Author Topic: Gran Sport grille embkem  (Read 1333 times)

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Gran Sport grille embkem
« on: March 15, 2023, 04:49:20 PM »
 I kept thinking I was seeing things but isn?t the Gran Sport emblem in the wrong spot on the home page car ? It is supposed to be centered on the grille ribs. I don?t want anyone thinking they can get these details past us LOL?  I just spent a couple months looking for a real GS and it is surprising what is out there that isn?t anywhere near what is advertised so I have to laugh at the nice cars too. Is the car pictured someone?s  car or just a stock photo? It looks like a very nice car if it exists in the real world.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Gran Sport grille embkem
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 09:11:27 PM »
That one is wrong. It was featured that way in a magazine too.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 05:22:23 AM »
Hi,

Seen the earlier badge in hat I would consider the wrong place as well, and even in old magazines, although it could also have depended upon the person installing the emblem, was it a Friday or Monday....

Regards,
Jim
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 10:23:19 AM »
What day,month did they switch emblems  from small to large? .jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 11:16:26 AM »
These cars were built in multiple factories, so the switch over varied depending on when each plant used up their stock of the original style emblem.
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 07:34:43 PM »
    The GS on the opening page was purchased by my friend Mario (sight unseen) from an ad in a magazine. Then had it shipped up here to NYC. He rented a garage to keep it in.  Mario showed me  paperwork & photos that the GS had a complete restoration by the previous owner. It is a real nice fully loaded GS.
Unfortunately he rarely used it and lost interest in it and put it up for sale for a reasonable low price. And yes, I noticed that the grille emblem was too high but Mario said " leave it alone" it was probably put in the wrong place when the GS was re-assembled during restoration. Mario wanted me to buy it but the GS had too many options for me, I like my GSs plain & simple. The less options the less problems !  I mentioned that the GS was for sale at the next few Long Island Chapter BCA Meetings and one of our members "Bob" had some interest in it and came to take a look at it and purchased it. Bob cleaned it up and made some major upgrades and really took it up to the next level it's a stunning example of a 65 GS. Several years ago Bob retired and moved to Florida and took his Buicks with him. So the GS is back in Florida where it came from. And I completely forgot about the emblem being too high until schlepcar mentioned it. Sometimes life gets in the way ! I do talk to bob on occasion, so I will tell him of the emblem. And the rest is up to him....

Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 07:53:05 PM »
It?s funny how everybody knows somebody that knows what?s going on. I always wondered if it was a car that was still out there. As far as the small world goes?.Wheelz from Florida sold  a 53K mile GS after he and it appeared on All Girls Garage and someone else restored it. I was a little slow figuring out where I had seen the car before when it showed up here at our garage in Michigan it looked very familiar. It is the car we ended up purchasing after looking at too much out of reality starstruck sellers.  Does anyone know who restored it ? Car is definitely actual mileage and looks like someone put a lot of detail into it.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 10:36:17 PM »
It?s funny how everybody knows somebody that knows what?s going on. I always wondered if it was a car that was still out there. As far as the small world goes?.Wheelz from Florida sold  a 53K mile GS after he and it appeared on All Girls Garage and someone else restored it. I was a little slow figuring out where I had seen the car before when it showed up here at our garage in Michigan it looked very familiar. It is the car we ended up purchasing after looking at too much out of reality starstruck sellers.  Does anyone know who restored it ? Car is definitely actual mileage and looks like someone put a lot of detail into it.
You have that red and white car now? Post up some pics!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 09:39:53 AM »
 We put it away til spring but I will try to get some recent pics. New white interior,original road wheels,and completely detailed under hood and trunk. The car is in nice condition underneath so I believe it was likely a southern vehicle. My dad wanted a nice one to drive and I don?t think the 4-speed car sounded like something my mom could get on board with because she will be driving it also. It runs and drives like a low mileage car and definitely not molested of its factory parts.

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2023, 09:27:38 AM »
Jim,

This is basically how it looked after restoration. Some things were not totally correct but they still did a nice job on it overall. Everything mechanical under the hood is still factory correct and numbers matching. Some things are a bit overdone like the gloss black and black dash that should be gray. All in all it is a pretty nice car that can be driven anywhere and that is what I was looking for. There were a few that we never got a chance to look at that were just too far away to take the trip right now. One of the members on here advertised a dark blue car that looked exceptionally nice but we did not inspect it in person and I had already spoke with the owner of this car. Dan

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-461108/1965-buick-gran-sport/