Projects & Restorations > Projects & Restorations

Projects & Restorations, Saving the Code Z Hardtop.

(1/2) > >>

option B9:
  Hi everyone, I'm bringing this post from General Discussion to Projects & Restorations because I have no choice but to do some work on it to keep the water out and make it safe to drive until I can devote more time to the project, the Summer or Fall of 2024.
   We had an unexpected rain last Wednesday night, and I did not have the tarp covering the GS and the trunk was all wet the next day. So to prevent any further damage I had to open up the crispy spots under the original vinyl top and see the damage and temporarily patch it. I cut open both sides in the lower corners, both sides had large holes. Then I removed the lower molding, and the whole lower channel was filled with dirt. I used the shop vac to clean out the channel and I noticed the the channel was rotted completely, from one end to the other. To make the temporary fix I used 1/2 foam backing rod to take up the space in the channel then I covered it with a thin layer of 100% black silicone caulk. To repair the large holes on each side. I primed the rusted areas, then covered it with gaffers tape then a thin layer of silicone to water proof it. I let it dry over night . I water tested it and no leaks.  See photos..
   Next problem, no right brake lights.  :icon_scratch:

Tony

elagache:
Sorry to hear about the unexpected damage Tony,

The weather is definitely more volatile these days.

Edouard 

telriv:
Part of the norm & to be expected on a 58yr. old vehicle.

Luckily some of the problem is available, I think GTO is the same.

Just A LOT of work to replace.

That'll learn ya to put the cover on it.

In comparison the brake lights are easy.

1st, thing to check is grounds.

Tom T.

schlepcar:
  You're a brave man lifting that vinyl.  Now that you have swam half way across you can't really turn back. Front glass,rear glass....some metal work and duraglass. I would think it could be done without getting below mouldings. I don't think I have seen many that have not rusted there. Some of these cars got the vinyl top added just to cover the rust after they were traded in.

option B9:
Hi everyone :hello: The rust repair does not scare me at all. Looking for a repro patch panel OR taking photos and sending them down to DVAP in AZ is the time consuming part that I don't mind doing in the off season. Tom, I will look into  Pontiac replacement panels and see if they have something I can use.  Now the brake lights not working problem is definitely in the steering column, because the previous owner has a button on the dash with a wire going up into the column to operate the horn and if you jiggle the signal light lever the brake lights work then eventually stop working.. I need to pull the wheel and get the replacement parts...

Tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version