Projects & Restorations > Projects & Restorations

Code Z hardtop, slow & steady.

(1/3) > >>

option B9:
   I last posted on July 12th, To say the least I've been very busy working on 2 Gran Sports this past summer. Most of the time on the Red Coupe, but in between the code Z hardtop had to have some love too.. By the end of  June the suspension & brakes were completed and a new set of tires was necessary, so 215/70R14 went on the front and 245/60R14 in the rear along with a new 215/R7014 for the spare. I then removed and restored the console then added a correct tach. The drivers seat was in very poor condition with springs coming thru what was left of the vinyl. So the seat was sent out for repair and a good used original seat cover was installed (thanks Loren).
I had noticed that the crossover pipe was leaking, so it was removed blasted and a repair kit was installed. Well since I was doing that I might as well replace the leaking heater core and maybe get rid of that awful smell ! Yes, it was the original core !  So I had to drill out that bolt and when the core box was removed I had a mess to deal with, the firewall insulation was soaked with years of antifreeze and that's where the smell was from. So I removed all the insulation, scraped the rust scale, cleaned & painted the firewall and no more smell. The heater box was restored and the proper Brass/Copper core was added (thanks to Summit Racing).
 I cleaned up the engine compartment and painted the engine Buick green, added the chrome dress-up kit that I've had sitting in a box for over 20 years.. I took the GS out for a drive one afternoon and got caught in a rain storm, afterwards I opened the trunk to find lake Skylark !! So I guess I should address the crispy cornflakes under the vinyl top ? So one afternoon I removed the lower window stainless & cut open the vinyl top to find that the tin worm ate most of the rear deck (see photos) I don't have the time to repair it this year, but I know what I will be doing next August..So I used some tape and a tube of black silicone and made temporary repairs until next year. I have 2 more major items that need to be addressed The replacement of the engine compartment wire harness and the turn signal light switch assembly. I will get to it.. eventually.... The adventure continues.

Tony 

option B9:
more photos

Loren At 65GS:
Wow! The metal worms really did a job on that. Shame you're on the east side. James Bosman has a complete top for sale in Sturgeon Bay, WI.

Loren

option B9:
I contacted Jim this week, He is going to cut out the sections that I need and ship them out to me.

Tony

Loren At 65GS:

--- Quote from: option B9 on October 20, 2023, 07:05:33 PM ---I contacted Jim this week, He is going to cut out the sections that I need and ship them out to me.

Tony

--- End quote ---

That's fantastic.

Loren

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version