Author Topic: Another new member  (Read 1375 times)

Offline 65Skylark2

• Buick Fan
Another new member
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Hello  I am new to this forum.  I now have my second 65 Skylark, the first one I had was back in 1966.  It was a blue 2 door hardtop, black interior with bucket seats, Wildcat 355 and 4 speed trans.  I had to sell my first one when I when into the Air Force, after getting out of the service I was married and soon kids came along, just not enough time & money to get back into cars until now.  I now have a '65 two door post that needs lots of work, new truck floor, left floor pan , and both quarter panel patches.  This car is very straight and worth the work to save it and it has a '68 Buick 350, 4 barrel carb & 350 trans.  Of course the biggest problem so far is finding quarter panels or patches.  I am looking at the patch panels from Wolf Steel and also using the wheel opening for a '65 Chevelle.  Any suggestions would be great.  Fred Jackson
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:52:53 PM by 65Skylark2 »

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Another new member
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »
Hi Fred glad you could join us!
There are sooo many 65 owners in need of rear quarter repairs. We are fortunate Wolf took the project on. However, I haven't yet heard any reviews of their Buick panels, but Alpha owners have given positive reports.

For wheel well arches, you may be able to use sections cut from an old front fender.
There are also pics here of a shop that used an entire 4 door rear clip grafted into a GS.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »
Welcome to the club Fred.

I heard of a fellow using either Chevelle or GTO quarter parts to fix his quarters and from what I remember of the pictures, they just didn't look right.  You should look around for either some nice used 2 or 4 door quarters (they are still out there) and use these parts with some fabrication to keep them looking right.

I thought that I seen someone had both quarter on here from California for sale (can't find it now).

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »
          Hi Fred !    welcome To the home of 65 Specials Skylarks/ Skylark GS
     Try to get front fender arches, with a little work they will fit. As far as the lower rear quarters the Wolf steel reproductions that i purchased this past summer look great. With very little work they will fit right in . Also i sent Wolf steel a perfect lower section of a front  fender so they can reproduce this needed part . Rob the manager at Wolf steel said that he will keep in touch with me. and I will let everyone know when it's ready. 

Tony G
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:30:57 PM »
Welcome Fred!

I got my first 65 GS in 1967 or 68, can't remember the exact date. Paid $1,750 at Elis Brooks Chevrolet in San Francisco on Vaness Avenue. It was about two years old and I was probably 19 at the time. Tan with a gold top and fawn upholstery, loved the color combination and everyone thought it had a vinyl top. Those were the days and I knew so little. I won't go into how I abused the car, but it was a lot of fun. Now more about your needs. If you are in California I have a rear clip off of a 65 four door that I would like to sell. It is in pretty good shape and it would allow you to back half the car if you need that much sheet metal replaced. If you are more than a couple of hours from 95453 it probably wouldn't be worth the travel expense to buy the rear clip.

Again, welcome aboard. Kurt
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline 65Skylark2

• Buick Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »
Thanks for all of the info.  I live in Ky so the Calf would be a bit too far to drive :-)    I know what you mean about beginning young, I was just 18 when I got my first 65 Skylark and it took me all of three weeks to have spin off the tread off of the new tires that were on the back.  I'm going to do more searching for quarters but right now I have to get myself better so I can get to work on my car.  This getting older in not fun.  I'll try to get some pictures up soon.  Fred