Author Topic: 65 Special Convertible  (Read 1483 times)

Offline 65specialvert

• Buick Fan
65 Special Convertible
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
Hey all, I'm Greg , been romancing my Buick lately. I've had her for awhile, bought it with my high school graduation money in 1980. I packed my suitcase, grabbed my Guitar and my Delusions of Grandeur , and high tailed it to Cali.

Fast forward a life time, now i'm 51 years old, an empty nester, with a bit of midlife crisis kicking in , time time get busy on the old gal.

my goal is a daily driver something the wife and i can have some fun in. No big mods,only safety items , Disc Brakes, Etc. to make it user friendly.

Who are the parts suppliers most of you trust and order from?

Thanks in advance, Greg

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 Special Convertible
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:15:55 PM »
Hey Greg, welcome to the site. Looks like you have a project on your hands! A lot of knowledge here and everyone is very helpful. I know exactly what you mean about the midlife crisis thing, luckily my wife is participating and she has not been asking a lot of question about $'s. Anyways, have fun bringing her back to what you want.

Dwaine
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
Welcome Greg,
  That's real cool that you have kept your Special all these years. I know you will find us a good source of info.
Keep the posts and updates on your progress coming.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline 65specialvert

• Buick Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, I did putter a bit on her today. I'm hoping to maybe enjoy it this summer, it won't be finished. I figgered maybe, dare I say,dressed in primer, and no top. Something to take to the local saturday night cruise.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:49:13 AM »
Greg,

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located ? I ask because there are times when ordering from a nearby supplier is good. Also a few of the people on the forum are fortunate enough to have salvage yards in the area to pick over. Many of the parts for our cars are not reproduced and Chevelle or Lemans/GTO parts are used. They are mostly interchangeable as they are all GM A body cars.
Depending on how handy you are a search of the internet might yield the source for all the individual parts for those disc brakes. I just purchased mine as a kit. Make sure to upgrade to a dual master cylinder for safety also. I purchased mine from The Parts Place. Ground Up / SS396.com also has kits.

1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »
Hi Greg, Welcome!
Parts are available from many different vendors. Prices, shipping, and quality of customer service will vary.
I prefer to buy repro parts at swap meets since I can inspect the part before purchasing, and I save a fortune in shipping costs! I'm fortunate to be near the HUGE swap meets held in Carlisle, Pa.
A couple of standouts:
Ames (GTO) has one of the best catalogs out there. They review the part and will state whether it's an authentic repo, or just a fair replacement.

For Buick-specific parts, CARS and The Buick Farm offer items not available elsewhere. Doug from The Buick Farm is also a board member. :hello:

Wolf Auto Body offers rear quarter repair sections.

I haven't dealt with the larger outfits such as Year One, Parts Place, and OPG much. They are certainly an option. Shipping and returns are my concerns there...
I do purchase regularly from Ground Up, The Right Stuff, Amazon, Rockauto and Performance Years(local to me). All have given me excellent service. :thumbsup:
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal