Author Topic: Water leak in my 300  (Read 368 times)

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
Water leak in my 300
« on: February 26, 2024, 11:46:42 PM »
Hi Guys,
Its been a sad few day here. I fired the 300 up it was missing and sounded terrible. After having a deeper look I found a bent pushrod on cylinder 3 exhaust and the valve is stuck open. I cannot see any evidence indicating the piston has collided with the valve, there seems to be plenty of clearance.

I've removed the head leaving the gasket stuck on the head, nothing jumped out at me indicating what the problem is. After a week or so I popped the gasket off the head noticing a rust stain between the head and the gasket. I'm not sure if this is the result of getting wet when removed and rusting while sitting on the bench or this is the leak. I have access to a heated water bath and pressure testing equipment I'm considering using to seal and test the head and inlet manifold for leaks between water jacket and exhaust chambers.

The mechanic who built the motor is coming to my place on Friday to inspect and come up with a solution, its disappointing but I'm over it and ready to roll my sleeves up and fix it.

Any suggestions or availability for valves and push rods...even secondhand heads out there.

:BangHead:
Marcus

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Water leak in my 300
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 11:54:36 PM »
Water sludge on pistons

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
So sorry about your setback. (Re: Water leak in my 300)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 01:41:24 PM »
Dear Marcus and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Its been a sad few day here. I fired the 300 up it was missing and sounded terrible. After having a deeper look I found a bent pushrod on cylinder 3 exhaust and the valve is stuck open.
. . .
The mechanic who built the motor is coming to my place on Friday to inspect and come up with a solution, its disappointing but I'm over it and ready to roll my sleeves up and fix it.
. . .

Unfortunately, I don't know of a resource for parts for the 300.  I would check TA-Performance but they don't carry a lot of 300 parts.  Hopefully someone else on this board can offer you some suggestions.

I definitely want to offer you some sympathy though.  It is definitely a tough setback.  I'm glad you have decided to continue with the project, but still, it is a real disappointment.

So sorry that you find yourself in the predicament you and your car are in.

Edouard

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 01:49:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about your motor, hope it gets sorted out soon!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 11:52:39 PM »
Hi Buick Fans,

I have been working away trying to find the cause of the water leak in my 300. Thought I would share my findings with the "experts" on this forum. It complex and interesting, I will try and keep my finding as short as possible, as always please feel free to question my post if you have any suggestions or advice.

In short it looks like I have a crack in the LHS head, this is where the bent pushrods and seized valves were found (cylinder 3). I made a test rig, consisting of a stand to hold the head, brass blanking plates and a test gauge with compressed air inlet. The test was completed with the head submerged in heated water.

First, I made the blanking plates and added 30 psi of pressure, over about 10hrs the pressure leaked out. I submerged the test rig in hot water and re-pressurised finding a small leak on a blanking plate that was easy to seal, for a while it was holding pressure. Next, I noticed the pressure was increasing. I thought this was from heated air expanding in the water jacket and creating pressure.

I started to notice bubbles escaping from the (not sure on terminology here) balance port that allows exhaust gas to travel across the inlet manifold from the RHS head and out the LHS exhaust. the bubbles were steady and consistent regardless of the air pressure applied. I noted the bubble location was above cylinder 3. This is where it gets interesting....

I removed air pressure and left it alone for a few hours, when I came back it was still leaking bubbles at the same rate, this was with the ball valve open on my test rig. I thought how can air be escaping the head and not through the open ball valve? obviously, the angle and position of the head had an influence on the bubble escape path, but it just didn't make sense. I closed the valve on my air inlet point and noticed a pressure increase, by this stage the water had cooled. It all got the better of me so I left it overnight.

Next morning there was no change, bubbles escaping and pressure increasing when the valve was closed. I came to the conclusion it must be gas not air, so I held a flame against the bubbes and yep, they crackled and burnt. I spoke to a mate of mine who is an industrial chemist, he explained it appeared to be hydrogen as the gas bubbles imploded not exploded and hydrogen is generated when a metal reacts with acid. The heads had been submerged in acid during machining and very possible a residual was still in the cast iron.

I let it sit another night and found the next morning there were no bubbles or pressure. I added compressed air and had bubbles and pressure generation instantly. This led me to the thought I have a small porosity crack in the head.

Lucky for me I'm in the process of buying another 300 from one of Chucks mates, I will strip the heads off the engine and fit to mine. If anyone has a set of 300 heads laying around, I'm interested so I could have two running engines.

I will post a few photos to help explain my process, the pink ballon was my hydrogen catcher.

Hope that all made sense, happy to hear from any readers.

Marcus

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 11:55:06 PM »
Test rig in hot water.