Author Topic: Texas Hello  (Read 998 times)

Offline Smitty

• Buick Fan
Texas Hello
« on: April 07, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »
Hello from Houston.  Newbie to car/truck restoration (41 yrs old) as I purcahsed a 68 F250 CS (Camper Special) in Sept 2011.  Truck is not even close to being complete but I guess I have caught the bug, much to my wife's chagrin.  Was viewing the KC Mecum auction and briefly saw a 65GS (I think) and I was hooked.  I looked on the Mecum website but all I saw listed was a 66 GS but no pictures. After some research, I knew a 65GS was the next car for me.  Never owned a Buick but was driven to high school in a neighbor girl's 85/86 Skylark.  Far cry, we won't go there, right ?  Anyways, you never know what will happen next and I may find myself working on two cars at once.  I like them all, the pillars, the hardtops and the verts.  I will continue to read and learn the intracacies and appreciate the great info posted on this board.  I know the pain, the fun, and the cost of restoring a "classic" so I am torn between restoring a 65GS and possibly purchasing a restored 65GS.  Time will tell.

Any board members in the Houston area ?  Most seem to be in the midwest.  Would love to meet someone close by.

One other question, what is the difference between a special and a regular Skylark?

Thanks again for a great website/forum and look forward to learing a lot.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Texas Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »
Hello Smitty and welcome to 65 GS .com,
  You'll find a great group of folks here and also a helpfull group.
To answer your ? a bit about Special verses. Skylark, the Special is the base model. Some exterior differences would be in front bumper, rear tail light panel and side trim[or lack there of].
Interior differ in seat material and style, door panels differ as does the dash pad and steering wheel.
The GS is an option to the Skylark.

Take a look through the gallery, you should be able to find examples of all.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division