Author Topic: Room around here for an "assertive" 1965 Buick Special billy-goat wagon?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear fans of 1964, 65, 66 "assertive" Buicks,

I don't know why it has taken me so long to join this forum . . . . I guess my trusty wagon has kept me plenty busy!  Since not everyone has heard the story of my trusty wagon, leave us turn back the clock to the start of spring 1968.  My family was back in California after an overseas assignment. My Dad had carefully researched our next car and wanted something practical and thrifty like an AMC Rambler. However, at the used car lot was a Seafoam Green 1965 Buick Special wagon and . . . . . Mom fell in love with it. It was more than Dad had planned to spend, but . . . .   :love4:

Not too long after we bought the car, this photo was taken at our new house:

Obviously, I've grown a little since then!

My parents had immigrated from France and so our world was permeated with French culture. The car got the name Biquette. Is it French slang that roughly means billy-goat. However, in French, the ette in Biquette makes her female, so perhaps Biquette's name is better thought of as a "tom-boy nanny-goat."  For her first 10 years, Biquette was an everyday family wagon. Occasionally, she would get more exciting duties like towing our powerboat:

As I grew up, I was a good son and would help Dad maintain the car as much as I could. Along the way, the car started to get upgrades. Things like a emergency flashers and rear seat belts. By the time I got into high school, we had gotten a bargain on a second used Buick: a 76 Skylark. In the meantime, Biquette was now closing in on 15 years and was getting old. During one tune-up in 1979, Dad and I thought we spotted coolant on one of the spark-plugs. The first of many: "Is this the time to get rid of Biquette?" crises had arrived.

However, the family couldn't let go of the family wagon, and so, we had the engine rebuilt instead. The car had ridden out the 2 oil crises of the 70s, so trying to save gas was a priority. The transmission was replaced with a TH350 and another less thirsty carburetor was fitted. Alas, the rebuild was botched and the car didn't run well. Eventually in desperation we had the valves redone a second time and finally the engine ran smoothly. Alas, all this had shaken Mom's confidence in the reliability of the car and so Biquette's original champion was reluctant to use her.

Still we had only one wagon, so Biquette still had the heavy-hauling chores. So the car continued in this semi-neglected state until things went from bad to worse. In June of 1986 the car was stolen. Weeks went by and the car didn't turn up. Saddened, the family assumed the worst and eventually we purchased a used Pontiac wagon to take over Biquette's duties. Then on Friday the 13th of September 1986, the police called us to report that Biquette had been recovered in a drug bust. The family eagerly rushed to bring back our trusty wagon. The car's interior looked and smelt awful, but the car was in amazingly good shape for her 3 month, 1000 mile ordeal:

From that point on, I increasingly made Biquette my car. Mom wasn't comfortable driving the car any distance, but somehow I was emboldened to take the car all over the state of California. I had a passion for amateur astronomy. So the car became camping and astronomy headquarters:

Later on, I took up scuba diving and the car soon got a second nickname: the Divemobile. Biquette went from lugging telescopes and sleeping bags to coping with wet-suits and scuba tanks.  Sometimes I was really a glutton for punishment and did both on the same trip:

That was something of a high-point as far as "Biquette's adventurous phase."  It was time for me to try to make a living and that took Biquette all over the West Coast.  Being stubborn as a mule, I managed to avoid commuting by car most of the time.  As a result, I was able to keep my trusty wagon as my only motorized transportation all the way past that traumatic moment of Y2K.

However by 2010, Biquette was getting very weary indeed and it was time for a serious restoration.  It started out mundane enough: simply going through the car to make her safe and road worthy.  Alas, misfortune interceded.  On the day before Thanksgiving 2010, a German sports sedan engaged in some "illegal contact" with Biquette leaving her injured like this:

It would take most of the following year to repair the body damage and repaint her to her original Seafoam Green.  Worst still, Biquette's 300 cid V-8 was showing signs of wear - probably a victim of ZDDP deprivation as it had been rebuilt in 2001.  This time I decided I was going to go with something a little more assertive:

A 448 cid Buick big-block engine that produced 509 horsepower and over 530 foot-pounds of torque.  Connected to a hardened 200-4R overdrive transmission, the new drive-train definitely gives my trusty wagon a new - zip - that she didn't have before!

This resto-mod continued on to the interior, as Biquette got a Vintage Air air conditioner.  Since she wasn't originally equipped with vents, it was necessary to customize the dash.  As these before and after pictures show, while it definitely isn't original - it certainly preserves the feel of a 1965 Buick:

Before:

After:

Unfortunately, the shake-down process has been more painful than I certainly would have hoped.  There is another round of repairing coming, however with a little luck, my trusty wagon will be back to full health sometime this summer.

