Author Topic: New Old Guy from the Lake  (Read 1199 times)

Offline ThinPillarCoupe

• Buick Fan
New Old Guy from the Lake
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »
I had a short E-mail exchange with Chris about my 65 GS.......

I found the '65 Gran Sport Directory by accident the other day and once again I am hooked just like I was the November evening when my mother and I returned home in our !965 Burgundy Gran Sport thin pillar coupe. Yes sir. Me and my school teacher mom in the ex-Sampson Buick B-Stock drag car. No radio, Heater in a box, 4-speed, tach and console in another box, Casler cheaters in the trunk, headers in the back seat carefully wrapped up. The GS had only 650 or so miles. I think that it had a 4:33 posi rear end. It had a black interior and only a drivers side view mirror. The GS was perfect and I sat in the driveway just mesmerized by the taillights for hours.

Later I hooked up with the Sampson body shop manager, Jim Schwandron, who was preparing a cream '66 Gran Sport automatic for BB/S with 2-fours and a few other goodies. We became friendly and I would join him at the Mercer, PA 1/8 mile strip whenever I could afford the entry fee. My (our) car was very quick in the 1/8 mile and I could win B/S if a certain red 289 Mustang coupe didn't show. I would drive it to Mercer from Pittsburgh and race on Sunday drive back home and my mom would drive to school the next morning, sometimes the headers would be leaking a good bit and the slicks were still on the car. Her students were very impressed with their scholars English teacher!

I sold the GS in 1969, back to Jim (bought a demo '69 Olds Tornado) and repurchased it again in 1972 and sold it again in 1979.

I really miss the Burgundy Beast.

I think that I should find another Burgundy Thin Pillar Coupe...

...(A little more information about my car after an email from Chris...)

In the fall of '66 my car had an encounter in the left rear quarter panel when an elderly couple's Ford ran a stop sign. There would have been filler there. My car was also converted to a "built" two speed auto when I sold it to Jim Schawdron and he went on to race the Burgundy Beast in 1969 when Buick and Sampson dropped out of racing. Jim also told me that the BB was a special car from Buick. Something to do with the rear end and that the Muncie was was worked over... made into a click-click transmission. I also received the skinny front 13" wheels and tires when I bought the GS back it then had two fours, the worked over automatic, a very nice aluminium fuel cooler (made by an engineer at ALCOA R&D), air shocks along with fresh air piped to the carbs from the inside light buckets.

I don't think that I have any paperwork but if our old insurance man is still alive or Jim for that matter, perhaps I can retrieve the VIN. I'll do some snooping. In all the intervening years I don't have any photos.

When I bought the GS the second time I just used it for some illicit street work. I had the Olds as a driver. Both of these cars have wonderful memories for me. My mom is 96 and I'm 64 so it has been a while and lots of cars have come and gone but these two are special.

When faster cars are built Buick will build them.

Rob

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: New Old Guy from the Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing this Rob and welcome to the club.

Whether you decide to buy another 65 or not, you are always a welcome family memeber here so please pull up a chair and grab a beer.   :occasion14:

It's stories like these that are helping us document an otherwise lost history pertaining to our 65's.

Thanks again

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:01:12 AM »
Great stories Rob, Thanks for sharing!
Were the 4.33 gears used for 1/4 mile racing as well? I have 4.11's in my blue 66, and it's pushing 6,000 rpm at the end of the quarter mile. 4.33's would really scream!!

Any info on the 'special build' cars would be appreciated.  There were a limited number of 66 GS's built with an 11:1 compression ratio 401 and a Rochester Q-jet. Rumor has it, there was even a handful of cars that were specially modified with stroker cranks! The 'Flint Flyer' is one of those cars..... it had the special order metallic rear brakes.

Looking forward to some more stories!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline ThinPillarCoupe

• Buick Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:10:03 PM »
Hi....
I never ran my '65 in the quarter with 4:33s, I think that when we bought the car in the fall of '65 it had 3:73s but I'm not positive. Jim Schawdron told me that this car had a few non-standard items from the factory. I know that the Sampson '66 had a lot of special parts and it was a 1/4 mile winner in BB/SA at PID in Pittsburgh.

Rob