Author Topic: Gremlins in the Tail lights  (Read 1858 times)

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
Gremlins in the Tail lights
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:59:10 AM »
When my running lights are on one of the inner lights is brighter than the rest.  When you hit the brake the other inner light does not brighten like the rest.  I can tell that the inner sockets have ben replaced.   When it was done both have only one wire going to the harness and the other has been cut. 

Could this be part of the problem and does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks Dave
now wouldn't you rather have a Buick

65' GS vert, 4 speed

Offline glenn4spgs

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Gremlins in the Tail lights
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
The socket needs two wires for there are two circuts one for the tail and one for the brake and turn signal. It sounds like they have the tail light circut hooked to the brake and turn wire on the socket . Reverse that wire with the other one and find the brake circut wire and hook to the one that is hooked up now. hope that work's for ya!!   Glenn
65 red with white int.4speed

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
  Hi Dave
  FYI If you need to replace those sockets, replacement sockets can be found in the electrical section of a good auto parts store for $4-5 instead of $5-17 plus shipping in some  automotive catalogs. If you can't find any let me know I can get some at my parts store !!

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »
  Dave
If you need the tailight socket part number is Motormite #85818 it's listed as GM and AMC 1959-1977

Tony

65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:34:03 PM »
Thanks Glenn, I figured that part out.  I have another question.  When the running light are on all 6 lights should be lit correct?  So when you push the brake is it just the 2 outside lights on each side that are suppose to go bright, or all 3?  And when the directional is on should it be the 2 outside that blink or all 3 on each side?

Thanks Dave

65' GS vert, 4 speed

Offline glenn4spgs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
Dave you can have it either way you want. I think originally all three lit up on the brake circut and your turn signal uses the same wire as the brake so if it is three for the brake then it is three for the turn! maybe some one  else can tell us if it is two or three as my car is still packed away for the winter gonna get it out soon and start wrenching when i'm done building my sister's house she had a fire last june. Need anything else let me know I like wiring!!   Glenn!

Offline glenn4spgs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »
Yes all three light up when the tail only are on that is one of the thing's I love about the 65. Forgot that part of the question sorry dave!

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »
Hi,

I have changed mine in the past and everytime I had to reuse the metal lock insert into the new sockets unless you have a source that works out of the box as i have not found a set from Napa or anyone else as of yet

as for lighting, all 3 light up with running lights (lights on) and the outer 2 and inner 2 light up with the brakes and 2 outer per side with turn signals

I have in the past swapped out the middle sockets with brake/turn signal (or 2 wire) sockets and had all 3 on each signal and all 6 with the brakes

I meet a GS owner who had a interesting idea of hooking up a set of ford sequential lights from a old t-bird which would be kind of neat not sure if the guy ever did

good luck with the lights as they can be trying to get them all to work, also keep things secure in truck as I have had the sockets get popped out in the past really not good in front of the cops ha-ha
Jim

Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:47:37 PM »
Thank you Jim and Glenn for the speedy responses.  You know I think I like it with all three on (brake/directional).  Although I have seen pictures were just the two outside lights are on.  So I'm guessing that's when the brakes are on and that would mean two for each directional.  Huh decisions   :icon_scratch:

Thanks Again Gents Dave

65' GS vert, 4 speed