Do hope everyone enjoyed the tale of my trusty wagon and you can welcome her among your esteemed 1965 A-Body Buicks!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Edouard,

Welcome to "65GS.com".
I'm sure you will find the community here both interesting and informative. As you may have already noticed, we are about more then just the GS model.
I really enjoyed your story and the pictures.

Again Welcome,
   Loren
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:24:00 PM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Welcome Edouard !

Great story. Sure you will enjoy the 65GS community.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
That is a nice wagon,great pics

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks everyone! (Re: "Assertive" 1965 Buick Special billy-goat wagon)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »
Dear Loren, Dan, schlepcar, and fans of mid-60s Buick A-bodies,

Thanks for the kind words!  My all our cars go on to last another 1/2 a century!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Edouard,

Welcome! I really enjoyed your story. Those mid sixties Buicks can easily become a member of the family.  Great work with the restoration. Hope you get her back on the road this summer.

John

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
What a great story, and awesome pictures.  I really enjoyed reading it.

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
Edouard, of course Biquette is most welcome to our special little play area. :occasion14:
Glad to see both of you here! I was following your build over on V8 as it unfolded. Hope you get the chance to put plenty of miles on her this summer. :cheers2:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Welcome Edouard, good to have you on board! :occasion14:
I'm a long-time owner as well, having bought my first 66 GS when I was 15, and I've had my blue '66 since '82! 
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
She has reawakened!! (Re: "Assertive" 1965 Buick Special billy-goat wagon?)
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick fans especially those with a soft-spot for “longroofs,”

My trusty wagon has peaked on this board every now and then, but until recently, she has been suffering from a rather serious deficiency: no engine.

The story starts back in April 2014 when after only 3-months of operation, a lot of shards of non-ferrous metal were found in the old pan - at least one bearing had failed.  At this point I was definitely feeling without any friends in the Buick world.  In desperation, I asked Mike Tomaszewski and TA-Performance if he would be willing to take on this patient.  Thankfully, he consented and thus started the long and twisted path that led to my wagon’s return to health. 

By December 2014 Mike finally was able to dismantle the engine and determine it was the rear main crankshaft bearing that had failed, damaging the crankshaft in the process.  Unfortunately, TA-Performance had a large backlog of engine orders based on their aluminum big-block, so my wagon just had to wait her turn.

In the meantime, I had some work to do on the parts which had stayed with me.  For starters, the coolant leaks had eroded the ceramic coatings on the headers:

Lucky for me there was a company doing this sort of coating work on the San Francisco bay peninsula.  Since I got the choice of color, I went with their silver metallic that was something in between chrome plating and polished metal:

They looked so nice that I couldn’t bring myself to remove the headers from the bags - just to be sure they remained undamaged! 

I was concerned about how rough the engine had been previously.  So just to be safe, I asked Mike to grind a milder cam.  This in turn forced Mike to lower the compression ratio.  The engine was based on a 430 block stroked out to 448 cid.  As a result of Mike’s  modifications, the engine lost 3 inches of displacement and became a 445 cid displacement.  The compression ratio was lowered from 10.2:1 to 9.65:1.

Eventually, Mike and his machine shop crew came around to assembling Biquette’s engine.  However, they ran into another unexpected problem.  The engine was supposed to be painted nailhead green with clear aluminum valve covers.  Well, when the guys cleaned the heads before assembly, all the paint washed off!  Mike was concerned any attempt to repaint them could still fail in the same way after the engine was installed, so it was time to try another engine bay decorator style.  Mike removed the paint on the aluminum timing cover and decided instead to paint the valve covers nailhead green.  He then machined off the Buick and TA-Performance lettering.  This created a very striking look.  Here are some of the photos of the installed engine:

Here is the passenger side view:

Here is the “in-between” view:

Here is the front view:

Here is the driver’s side “in-between” view:

Finally, here is the driver’s side view:

Before sending the engine back to me TA-Performance gave it a test run.  You can see it running on this Video on Instagram:

https://instagram.com/p/4nJEIygumC/

If you have trouble viewing it there, I got permission to post a copy on You-Tube:

https://youtu.be/vv5v1z7YzFs

The engine arrived back in Orinda Motors where it would be installed just a few days before the annual Orinda classic car show in mid-September.  It was a race, but the guys managed to get the engine installed so that my trusty wagon could once more participate in the show:

However, there was a bit of chicanery in this display.  Instead of the transmission holding up the back of the engine there was a 2”x4”!!

