Author Topic: 4 core radiator question  (Read 582 times)

Offline 66nailhead

• Crazy about Buick!
4 core radiator question
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:53:58 PM »
I'm gathering parts for this 66 gs convert that I recently picked up over the winter. I'm looking at getting that 4 core radiator (non ac) from us radiator. Have any of you guys ran that radiator and how does it fit? Also for now I'm gonna just run the stock gs steel wheels and hubcaps with the bfg red lines. Thats what came with the car originally. Where would be the cheapest place to get those tires from? I found 225/70/14 from jegs for $233 a tire so far.
Dan Harper

66 buick gs hardtop.  401/st400
66 buick gs convertible. 401/st300. Original Verde green with 70,000 miles
66 buick special 2dr post. 340/st400.
66 buick special wagon

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 4 core radiator question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
Hi Dan,

You might want to consider taking the original radiator to a radiator repair shop and have it re-cored. That way you will have the original Harrison tanks and the inlet and outlet for the radiator hoses will be correct. It will cost about the same to re-core as to buy new. I do not have any experience with any reproduction radiators.

Regarding the best place to buy vintage tires, there was a good thread about that recently here on this forum. Go to the Rims and Tires section and it will be the last post about where to find whitewall tires.

John

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »
Dan,

That would appear to be a good price on that tire. Jegs seems to charge just $9.99 for shipping. Have seen some others with lower prices on the tire and then charge $30 + for shipping. Bought a set of those tires from these folks http://www.widewhitetires.com/BFGoodrichPrices.html Their prices include shipping and they are located on the west coast.

Would agree with John about having the original radiator re-cored if the side tanks are still good on the original radiator. Believe a 4 core is for AC equipped cars but will certainly work even if its non-AC.

Best of luck on the project

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline 66nailhead

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 07:10:07 PM »
Thanks for the help. I know I had my blue gs radiator recored back in 95 by a local place. But they are no longer in business anymore. I'll probably do that then and just have the original re cored. Just gotta find a place.
Dan Harper

66 buick gs hardtop.  401/st400
66 buick gs convertible. 401/st300. Original Verde green with 70,000 miles
66 buick special 2dr post. 340/st400.
66 buick special wagon