General Discussion > How To's

Painting a painted engine

(1/2) > >>

kcombs:
My 401 is painted Ford blue, not my fault, it was that way when I bought it. I would like to paint it Buick green, but I am afraid it will peel and look worse than it does now. So, do I rub it down with acetone and paint over the blue? Other ideas? Power wash? BTW, I will take the engine out to do the repaint.

TrunkMonkey:
I would recommend Kleanstrip Prep-All Grease Remover.

If you can pressure wash, and the air pressure to remove/dry, then follow up with the Prep-All.

Pick up a few various size cheap paint brushes (stiff bristles) and work over everything and then spray bottle with the Prep-All to "flood off" and then again with air pressure to dry.

Let it dry a few hours and then mask and paint. (aluminum foil helps cover areas difficult to mask)

https://www.amazon.com/Kleanstrip-Prep-All-Grease-Remover-KLE-GSW362/dp/B008QDSVPE/ref=asc_df_B008QDSVPE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312089957955&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17505213040143559204&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011675&hvtargid=pla-569618139042&psc=1

kcombs:
Dang, not for sale in California and that is where I live. Guess I will have to go visit my daughter in Oregon! Thanks for the info Michael!

option B9:
Hi Kurt, If you cannot get the clean strip in your state you can use a mixture of Dawn Ultra dishwashing liquid and Simple Green Degreaser. Brush it on with a stiff brush, let it sit a while then brush it again. Then give it a rinse with a power washer if you have one, if not some warm water will do. The grease will melt away. Follow the instructions Mike gave you and you will have a good surface to repaint with the Buick green. Several coats should cover the Blue paint.

Tony   :thumbsup:

telriv:
Kurt,

Don't forget to cover EVERYTHING well BEFORE power washing to keep the enemy, water, out of critical areas or esle you may give yourself more problems than just paint color.

Tom T.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version