing issue. 
7. Converted to electronic ignition and vacuum advance works.
8. Installed new plugs and wires.
9. Checked lower hose for collapse at high rpm. No collapse detected.
10 Bypassed heater core (run with and with it bypassed).
11. All hoses are in good condition.
12. I use the wiper fluid bottle for an overflow container.  Air bubbles are never present.

Side note: I am running a flex fan with no shroud.  However, those things should not matter at highway speed.  3 speed without air, has the larger pulley.

Nothing I've done has made a change in either direction with regard to operating temperature at highway speed.  The only things that have affected operating temperature are outside temperature and load on engine.

So, what is left? 
Running too lean?
Head gasket?
Insufficient flow through water passages?
Overbore?
Insufficient radiator?

Can anyone recommend an aluminum radiator?  This will the next thing I replace.  I'll let you know how it works out.  If that doesn't cure it, I'm just going to disconnect the gauge.

The photo is of my car with my dad's '49 Ford in Harrodsburg, KY.  There were 3 Buicks there.  I think mine travelled the furthest though.

-Joe

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:11:39 PM by RVA65GS »
'65 GS 3 speed thin pilar

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »
Hey thanks guys.  All the of your replies seem to be very good possibilities.  I will have to do some more investigating.  The radiator and other stuff I installed a couple of years ago. With the gurgling it leads me to think there is air in the system somewhere.   I think I've tried burping it, but I will try it again.  Walt I don't have A/C and what you mentioned seems logical.  Joe I don't think 210 is too hot either but there's been times when its gotten closer to 230 and that scares me.   

Thanks again guys and if there is anything else you can think of let me know, Dave

65' GS vert, 4 speed

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
I can't find the part # but I have a Summit aluminum radiator in my car. It is basically a direct fit. (Had to shorten the lower hose) I can't find the part # but I used their dimensions sheet/ inlet placement information and matched one up. It cools better than the original radiator with a four core insert ever did. I was looking for weight savings and the better cooling was just a bonus.

Jerry
Jerry

Offline RVA65GS

• Buick Nut
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the input, Jerry.

-Joe
'65 GS 3 speed thin pilar

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 05:36:23 AM »
Hey guys, What is too HOT?

65' GS vert, 4 speed

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 08:54:30 AM »
This web site has some good info, I have posted it before:

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/cooling_faq.html
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks indeed interesting website. (Re: Getting hot!!!!! Why?)
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 11:05:58 AM »
Dear sjfd04 and mid-60s Buick fans,

This web site has some good info, I have posted it before:

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/cooling_faq.html

Hmm, yes indeed in a very interesting website!  :idea1:

I never thought of the role electrons play in cooling, but after all they occupy the vast majority of the space in an atom, so they must represent a largest part of the motion that we experience as heat.  It isn't often that my Bachelors degree in physics gets stimulated from a post on a car forum!!  Nonetheless, the points are valid and after all, it is physics that explain our how cooling systems work!

I've added it to my automobile "How-To" bookmarks.

Thanks for posting it again!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 04:50:39 PM »
I know this an older thread but I just wanted to follow up because I finally figure this one out.  Air in the system and a bran new BAD clutch fan.  The car hold its temperature now and does not fluctuate.

Thank you all for the advice.

Dave S.

65' GS vert, 4 speed

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 06:24:46 PM »
Your persistence has paid off.
Thanks for the post that you finally have this solved. Now to get rid of that back fire.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division