Author Topic: Convenience group?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Jonesy

• Crazy about Buick!
Convenience group?
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
   Can someone please tell me exactly what the "convenience group" would consist of? Also, what are the custom bright exterior moldings?

Thank you,       
                                                                                                                  Mike Jones
65 GS 4-speed
70 GS 455 Auto
87 Grand National daily driver

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Convenience group?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »
Jonesy,

The bright exterior moldings I believe are the wider moldings are on the tops of the doors where the felt strips go for your windows, normally you got a thin strip of stainless lining the felt, if you got a option you got the wider ones (same as a convertible), your car has them and it would also come with I believe the wheel well moldings

Not to change the subject, but has anyone see the wider door moldings on a Post car?

Someone else may have more in site on what other things were included in the package

I never did see your dad at the show (Back to the Bricks), but was a lot bigger than last year

Regards,

Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »
Guys,

http://www.65gs.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=8&pid=429#top_display_media

Item 48 in the literature gallery lists the items that are in the convenience group. The bright moldings are the wheel well and belt reveal moldings (those things where you rest your arm) as shown in picture 39 of the gallery.

http://www.65gs.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=8&pid=242#top_display_media

Of course post cars came with them LOL Mine did.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
Just a note on this, but you could have wheel opening moldings without the wide trim at the window reveal edge. I've had a few cars that had it that way, I've only seen a small number of cars with the wide window reveal edge [comparatively speaking].
Also,hardtop and post window reveal trim is aluminum, whereas the convertible was stainless and requires a special piece that goes along the side of the top.So, in reality, there are three different sets as per body style. I'll have to look up and see if it was available on wagons and 4 door sedans.
  Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »
 Just a bit more info for those of us who have Skylarks and or Sport Wagons.
   Had to go to my dealer color and trim book,aka dealer album, for this. The wide window reveal was also available for the 4 door and the wagons.
  Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline Jonesy

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
          Thanks everyone, now I have more questions.

The Options Sheet that was available for few is more extensive than the one Mike Tromm provided for doing a "window sticker" and now I'm more confused. I'm assuming mine has the custom bright exterior moldings.

How about option X2? This is the Deluxe steering wheel and carpeting front and rear? They all had this correct? And J3? Instrument panel safety pad? Is this just the padded dash? They all got this also didn't they? Q6, custom padded cushions for bucket seats? Once again, they all received this right?

Now the convenience group. Mine came with a glareproof mirror which I assume is the day/night mirror, a glovebox light, a trunk light, dual horns and a clock. It did not come with an ashtray light. The options that I have do not add up to what was offered in any of the convenience groups.

And last, how about H2? This is the heavy duty suspension consisting of front and rear springs and shocks with stabilizer bar. Didn't they all come with this ?

I appreciate any help.    Jim, I don't think my dad made it down to Back to the Bricks. If I'm not up there to walk around with him, he finds it easier to stay home. Hope you had a good time and I'm glad to hear that it was biggerthis year. We're already planning our vaca for next year in order to be there.
65 GS 4-speed
70 GS 455 Auto

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »
My Convertible has W5, wide belt reveal and wheel opening moldings. Looked at Steele rubber for the belt reveal weatherstrip. Still confused what part# to order. Guess I'll try calling them first. 

PS : W5 is on my protect o plate.

DL

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »
Jonesy,

I don't now if this will help or not, but attached is the Dealer's copy of the data that would have appeared on the window sticker of my hardtop. Also attached is the original window sticker from my silver convertible. The only thing that the silver convertible does not have is the wide belt and wheel well moldings package and a posi rear end.

If you look at the paragraph at the bottom of either document, it might shed some light on these options which are included on this model Skylark. Which means to me that these are standard equipment (options) that comes with the Gran Sport Package. The X2, Q2, J3, and H2 options are included in the B9 Gran Sport Package with automatic transmissions. I think that a 4-speed Gran Sport would have A9 Gran Sport Package (or maybe B3).

Brian, can you clarify some of these questions?

John

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »
DL,

The parts you need from Steele Rubber are 50-0496 and 0497-61. Also see post # 106 in Mark Ascher's 4 Speed Restoration post. Note that the plastic pieces in that post are needed from the old pieces. They need to be riveted onto the new pieces. They are not reproduced.

Jonesy,

What John said. Here is a window sticker from the Gallery that shows the 65GS options.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »
Jonesy,
  X2- this was an option to the base model Special wagon. It did not come "standard" with carpet and the steering wheel was much different , it had a round hub in the center.
  J3- this also was an option to the base model Special wagon. The trim piece that surrounded the instrument area was a molded hard plastic, no pad.
  Q6- there is a foot note that reads "Standard on Bucket Seat Jobs"
So X2 and J3 would not apply to a Skylark or GS because they were "standard" to these models.
  As for Q6, It is a "Bucket Seat Job" as part of the GS description. Here is an interesting point, I have a window sticker for a GS that has an additional charge for the bucket seats. I've seen this on others as well.
  H2- Again, as John pointed out, it is part of the GS package

As to the ash tray light, it was standard on a Skylark, I'd suggest looking at the dash harness in that area.

Hope that helps to clarify,
   Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 10:42:28 PM »
Thanks Dan,
 I see it now. Hope we did not lose the plastic pieces before it went to the polisher  :idea1:. That window sticker is almost same options as my Baltimore Convertible, but I don't have door guards.

John,
Love that Silver convertible, wanna trade for a RED ONE?  :icon_biggrin:

DL

Offline Jonesy

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »
Thanks everyone, that helps tremendously.

Mike Jones
65 GS 4-speed
70 GS 455 Auto

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
Mike,
  It is odd that your car does not have the ashtray light in it.  It just clips into the top of the ashtray housing, so there is a good chance it is hanging by the wire under the dash somewhere.  It just has a single wire to it, so it won't light up unless it is cliped into the ash tray housing where it will get a ground.  If anyone ever took the ash tray door/housing out, the light would have to be un-clipped to get it out, so my guess it is still there hanging behind the dash. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Jonesy

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 08:30:07 PM »
I'll take a closer look Brian. Thanks.
65 GS 4-speed
70 GS 455 Auto