Author Topic: Recommended shock absorbers?  (Read 979 times)

Offline Alan B

• Buick Fan
Recommended shock absorbers?
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »
Hello,
My new (to me) 65 GS has air shocks on the rear and tired shocks on the front. I think replacing all 4 will be a help in improving my car's handling, especially over bumps.
Which shocks do you like? I'd like the ones that come closest to the originals.
Thanks,
Alan
1965 GS Convertible
New to me driver with new and exciting discoveries every day. (Mostly bad, but still exciting)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Recommended shock absorbers?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
Alan,

The original shocks were hydraulic. The closest to that would be Monroe Sensa Trac shocks. They are sold at NAPA stores and elsewhere. Many of the shocks on the market these days are gas shocks. They are good also.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Alan B

• Buick Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 02:31:53 PM »
Thanks dsags.
These seem a lot closer to what was on the car originally than most of the shocks I see recommended. Gas shocks get the most positive responses, but I don't know if they are enough better to justify the increased cost. The Sensa Tracks are around $100 for a set and good gas shocks seem to be 300 or more.
Anyone else have thoughts on this? I'm planning to drive the car on the street including cross country drives every year or so. I enjoy small roads so handling is important. I'll take the car up the 1/4 mile to see how it does, but I'm not planning on this being any sort of competitive drag or race car.
Thanks again,
Alan
1965 GS Convertible
New to me driver with new and exciting discoveries every day. (Mostly bad, but still exciting)

Offline Alan B

• Buick Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »
After a lot of reading the decision seemed to come down to Monroe Sensa Trac and KYB GR2.

I limited myself to what I consider reasonably priced shocks. At $100 per there are lots of great choices, but I think I'll get more bang for my buck with less expensive shocks and a good set of tires. The difference in the cost of the shocks should pay for 3 of my tires.

Many opinions on both, but more people seem to have trouble with the KYBs than the Monroes.

So, since I want to keep the car close to stock I'm going to go with the Monroes.

Thanks for the help.
Alan
1965 GS Convertible

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »
Alan,

Sure you will like them, but let us know anyway.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60