Drivetrain > The Nailhead

Need Help Identifying an Engine

(1/3) > >>

msmunger52:
I'm helping a friend ID an engine that came with a partially disassembled 65 GS she purchased.  The only number she can find stamped on the valley pan rail on the front of block is N392238CAL. The car's VIN is 444375Z110871.  This number does not fit any of the Nailhead engine code patterns I've seen. I'm attaching photos of the engine and the number on the valley pan rail.
Any idea what size, year, etc. engine this is?

Mike

jmos4:
Hi,

Looks to have the correct mounts and rear sump pan, big plus did she get the proper exhaust manifolds as all of that are the semi-rare parts to get a Nailhead in a A-body.

The CAL on the Stamping looks a little different to me, though haven't looked that closely to Vinson as none of mine are "numbers matching".

The engine code should be LR or LT for a 65 Gran Sport.

You might want to check the block casting on the bellhousing lip of the block to make sure it's a 401 or possibly a 425 this will have  large lug on the drivers side Team Buick has a good reference and list of casting numbers.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_425.php

Either way as long as the block is not cracked or any issues with cylinder walls it should be usable in her GS. Does it rotate or supposed to be rebuilt?

Regards,
Jim

WkillGS:

--- Quote from: msmunger52 on April 05, 2024, 02:58:07 PM ---.....
 stamped...block...N392238CAL. The car's VIN is 444375Z110871. 

--- End quote ---

I'm stumped. I haven't seen an engine stamping in that format.
The '5Z' in the VIN means it was built at the Fremont, California assembly plant in 1965.
Normally, the engine stamp would be the same last 8 digits, 5Z110871, a partial match to to VIN.

Earlier engines (pre '64 or '63?) didn't use that convention.
I looked around and saw some info posted by Sean Smith which mentioned Canada engines.
https://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/vin.336848/#post-2836509
Normally, the first letter is the engine code (to '64). A suffix such as 'L' = low compression. In your case there's a 'CAL' which could be California emissions.

From another of Sean's posts:
>>>
B254918L

B = 401 V8, 2 bbl carb from 4400 series (LeSabre)
254918 = sequential number, range was about 248,977 to 263,360 for 1963
L = Low compression, this should be the same as the JS production code engines in the US
<<<
And:
>>>
There is a also Canadian manual for the 1965 fullsize cars which has info on the 401 and 425.

38 = 401 V8
5 = 1965
690416 = sequential number starting a 690001 for 401 V8
<<<

Do you know if this car was always in the US?
I see there's a bellhousing. If it's a 4 speed, sometimes the VIN is stamped on the tailhousing or support plate.

The '914' cylinder head castings were used 63-66.
There's a block casting number behind the distributor.
And the crankshaft was different at the flexplate/flywheel flange before 1964.

This is quite a mystery!

msmunger52:
Thank you Jim and Walt for your replies.

The car is a Factory 4-speed. The T-10 has the GS stamp, but we can't find a serial number on it. It's doubtful that the car was ever outside the US.  We suspect that the owner from whom my friend purchased the car included this non-original engine, but led my friend to believe it was original to the car.  Therefore the engine could have come from anywhere.
 I've asked the owner to provide pictures of the exhaust manifolds so we can determine whether these are correct for a GS.  Also photos of the back of engine at bellhousing to get the block casting code and other bumps, symbols, etc. in that area. The engine was originally the Buick Green (photo attached). I'll post additional photos as I receive them.

Rollaround:
I don’t even know what I don’t know on this subject. Is it possible that this engine started life as commercial, industrial or marine engine?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version