Author Topic: 1965 SKylark Halo Moldings?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
1965 SKylark Halo Moldings?
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »
Hi,

Ive got a 65 2 door Skylark that has Halo moldings, just like a 64 Skylark and keep running into former Buick workers and dealer employees who are always saying that they are rare on a 65 as they discontinued them sometime during production, due to roof leaks and rust issues, yet I personally have never seen one without them has anyone seen one and is this true?

Or are they confusing Gran Sports or Special with the Skylarks?

Regards,
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 1965 SKylark Halo Moldings?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:29:28 PM »
   HI Jim
    I have seen plenty of 65's with the Halo mouldings... Many Skylarks had them but they were removed due to the rust and leaking issues that You have mentioned, the mouldings are very hard to remove without damaging them. and putting them back is even harder (I have tried it) So many times when a Skylark goes in for paint / bodywork they are removed and the holes are filled in. I owned two 65 Skylarks that I personally removed the Halo mouldings to keep the water out so the floorboards and interior would not rot saving me time and money that I used to restore other areas of the Skylark. Now I live in the Northeast, but I'm sure if the Skylark is kept in a dry climate (Southwest) rust is not an issue and Halo mouldings are not a problem... Maybe a member from another part of the country can give us a different view.

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
Are Halo mouldings the ones that go around the sailpanel and back panel  where the Vinyl top would go against the paint .I have a GS Im restoring and was thinking of removing but I thought all GSs had them.BTW they wre a bitch to remove .I hope you can get the clips if I do reinstall them

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »
Halo molding are only on Skylark's 64 & my question regards the 65's, they go all the way from on top front of the roof and down the edge of the quarter extension and roof and just below the rear window and are one continuous loop, GS molding are different and go from the rear window lower corner across the sail panel and below the rear window and back around to the other side

I believe both attach the same way with either clips or bolted on clips

Regards,
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »
64 and 65 halo mouldings are made differently.  '64 has rubber well-nuts in the roof all the way around and a painted metal channel screws down to them with machine screws in the well nuts.  The mouldings then snap over the channel/track.  The track does no go behind the back window--it ends at the bottom of the sail panel.  There are moulding clips in the section behind the rear window with nuts on them from inside the trunk.   In several places around the moulding on the roof, there are are standard moulding clips that fit in the moulding and the stud goes all the way through and has a nut on the back behind the headliner.  I guess this was just extra insurance that they wouldn't come loose. 
  I took apart a '65 once and it was set up differently.  I dont' remember exactly how is was attached, but it was not the same as my '64.  It appeared the same once installed though.
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)