The reason was that the original 200-4R overdrive transmission was considered a suspect in having caused the rear main bearing to fail.  In addition it was leaking profusely.  Rather than taking a chance with it, I decided to go with a new 200-4R from Art Carr.  One reason for this choice was that Art Carr promised me a transmission in 2-weeks.  Getting the old transmission repaired would have meant sending it back to the builder in New York.  That likely would have taken many months.

Well, two weeks came and . . . where’s the transmission?  Art Carr was backlogged and 2 weeks became a month.  Okay, if you own a classic you’ve got to be patient.  Sure enough a 200-4R was finally delivered but it had . . . . a surprise!

Yup, that’s a nasty crack in the case at the base of the bell.  Art Carr is now shipping transmission by strapping them down to a wooden platform.  It appears that they might have overtightened this transmission and stressed the case to the point it cracked.

At least Art Carr quickly responded and rushed another 200-4R in a week.  Soon the transmission was fitted and at last my wagon was able to run her engine for the first time in 18 months.  Here is a video of one of the first runs:

https://youtu.be/GY1RfXjlFyw

Mostly the news is all good.  The engine starts very nicely and idles smoothly.  However, it was also stumbling when you first nudge the accelerator.  Even stranger, 3 of the spark-plugs were getting fouled.  The engine wasn’t doing this at TA-Performance.  At first, attention was focused on the EZ-EFI fuel injection system as it was the only component that was new.  However, that really didn’t make any sense because the EZ-EFI doesn’t control the ignition at all, it is basically just a “digital-carburetor.”  Eventually, by eliminating all the other possibilities it became clear that MSD distributor had failed in between the run at TA-Performance and the engine installation.

With that problem solved it was time to see what this car could do.  How’s this as a first example!

https://youtu.be/V7q01MnNOQA

As the Orinda Motors classic car guru says in the video and that’s only 1/4 throttle!

Here is another run at about the same time:

https://youtu.be/78k1iZRJkF4

The rough idle is actually part of the EZ-EFI self-tuning process.  It determines how to get a smooth idle by seeing how low it can go and then correcting for that.

I was able to bring my wagon home last Thursday and I’m tickled pink!  The engine was performing very poorly before.  It was extremely noisy and sluggish.  Now it is extremely responsive and it has more power than I think I really want!

Better still, the engine is much quieter with all the changes I’ve made, my wagon is much more pleasant to drive.  On the freeway the noise level is quiet enough to hear the stereo or have a conversation.  Even the Vintage Air air conditioner works extremely well.

This whole project really goes back to the 1980s when my Dad and I daydreamed of modernizing our then 20 year old station wagon.  Many of things we talked about, like an overdrive transmission, seemed impossible then.  My Dad died of a brain tumor in 2000.  But before he died he asked that we take car of “da’ trusty wagon.”  It has been an awful long struggle, but I think he would have been really pleased to see how she has turned out!

I really need to thank Mike and Sherri Tomaszewski and the whole TA-Performance team for helping me out in this period of crisis.  This situation had really split the Buick community and Mike was taking a chance.  However, he took the time to listen and understand.  I’ll never know if all the decisions I made were necessary, but I’m really happy with what Mike pulled together for me.

I need to thank all of you as well.  We all need a sympathetic group now and then, you guys have been that for me - THANKS!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Room around here for an "assertive" 1965 Buick Special billy-goat wagon?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 06:14:39 PM »
Your headers and engine really look great Edouard!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 08:12:17 PM »
Edouard,

Truly, a work of art.  I can read the pride you have for her and commend you for so successfully fulfilling your dad's wish.  Will she be a daily driver?  Despite her pristine condition now, I hope she will be your faithful servant for years!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 11:43:30 PM »
Excellent news Edouard!  :hello2:  :occasion14:

Glad to see you finally have Biquette back on the road after all those trials and tribulations.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks! (Re: "Assertive" 1965 Buick Special billy-goat wagon?)
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 11:09:30 AM »
Dear Jim, Chuck, Tom, and fans of mid-60s Buick "longroofs,"

Thanks!  :icon_thumright:  Yes indeed it has been a very long struggle!

Your headers and engine really look great Edouard!

I'm really glad it turned out as nice as it did!  It definitely wasn't planned - it just happened!

Will she be a daily driver?

Well she definitely won't be a daily driver because none of our cars need to go out every day!  However, I'm planning to keep her active doing some of the usual chores that for the past 5 years have fallen mostly on our 2000 Buick Century.  However, I'm going to need to be more careful than I was when just was just my car.  High on the priority list right now is deciding on a collector's car insurance and adding at least one layer of anti-thief protection.

Thanks again!

Edouard