Drivetrain > Differentials, Axles & Brakes

Is there a better brake shoe ?

(1/1)

option B9:
 I'm planning to remove the drums and check the braking system on the convertible within the next few weeks. If the brake shoes need replacing is there a better brake shoe for better stopping ? Or replace them with the standard shoe ? Disc brakes are the way to go, I've installed them on my Red GS and it makes it more fun to drive ! but I want to keep the convertible stock. Any comments or advice gladly accepted..  :help:

Tony

gssizzler:
Performance friction and muscle car brakes have kits for our cars! Semi metallic and ceramic shoes for more stopping power! If your not concerned about being 100 original! Disc brakes on the front are a excellent choice! I have them on my post car and the the car stops excellent! You have to run disc brake road wheels and you have to run 15 inch wheels with some of the setups! Also power stop makes a nice rear kit!

option B9:
 Thanks for the quick reply gssizzler. I want to keep the drum brakes on this GS, I just thought that there might be a better choice of shoe. I'm going to look at the two companies that you provided along with another shoe that was listed at Summit Racing called Powerstop B245 for GM A bodies, its a semi-metallic shoe. I will call Summit tomorrow and see if they can give me more information then what is listed on the website.

Tony  :icon_thumright:

Mark Ascher:
Tony,

I had shoes relined for another car I have by Rochester Clutch & Brake. I called Sam. Here's his contact info:

Sam
Rochester clutch and brake
827 Phillips rd
Victor ny 14564
585-924-3717

I just got the car running late last October (not a Buick), so there's only a few miles on it. I should have a better handle on how they work this summer.
They relined the shoes, machined the drums and arc'd the shoes to the drums for less than $300. of course there's shipping, but that should
be quite a bit less for you than out here in the still frozen, windswept, overcast, sunless and starless northern plains. Hope that helps.

Mark

option B9:
  Thanks Mark, Once I remove the front drums I will see what condition the brake drums & shoes are in. I'm waiting for some Springtime weather to arrive here in NYC so I can work comfortably on the GS. We had a few warm days last week, and I was able to wash & wax. But now we are back to cold weather until the end of the week with snow in the forecast for the upper NY counties for tonight.
   I went to my local auto parts supplier (Parts Authority) today and they only carry the standard OEM type brake shoes, nothing with any extra bite that may help stopping the GS. gssizzler also posted several other companies to look at. I really don't want to get into a big project because the Red GS will be returning home very soon and my time this summer will be spent putting it all back together. I will give Sam a call and see what he has to offer. Thanks again...

Tony  :thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version