Author Topic: 64 - 65 Interchange Area  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
64 - 65 Interchange Area
« on: April 26, 2008, 03:07:13 AM »
83Stage1

[applaud] [smite]

misc ideas & info
? on: April 22, 2008, 09:53:17 PM ?      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A site dedicated to one of my favorite cars...   this prob'ly ain't gonna be good for me.  You're going to relight my fire for my poor '65.   I have enough irons in the fire dammit!!!   hehehehe

I expect you'll eventually pull lovers of the '64s and other model '65s into this site (already sucked me in w/my base Skylark..) looking for information on interchange & etc.  How about a either a sticky or a dedicated section related to this info?

Some random items:

* oval vs. round a-arm bushings
* axle differences between base models, the GS, and the wagons and to other 64-67's (like to know more about that one myself)
* 401 differences (what's it take to use a '63 401 for example)
* frame braces - if you want to stiffen a regular Special/Skylark frame, the braces used on the convertibles and GS's are under the wagons too; at least the Sportwagon.  But--the Sportwagon has a longer wheelbase so you'll have to cut it down/reshape it a bit.  The flat-roof wagons are the shorter wheelbase, but I don't know if they had the boxed frames or not. (length diff is in the back door area)
* there were different dashes used - padded all the way across vs. a smaller plastic surround.
* 2-door hardtop doorskins are not the same as 2-door post doorskins
* rear quarter skins are not being reproduced.  do four-door skins work or are they just a little different?
* '64 front fenders will not fit the '65s (diff by bumpers)
* Special & Sportwagon use one front bumper, Special & GS another (different blinker holes; bigger on the GS)
* motor swap info for later sbb & bbb
* trans swap info for overdrives
* suspension/brake upgrade info
*etc!

you get the idea...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 03:26:51 AM by Chris@65GS.com »
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: Part Interchange Area Request
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 03:26:18 AM »
To start this off, these are the areas that I know about:

* oval vs. round a-arm bushings

* axle differences between base models, the GS, and the wagons and to other 64-67's (like to know more about that one myself)

* 401 differences (what's it take to use a '63 401 for example)

* frame braces - if you want to stiffen a regular Special/Skylark frame, the braces used on the convertibles and GS's are under the wagons too; at least the Sportwagon.  But--the Sportwagon has a longer wheelbase so you'll have to cut it down/reshape it a bit.  The flat-roof wagons are the shorter wheelbase, but I don't know if they had the boxed frames or not. (length diff is in the back door area) - You are correct about the extra stiffeners being on the convertibles and they should actually be easy enough to duplicate since they are really nothing more that corner braces.  Remember that the most noticable difference is not just the braces, but actually the factory boxing of the frame.  The boxed frame is shared with the GTO and 442 of the same year and was used on both the hardtop and convertible cars.  The convertible and wagon are the onto two that I know of that recived the extra bracing in the rear.  I have some pictures of this is anyone is interested?

* there were different dashes used - padded all the way across vs. a smaller plastic surround. Yes and be careful of the differences between the Special and Skylark.
* 2-door hardtop doorskins are not the same as 2-door post doorskins

* rear quarter skins are not being reproduced.  do four-door skins work or are they just a little different? Yes with some trimming, the four door quarters can be grafted onto the car and look really nice.  Remember that the dog leg will not be complete as it's much smaller on a 4 door panel and that the sail panels are different and will be unusable.

* '64 front fenders will not fit the '65s (diff by bumpers) Yes correct.  The rear bumpers are the same however the fronts differ a lot.  The parking lights are different and the bumper ends are much taller on the ends than on the 65 which mean that the fenders are physically different.  The way I've always used to spot the difference is to look at how far up on the front of the fender does the bumber line go up.  If it goes nearly up to the top, it's a 64, if it goes about 3/4 the way up, it's probably a 65 fender. 

* Special & Sportwagon use one front bumper, Skylark & GS another (different blinker holes; bigger on the GS) Yes - the Special and Sportwagon used a shorter parking lens.  The Skylark and GS used a much longer lens.  Although the lenses themselves are different lengths, the actual lens buckets that the lenses attach to are the same and use the same gasket for 65     www.DamnGoodAutoParts.com

* motor swap info for later sbb & bbb

* trans swap info for overdrives

* suspension/brake upgrade info

Anyone else care to take a stab at some of these?   :)
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 64 - 65 Interchange Area
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »

The 65-67 Gran sports and wagons used a larger wheel bearing that required different axle tubes. If you compare a GS rear to a regular Special/Skylark rear, you can see that the axle tubes flare to a larger diameter at the ends where the wheel bearing fits it. The axles are also a larger diameter.
The 65 GS used a RW507A bearing, while the 66-68 used a RW507G bearing. And yes, they are hard to find!
1967 used a different rear spring, with pigtails on both ends. The spring pad on the rear is also different on the 1967 rear.
I have a 67 Sportwagon rear here....the shock mounts also look different than the 65-66 GS rears.

LeSabres used the 8.2 inch rear as well....so there is another junkyard source for posi center sections and gears!

Brake backing plates are different....GS used a thicker plate, Wagons used wider brake shoes...so the plates have an offset.
Brake lines changed in '67 too.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline gsbuick65

• Buick Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »
the hard top doors will interchange with the sedans, I took the post off my sedan door and put it on a hard top door. still have that door.

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:47:12 PM »
64-65 hoods are the same
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »
65 Shorty wagons do not have a boxed frame. My guess is that the 65 El Camino would be a good source for a boxed frame. While the 65 Chevelle can't use an Elky frame, I believe the Skylark, Tempest, and Cutless would bolt right on. I have used an Elky crossmember on a 65 GS. I have a couple of old Elky frames and I have thought about cutting the channels that box the frame off to use in reinforcing a regular Special frame. BTW,  my Bucamino is a 65 Elky sitting on a 65 Skylark GS frame, so I don't ee why it couldn't be assembled the other way with a GS on an Elky frame..
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon