Author Topic: Finally One Color  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Finally One Color
« on: July 30, 2011, 03:12:29 PM »
OK it's primer, but the 65 hardtop project is finally making progress. It is a #s matching red hardtop with a white interior. The engine and drivetrain have been completely rebuilt along with the suspension. There was a lot more cutting and welding on the body then I ever knew it would take, but all repairs were done with metal and a minimum of plastic over top.

I was going to hand it off to a paint shop at this point, but have decided to make a paint booth out of the bay shown.  I have done jams, back sides, fenders, hoods and doors before, but never the finish coat on a complete car.  I can always sand it off if it works out badly. Besides, my Sata digital and positive pressure hood just beg to be used. It will be flame red again.  I am going to paint the shell, hood, trunk fenders and doors individually. This thing takes up a lot of room when it is apart!

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Finally One Color
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:19:16 PM »
Steve,

It's looking fantastic! Keep up the great work. Let us know how the painting experience goes,
learning to paint is on my bucket list.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
Very nice Steve! Good to hear you've been making progress on it.
Are The kids still helping out? I remember a pic from years ago with one of them working in the trunk...

The 'flame red' formula was posted here a while back. It can be a tough color
to match.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:09:21 PM »
Mark,

I first looked at this car for parts, but the owner would not sell any parts.  It was all or nothing.   It was a very complete car in many pieces (two Suburbans and a trailer worth).  It has not required much in the way of parts, but it has consistently demanded due diligence and a complete process.  I have just accepted that it is still all or nothing.  I have learned and relearned quite a bit so far.  I will post updates as I get a chance. 

Walt, 

My younger boy will come out to see what I am doing, but does not stay long unless he is staying low on his mothers radar. My older boy is not real interested in restorations or modifications.  He can drive next year and his hand me down is a green 98 Century with a white bumper that an older gentleman regularly scraped against his garage door.  I told him I would help him with make it presentable if he was willing to do the labor.  He has reluctantly agreed! 

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
This time it's for real: Flame Red as it started in 65.  I am working on the sides and backs until I get the hang of the new HVLP spray gun.  These were not around for the last car I painted some 20 years ago. It is a SATA Jet 3000 digital that I got second hand and sent to be reconditioned. It is not the gun's fault if the paint job turns into a disaster!

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 03:49:09 PM »
Slowly turning red!  All backside and sides are done.  All defects will show from here.

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:02:11 PM »
All the panels were painted and are awaiting color sanding and buffing.  There is a little junk in the paint anyway, but nothing too bad.  The orange peel is minimal as well.  I think it will clean up very nicely. 

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »
I painted the body today after some extensive taping.  I have a few shots of it ready in my makeshift spray booth and then of all four sides.  It has one dry spot from over-spray that will sand out, but otherwise it is clean and pretty.  Man, it is nice to see it in new paint after 12 years of being here!

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
Wow! :hello2: That's quite an accomplishment! :occasion14: Soon, you'll be able to start putting it back together.... the best part, IMO. :icon_biggrin:

I painted my '66 Special back in 1998 or so, and applying the color coats made for one long, grueling day. It was my first bc/cc job with a HVLP gun and it turned out okay.... kinda orange peely and only two runs.... one 4 ft run on the left side and one on the right! The 60 degree temps didn't help.

What type/brand of paint did you use, and was it a custom color mix?
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
Walt,

It is single stage  Nason FUL-CRYL II Acrylic Enamel.  The first gallon was mixed six years ago using the Dupont formula for Flame Red.  I had then mix another two quarts the same way and mixed it all together.  It is very close if not the same exact color as the trunk hinges and other hidden/protected original paint.  I have more then a quart left over (not reduced and hardened). They want two coats: one medium wet and the second full wet.  So, that is what I did.  The positive pressure hood made me feel less pressured, worried or hurried.  I did rip out the back of my Tyvec suit though. There were no runs, but there was over-spray on the trunk deck behind the window.  I would have used a BC/CC if it had not been a solid color or had flake.  I also have some weak spots on the edges of the trunk lid and I forgot to remove one trim hole in the Special fender I converted for the Gran Sport.  There will be a few spot repairs, color sanding and buffing, but I'm thinking it will look pretty damn good when finished.   

I'm less enthused over the pinkish hue on my garage floor though.   :nono:  I wonder if the DA would take care of that?