Author Topic: Classic Car Insurance  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Jimmy Stewart

• Buick Fan
Classic Car Insurance
« on: November 22, 2011, 01:47:24 AM »
All,

I've been watching the site now for about a year dreaming of getting my own 65GS when I get back from my current overseas posting.  I'm about a month from getting back now and am eager to get into my own car as soon as I see a good one in my budget come available in my area.

But I have a general interest question; do any of you recommend getting classic car insurance or do you just use your normal company?  I'm active duty Navy and have been a member of USAA for 25 years so I don't know much about the classic car insurance pros and cons.  USAA recommends a company called America Classic Insurance who they are affiliated with.  I got a basic quote from them and the rate is very good, but the assumptions sound pretty restrictive.  It sounds like they are geared more towards the parade and car show users.  I haven't decided yet how much I'll be driving my vehicle and I doubt I'll be driving it more than twice a week but it bothers me a bit to be worried that if the vehicle gets damaged while I'm shopping or at dinner with my wife that I could somehow void my insurance.

I was wondering if any of you have strong feelings on the subject, can discuss the pros and cons and perhaps recommend a different company for comparison.

Jim "Jimmy" Stewart
US Navy

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Classic Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »
Jimmy - first, thank you for your service to our great country.

Second, I use Hagerty Insurance to insure my GS, and my f-in-law uses them for his cars as well.  The only main restriction they have is that the car not be a daily driver, and so they require that every licensed driver in the household have another car with insurance on it as their daily driver.  Also, my policy requires the car be parked inside, but that is to reduce my rate, not make me eligible for their insurance.  I haven't had to make a claim on them (and pray that I never do), so can't rate them on that portion of the business.  I pay about $180 per year for full coverage, guaranteed value ($20,000).  Both my wife and I have clean driving records.  I live in Southern California.

Hope this helps.....

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:47:04 AM »
Hi Jim,

Another Hagerty policyholder here. I have two cars, soon to be three on my policy. Fairly liberal driving policy as I understand it, but you are restricted to another licensed vehicle and inside storage, which I think most would have anyway.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Jimmy Stewart

• Buick Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:06:51 AM »
Mark and Keith,

Thanks much for the recommendations on Hagerty, I'll do some more comparison shopping between the two.  The stored inside and not daily driver provisos sound reasonable as that's what I was planning anyway.  When I spoke to the agent at American Classic she made it sound like going shopping or to restaurants was beyond occasional driving which sounded a bit too restrictive for my taste.  What's the point of having the car if you can't enjoy it?

Jimmy

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:12:04 PM »
Jimmy,

Thank you for your Service.   :icon_salut:

Another Hagerty member here... they are the best!

I had to file a claim years ago after a freak wind storm slammed some stuff against my car and the entire experience was hassle free.  I currently insure two 65's through them (full coverage) with agreed upon value or $30k on my convertible and $20k on my hardtop, my premiums are around $300 a year for both cars.

Best of luck and I hope we continue to see you around here and hopefully with a 65 soon.

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Bigpig455

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Fastest of the Slow!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:19:32 AM »
I've got Hagerty too, and they have a great product. I've got the same restrictions, but the pricing is very fair and I love the single liability charge foe the whole fleet.....I pay 437.00 annually for 4 cars.

However, for many years I had my cars insured through the same major insurer I had my daily drivers with (and where I work)  They had a specialty product for old cars called "stated value" which turned out gave them the option of paying the LESSER of actual cash value (ACV) or stated value. I paid extra to give them the option of paying me less! Hell, I work there, you think I would have known better!

I dropped that endorsement, but kept the policy as it was payroll deducted and just easier. I insured the old cars just like my drivers, with collision and comp. And we have alot of insured's who do the same, and we settle the losses fairly based on current market value. 

But when I finally did the math, I was paying better than 2000.00 a year for all 4 cars, my company just couldnt match the specialty pricing of Hagerty. Plus, we dont offer an agreed pricing endorsement like Hagerty where if the car is totalled, they just pay the value placed on the car when they wrote the policy. However, this can bite you if the value of your car  (ACV) goes up and you dont adjust your coverage accordingly. And they wont call you to tell you you're under insured

Short version

Specialty carriers are much cheaper, but often come with restrictions
Stated Vaue BAD, Agreed value GOOD
If you have Agreed value coverage, watch the market and adjust
Always spring for Comprehensive and Collision coverage - it's fairly cheap and even if a loss is the other guys fault, their company might be (and often are) jerks who have no idea what they're looking at....
1965 Gran Sport Conv.
1973 Gran Sport Stage 1 4-spd
1971 GS455 Stage 1 hdtp
1972 Pontiac Grandville Conv.

Offline Jimmy Stewart

• Buick Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »
All,

Incredibly useful and informative thread.  Thanks so much.  Gives me a lot more information and things to think about than I had before.

Jimmy Stewart