Author Topic: anyone needing a dash pad ?  (Read 3158 times)

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: anyone needing a dash pad ?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2024, 09:52:19 PM »
Where are they located? Maybe we have a member close to them that can pay them a visit.

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2024, 07:48:05 AM »
   What company did we use ?

Tony

At the time of the mold being made and the first run of pads, if I recall correctly, it was PMI and also went by Dash Pad Pros. Since then, the name has changed a few times. They are now going by Dash Pad Factory.

Where are they located? Maybe we have a member close to them that can pay them a visit.

Keith

They are still located in El Paso, TX.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2024, 09:02:23 AM »
There's a lot of chatter (complaints) on the net about The Dash Pad Factory. Too bad, they can do nice work and there sure is a lot of demand for their services. If they could get their act together, they could be very successful.

Just Dashes offers a dash restoration service too. Emphasis on 'restoration' as each pad is repaired and recovered. Hence, it's labor intensive and can get expensive. Here's a video feature of their process on Jay Leno's blog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb3BQhDFWOI

The Dash Pad Factory appears to be a remanufacture using stripped cores and new foam and coverings requiring molds for each product.
Maybe the best case scenario is TDPF getting bought out by a team with better business practices.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2024, 05:52:26 PM »
I have a friend in Maryland that does dash pads for 1st. Gen Rivs.
I'm sure he can do these also as they are much easier than a Riviera.
IF you all would like I could pass on his info.

Tom T.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2024, 06:57:49 AM »
There's a lot of chatter (complaints) on the net about The Dash Pad Factory. Too bad, they can do nice work and there sure is a lot of demand for their services. If they could get their act together, they could be very successful.

Just Dashes offers a dash restoration service too. Emphasis on 'restoration' as each pad is repaired and recovered. Hence, it's labor intensive and can get expensive. Here's a video feature of their process on Jay Leno's blog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb3BQhDFWOI

The Dash Pad Factory appears to be a remanufacture using stripped cores and new foam and coverings requiring molds for each product.
Maybe the best case scenario is TDPF getting bought out by a team with better business practices.

The dash pads done by TDPF are exactly that, "remanufactured".
The product is much different than what is done by Just Dashes. I don't have any knowledge of other sources for remanufacturing our '65-'67 Buick Skylark dash pad.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2024, 03:07:11 PM »
Has anyone here tried just dashes ?  I realize they may be more money but the way things are going we,ll be lucky to find any companies that will do this service . I'm thinking i will give them a call and see if they will do my arm rest pads and how much they will charge .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 08:47:13 PM »
  Hi John.  Yes, I had Just Dashes restore the dash pad on my 65 GS convertible back in the Summer of 1996. When I received the dash pad back from them the area above the glove compartment was padded to thick and the glove compartment door could not open ! So I contacted them and they said "mark the area to be trimmed down and return it to us and we will make the correction" I followed their instructions, and several weeks later I received it back and it was perfect. Just in time for our Wedding ! I still have the GS with a perfect dash pad, And I have the same wife after 27 years. Sometimes things just work out....

I have the receipt for the dash pad. Dash pad restoration $280.00
                                                    Color matching             40.00
                                                    Freight                         35.00
                                                                           Total  $355.00

Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2024, 06:34:35 AM »
Apparently, there's been just a bit of inflation since 1996. My classic car group was discussing a dashpad project at breakfast last week. This was a pad for an old Ford pickup. The owner got a quote from Just Dashes for dashpad restoration. $1300 was quoted for black and if you want it dyed a different color, an additional $300. 500% inflation in 28 years. Sounds typical of our hobby!

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, Tony!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2024, 08:06:50 AM »
I did a quick search to see what dash pads are being reproduced. I was surprised to see OPG has many available, including repo dash pads for 63-67 Riviera, 68-9 Skylark, and 64-67 Olds Cutlass.  Wonder what it would take for them to repo pads for our 64-67's?  I'd guess they would need a certain # of projected sales to take it on.

https://www.opgi.com/Search/Dash%20Pad.html

A less costly option is a thermo-formed plastic dash cover. Less cost to manufacture but also not the correct construction.
Or just have an upholstery shop wrap it in vinyl/leather.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2024, 05:26:04 PM »
Hi Readers,

I have been looking in Australia and cannot find anyone who restores dash pads. I have found and corresponded with a company in New Zealand (Dashboard Restorations) who still operate (quoted ~$1000 USD for restoration).

Would anyone know the color for the blue interior of a 65?, furthermore are the arm rest pads and the dash pad the same colour?

I was considering sending my arm rest pads with the dash pad to see if they can be restored at the same time, thats if CARS only sell black pads.

I have attached a photo of my dash pad, original arm rest pads and new incorrect size arm rest pads to compare colours, would be keen for any feed back on colours.

Regards

Marcus

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2024, 09:03:54 PM »
  Hi Marcus, I have a color & trim album for all 1965 Buicks. A good start would be if you could tell me the trim number on your Skylark & is it a post coupe or a hardtop ? The trim number is on the firewall tag. it's either one of these numbers, 101, 191, 131, 151.
   Then I can check that number with the interior color identification chart and see what type of Blue you have. As far as I know it should be a flat color "O" gloss. to cut down on the glare.
     If anyone has any further info on the type of paint on the dash pad please post.

Tony 
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2024, 11:16:26 PM »
  Hi Marcus, I have a color & trim album for all 1965 Buicks. A good start would be if you could tell me the trim number on your Skylark & is it a post coupe or a hardtop ? The trim number is on the firewall tag. it's either one of these numbers, 101, 191, 131, 151.
   Then I can check that number with the interior color identification chart and see what type of Blue you have. As far as I know it should be a flat color "O" gloss. to cut down on the glare.
     If anyone has any further info on the type of paint on the dash pad please post.

Tony
Hi Tony,
Thanks for response and apologies for taking so long to answer.
My code is 151, the colour of my incorrect size arm rest pads is MET Blue Madrid.
Marcus

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: anyone needing a dash pad ? the correct color is....
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2024, 07:57:52 PM »
   Hi Marcus, I checked my Paint Bulletins folder and the correct color is dark blue poly flat color "O" gloss
Ditzler paint code # 13010. Dupont # 3316. Pontiac also used the same color.

Tony  :thumbsup:

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2024, 08:23:47 PM »
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the colour codes, I will send the pad off to New Zealand and see how they go.

Regards

Marcus