Author Topic: Wyoming 65 GS Restoration  (Read 24756 times)

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Wyoming 65 GS Restoration
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2011, 08:24:27 AM »
Brian - Interesting. I really am a Jack Of All Trades (Civil, Structural, Electrical, Process). I spend a lot of time working fixed equipment issues i. e. pressure vessels and mentoring the young engineers in our group.

Glen - 2 x 4 would be nice but will settle for the tame 1 x 4. Will most definitely try to keep the oil company in business after I get this baby running.

Dropped the transmission off yesterday for a tear down and reseal. Don't remember there really being any issues when I parked her back in '86. The shop has an old timer that was kinda oohing and aahing over the ST 300 that he has not seen in a long time.

Dwaine
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:47:52 PM by Welder »
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer

Offline glenn4spgs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2011, 11:48:09 AM »
Welder optionb9 had a st300 on here he wanted to give away about a week or so ago. he might still have it. Glenn.
65 red with white int.4speed

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 10:22:53 PM »
Some good news today. The machine shop successfully repaired the crack (dye pen and pressure tested) using the Lock-n-Stitch method. The nature of the crack resulted in a patch being installed instead of a straight line repair. Wall thickness in the area of the crack was well below the recommended minimum, so we decided on a patch in order to catch some wall thickness. Anyway, it is what it is. Now he can actually get to the real machine work.

Also threw in a pic of the transmission after getting it back from the soft goods rebuild. Trans is at my dads shop in Nebraska and I've not actually seen it. Also have a rebuilt torque converter but not being that familiar with this I'm wondering if it is possible for it to not be a switch pitch? Anyway to confirm this?

New air compressor showed up today so I'm about ready to start blasting the frame. Not set up to paint with a gun and was considering using Bill Hirsh Black Miracle Paint applied with a foam brush which is their recommended procedure. Think that will work????

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 07:51:53 AM »
There's a torque converter ID guide over on V8:
http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=143723

Nice repair on the block. Good to hear it could be saved! I have a cracked block here that needs saving too.
Our resident Nailhead guru recommends using epoxy block filler in the water jacket up to the bottom of the freeze plugs. It stabilizes the bottom of the cylinders. It would be a very good idea in your case, to strengthen the repair area.
Product is called Nordbak. Filler should be added before the machine work is done.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »
Walt - Thanks for the link on the torque converter ID, thought I looked over on V8 Buick but evidently missed it (there is a lot of info to sort through over there). I confirmed that the new one is a switch pitch.

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
Grit blasted the frame on Saturday, painted the bottom side that afternoon and finished up this afternoon. Think it looks good. Found the VIN number and what I guess are part numbers. Also found the number 30 stamped once and -10 stamped in various locations. Anyway, glad to have that over with.

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
Dwaine,

Looks great! It's better than the day it came off the assembly line. This is the stage in a restoration where it gets to be real fun.

John

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »
I see there are several sources (CARS, RockAuto, ClassicBuick, etc) for control arm bushings and the other various suspensions soft goods. Is one as good as the next?

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 07:29:39 AM »
Dwaine,

Looks like the frame turned out great. I believe the front upper bushings are only available at Rare Parts.
The rest of the bushings, idler arm, etc. I bought Moog brand.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »
Dwaine,

Looks like the frame turned out great. I believe the front upper bushings are only available at Rare Parts.

Mark

Right. The front upper bushings are 64-65 Buick and Olds only. NAPA and Autozone sell the Rareparts  at a discount. Reuse your originals if they are in good condition. The new ones look different.

Strange thing about the other bushings.....I've bought cheap ones, and top-of-the-line Moog. Both have the 'silent block' rubber inserts made by Harris. Can't say if that is still the case now-a-a-days.
Rockauto.com carries Moog parts. Get the part numbers and check prices on Amazon.com.  Sometimes Amazon blows out stuff for half price if you catch them at the right time. Free shipping option too.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »
Dwaine,

Mark

Right. The front upper bushings are 64-65 Buick and Olds only. NAPA and Autozone sell the Rareparts  at a discount. Reuse your originals if they are in good condition. The new ones look different.

Strange thing about the other bushings.....I've bought cheap ones, and top-of-the-line Moog. Both have the 'silent block' rubber inserts made by Harris. Can't say if that is still the case now-a-a-days.
Rockauto.com carries Moog parts. Get the part numbers and check prices on Amazon.com.  Sometimes Amazon blows out stuff for half price if you catch them at the right time. Free shipping option too.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep plugging away.

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2011, 04:17:45 PM »
Slow but steady progress. Wonderful day in Wyoming, but looking towards winter cause I just had 5 cords of wood delivered.....was 34F the other morning.

Dwaine

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »
Dwaine, looks great! keep working away at it! Jon

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »
Built a rear axle dolly this morning using parts from a P.O.S. engine stand and a trampoline frame. Had been soaking the greasy areas over the last couple of days. Got the axle up on the dolly and pressure washed off what I could. Have similar markings that others have found. Intersting though that the black paint I can find looks like it was painted from the top down (see Pic 10a and 11a). Don't see any paint on the case and found fresh cast iron under the sludge (see Pic 1). May have to soak on this some but assume at this point that the case will be painted cast iron gray, the axle tubes black, and will try to replicate the various markings. So far I see green, blue, yellow, pink, and white. Axle marking says A-49 with the posi stamp.

Dwaine

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »
Dwaine, looking good. Show us the completed rear axle when its done. Should be as nice as the front suspension pieces which are sweet.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60